Washington Babies

Baby sign language ?

I never got organized with the whole baby sign language thing but recently taught Liam to say "more" in sign language.  He learned it so fast that now I want to try and teach him more words.  Liam talks quite a bit, so the little sign book we have isn't very helpful 'cause he can say milk, cup, dog, mama, dada, etc. 

What are the signs that you find the most helpful in communicating with your baby?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Baby sign language ?

• Please and Thank you. Sometimes Ella is shy talking to other people and when we ask her to say "Please" or "Thank you" to someone she will sign it instead.

Light Off and Light On were other ones that she used a lot.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Please, thank you, more, milk, hurt, eat and all done.
  • Loading the player...
  • All done, more, hungry (eat), thirsty (drink), please, thank you, help. Help was really good so he didn't just scream when he needed something. It was funny because he'd start to wig out then remember and stop dead in his tracks and do the sign.
  • Max says everything now, but the most helpful ones for us were: more, food, milk, all done.

He still uses all of them, but says the words while he is doing them.

The only Easter Bunny I can get behind.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Maxwell Joseph 4/09 Lucy Violet 10/12

• When so you start signs? Is there a good resource you recommend to learn them?

I'm going to make an AWESOME big brother.

Pregnancy Ticker

• imageZista:
    When so you start signs? Is there a good resource you recommend to learn them?

I'm interested in the answers to this.  I hadn't really given much thought to baby sign language other than to think "that's pretty neat." 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I tried to sign "milk" when I was nursing once he would actually notice, make eye contact, etc... so maybe 4 months?   Then when he started eating solids, I started doing "eat", and "all done".  At some point I added "more" and "drink" (which maybe was actually "water"?).   Then once he started using some of them ("all done" was before a year, "milk" was after a year, and the others came quickly thereafter), I added "please", "thank you" and "help".

This is a good resource to learn the signs:

https://mybabycantalk.com/content/dictionary/dictionaryofsigns.aspx?letter=A

Although I will tell you that I did a different sign for "help" because the "real" version of help is hard for a kid to do.  Someone else told me that the baby version is more like pointing to your own shoulders.  So I did that.  Ben though would just tuck his hands under his chin. 

• I just looked at the link I gave you.  I used "eat" to mean food, hungry, eat, etc... and I used "water" for drink or thirsty.
  • imageBrynnie2010:

imageZista:
    When so you start signs? Is there a good resource you recommend to learn them?

I'm interested in the answers to this.  I hadn't really given much thought to baby sign language other than to think "that's pretty neat." 

I started really teaching around 9-10 months, but we always did a few. It's really SO easy to teach and totally worth it.

• Thanks Jill!  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you!

I'm going to make an AWESOME big brother.

Pregnancy Ticker

• All done, help me, water, milk,, hungry

I used this site as a reference

• imageSeattle_JiLLn:

Great site Jill!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• Thanks everyone!

I think you're "supposed" to start signing at 6 months, but then you have to wait until 8-9 months before they sign back to you. I wasn't disciplined enough to do this.  I taught Liam "more" at 15 months and he learned it in a week. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"