Health & Exercise
Options

Recommend your/a Treadmill

DH has been wanting to get a treadmill and swears he will use it. I'm kind of getting on board with getting back into shape and I think it'd be a good Christmas present for us both. I have no idea where to begin. I don't want to get ripped off. We have a lot of room in our basement so it doesn't have to be super compact. Don't want to spend a ton of money as we aren't hardcore or anything, I'm thinking up to $800, probably no more. We don't need all the bells and whistles, as we'll be setting our own "programs".

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance! :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Recommend your/a Treadmill

• Options

My DH and I are looking into treadmills too. We are faithful runners, but with a baby on the way i'm anticipating the need for more odd hours/indoor (and close to baby) workouts...

Anyway, while i couldn't reccomend any specific brands at this point you should keep in mind motor size. If you'll are planning on using the treadmill only for walking, you dont need a large motor and could probably go with a cheaper model. If you are planning on running or if either of you are heavy footed you might need a larger motor. If you're tall you may need a longer band, too.

I would suggest going to ***'s (if you have one near you) or another sporting goods store and talking to the people there for advice. We saw a lance armstrong treadmill the other day for $700, marked down from $1900! Bring on black friday!

• Options

I work for a company that manufactures treadmills, ellitipticals etc. Our company makes very high quality equipment for "real runners". I can tell you there is a LOT of junk out there that is overloaded with speakers, bells, whistles, flashy lights and a million programs, but the basic treadmill, belt and mechanical features are pure crap and will break down quickly under serious use. If you are a serious runner and want to invest in quality equipment please go to a speciality fitness store or purchase a specialty fitness brand online. Brands I reccommend:

SportsArt Fitness
    Life Fitness
    Precor
    Star Trac
    Matrix

Brands to avoid:
    Proform, Sole, Nautilus, Reebok - basically anything found at a regular sporting goods store or anything with more music/entertainment features than actual running tools

You can't trust a lot of online review sites becuase those people get paid by the companies to write good reviews.

Also, EVERY specialty fitness dealer makes a very good markup on these products and they will negotiate a lot. Be sure to ask for the moon and make them throw in installation and a free treadmill mat. 

You can probably talk a dealer down from a $1,200 treadmill to around $800 and get some extras thrown in. Get something with a super sturdy frame and high quality belt. Those are the things that REALLY matter, not the music, tv, ipod connection. Just put a stereo in the room if you want that!

I could go on, if you want any more information on what to look for please feel free to PM me!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"