Toddlers: 24 Months+

Clicky Poll: When did your LO kick the binky habit??

Re: Clicky Poll: When did your LO kick the binky habit??

• DD is almost 2 1/2 and still has hers for sleeping and in the car.  She had it 24/7 until July when we went to the beach with my mom.  My mom would take the paci away from DD and then DD would be so busy that she would not ask for it back until she was ready for nap or getting in the car.  I have no idea how we are going to get rid of it completely.  The dentist told me to just throw them away but now with DD2 using the same kind, I don't think that is going to work.  The dentist also said though that its not really an issue until age 5 (even though DDs teeth are already messed up b/c of the paci, the dentist said they would bounce back).
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
                             Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We still have it for sleep only. I will admit, I am kind of not willing to battle it right now. I just don't care that much :(~
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We limited the binky to crib and car only at 12 months. Around 15 months we limited it to crib only. Then at 18 months we took it away completely. Honestly, it really wasn't that bad! I think the gradual transition helped.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We cut her off at 22 months.  We started by switching to an orthodonic (?) binky a few months earlier.  It's a completely different shape and she didn't like it but had to deal with it.  At that point we only let her use it to sleep at night and nap.  Then at 21 months we cut the tip off and she didn't like it, but still was attached.  We had a routine where we'd make a big deal of giving her her blanket and doll at bedtime.  At 22 months, I threw her binkies in the trash so I wouldn't be tempted to give it to her.  She cried a few times, but we worked through it and got her more attached to her blanket and doll and now that is her addiction (sleeping with those two things). 

The dentist recommended her cutting off earlier, and so did the pedi.  I think those are two good enough reasons to stop.  I kind of regret not doing it a bit sooner.

• Around 16 months, she was just using it for nap/bed time. Right after she turned 2, we took a trip to Disney, and she kicked it completely. 

It was kind of funny, actually. She asked for it after we had been on the road for about 15 minutes, and we told her, "You're a big girl now, you don't need your tete" and she just accepted it & never asked for it again. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

I never held you, but I always loved you.
    Baby Squirt- September 2009
    Baby Turtle- May 2010
    Baby Surprise- August 2011
  • DD1 only used it from about 4 - 10 months. As for getting rid of it, well, we just stopped giving it to her and she never asked for it...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"