High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Anyone have pre-e and working still?

I was just curious if there is any ladies here who have been, or with past children, diagnosed with pre-e and still been able to work? I have not got my test results back yet, but the nurse practitioner told my husband if I am diagnosed with it I will be placed on bedrest, and then blood pressure medication if the bed rest doesnt help alone. I know there is reasoning behind the whole lay one your left side to lower your blood pressure, but is it really necessary to do all day everyday? I was just curios if this is what everyones dr has made them do as well.
Team Pink! Baby Girl due 8.2.15
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Anyone have pre-e and working still?

• Options

All day, every day,  if that's what they recommend. My dr said I was fine to work from home on my laptop and phone, but my job is in sales so I could make it work.  It's hard to type on a laptop sideways though...

• Options
    i have mild pre-e and i am on strict bed rest... no work, laying down just up to eat and go to the bathroom! boring but if it keeps LO inside, i'll do it!!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

yeah unfortunately my job is impossible to do from home so I would have to take a very long leave of absence from work, 16 weeks pre-birth an then 12 weeks maternity leave. Hopefully I find out tomorrow!

If I have to stay on bedrest I am ok with it, but my bank account on the other hand wont be so happy with my $450 x 4 months Cobra health insurance payments= all baby savings would be gone.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I had mild pre-e and was taken out of work immediately.  I was told that I could be on my feet/run short errands about 3 hours a day.  I had to go to the doctor 2 times a week, so everything could have changed depending on my bp.  I was a retail store manager so there was no way I was allowed to continue to work.
  • Options
    well, I'm the oddball.  when I was first diagnosed (32wks), my doctor allowed me to go to work parttime on light duty. I went in for a few hours, propped up my feet, got the anesthesiologists' preop orders for the next day, did preop calls and post op calls and went home and laid down (I was a recovery room nurse).  I was told I had to lay down for x amt of time 3-4 times a day ... this was almost 5 years ago.  I did this for a couple of weeks before being pulled to home bedrest at 35wks (induction started at 36 1/2wk, dd born at 37wks on the dot).  dh was a grad student at the time and I was primary earner... so I wanted to work... requested it. the stress of me not working would have been worse.  my ob obliged.  as it was, with me working parttime, + the crappy std policy and a long recovery period and a move after he defended his dissertation, our savings took a big hit.  
  • Options
    I will add, I was working in the unit down the hall from my hospital's L&D. zero lifting, sitting, feet up on a garbage can.  
  • Options
    I was told I had to lay down on my left side for at least three hours at a time 3-4 times a day. more if my bp was up that day. I worked as a cashier so I was standing all the time at work so my dr. pulled me out of work right away. It was hard to do w/ a 2 y/o running around but we made it work b/c it was best for me and the baby.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageEAng:
    I had mild pre-e and was taken out of work immediately.  I was told that I could be on my feet/run short errands about 3 hours a day.  I had to go to the doctor 2 times a week, so everything could have changed depending on my bp.  I was a retail store manager so there was no way I was allowed to continue to work.

I am a retail store manager too, so pretty much not possible for me to sit and relax at all. :/

I go in today at 330 to meet one of he high risk ob's and hopefully get my test results and an answer about returning, or not returning to work. Obviously if I can't thats what we have to do if it is what is best for me and the baby, just means poor husband will have to get a second job for a few months to pay for my cobra insurance.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    At first my blood pressure was high but no pre-e yet.  At that point I was put on bedrest.  I was told to lay on my left side except to get up to go to the bathroom, grab something to eat, etc.  After 4 days I went to the hospital one night because I just felt "off".  My blood pressure wasn't good still so they decided to admit me to do fluids, a 24 hour urine, and give me the steroid shots.  The tests came back as pre-e.  I was allowed to leave after my steroid shots were finished being administered and was told I'd have to come in for monitoring every other day and to be on strict bed rest.  I went to the doctor the next day and my blood pressure was still high even on my left side.  I had to go straight to the hospital for hospital bed rest.  That lasted 5 more days and then I delivered at 34 weeks when the pre-e jumped up really high and laying on my left side no longer helped my bp readings.  I wouldn't mess with pre-e.  It is very scary.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Good news, I dont have pre-e! Unfortunately it took spending a night at l&d doing all the crazy tests, but I was sent home early because my blood pressure was down to 107/76 for several hours and did not spike again, and I passed all the blood tests and urine tests. They are having me finish the 24 hour urine test just to be safe and complete 100% of the tests, but my other urine tests they ran while I was there had no protein so they are not worried at all. Yay I can go back to work next week :)

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"