Multiples

So what does a night nanny do?

I know some babies may be awake for long periods at night (DS1 was), but my twins eat and go right back to sleep.  Does a NN just sit and watch TV until the baby(ies) cry, sleep, do they do house work while they're not actually needed?  I assume they're only "useful" while babies are waking through the night?  We've never had one and never even considered having one since I'm a SAHM. 

Re: So what does a night nanny do?

• we had one for a couple of nights a week for about six weeks when the boys were 3 months old. it was when i started back at work PT, and they weren't STTN.

basically, she sat in their room all night (by her choice) and read while they slept, then got up with them to feed them and change them and everything. they were on a decent schedule at that point, but i needed my sleep, so yeah, we were paying her $100 a night just to feed them twice, but it was worth every penny. :)

How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
  • I should add this to the things I would have done different/regret post the other day.  Because I wish I had gotten a night nurse/nanny for when I went back to work.

I went back at 10 weeks and my babies were no were close to sleeping through the night.  It was either one or the other awake and that made for many sleepless nights.  James was so fussy/colicky that he would be up for hours.  I work 9 hours days with a 1/2 hour commute in the am and pm so there was no sleep catch up time.  I was a walking zombie for weeks and would have loved for a night nanny to take a night or two to ease the sleep deprivation.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageomalley:

I should add this to the things I would have done different/regret post the other day.  Because I wish I had gotten a night nurse/nanny for when I went back to work.

I went back at 10 weeks and my babies were no were close to sleeping through the night.  It was either one or the other awake and that made for many sleepless nights.  James was so fussy/colicky that he would be up for hours.  I work 9 hours days with a 1/2 hour commute in the am and pm so there was no sleep catch up time.  I was a walking zombie for weeks and would have loved for a night nanny to take a night or two to ease the sleep deprivation.

Wow, that really sucks.  I'm so thankful that my crappy sleeper was a singleton and my first (so I could nap when he did, not have to take care of other kids).  

I can see the point (especially if you have older kids that don't nap, so no catch up time, or work), I just never knew what they did.

• I had one for the twins for the first six weeks that the twins were home.  My thinking was that I couldn't be a mom to Emerson if I were up all night with the twins.

Ours slept in the guest room with the babies in their pack and play.  She got here at 7:30 pm and left at 4:30 am.  She had children she had to get off to school.  The leaving at the 4:30 in the morning made it almost not worth it to me.

She bathed them and read to them prior to putting them down at night and just got up with them to feed and diaper when they woke.

Would I do it again...I'm not sure.  It was very expensive!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • She stays in the same room as the babies, feeds and changes them.  She also helps with baby laundry.  I have been really thankful for it and it is worth the financial sacrifice as the boys are not on the same schedule and I'm working from home and dealing with some health issues since the birth.  It's just temporary.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimagemy read shelf:
    Melanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • kegkeg member

We had a night nanny starting when the girls were a couple weeks old and it was a godsend!  She fed, changed, soothed the babies during the night and read, watched tv and/or slept while they slept.  She also did, folded, and put away the baby laundry.  At that point, I wasn't working, but since DDs ate every 3 hours, it was impossible for me to get more than 1.5 hours of sleep at a time once you factored in feeding each, burping, and pumping.  It was amazing how much more human I felt getting 4 hour stretches of sleep!  It was worth every penny! 

2004-Started TTC; Nov 2007-Lap with endo removed; Jan 2008-Ectopic (mtx); April 2008-IVF #1 (bfp, twin girls); March 2011-FET (cp); June 2012-IVF #2 (bfp, singleton, EDD 3-19-12)

***Twin fraternal girls born at 35w6d in 12/2008***

• imageAussie*s_Mom:

I can see the point (especially if you have older kids that don't nap, so no catch up time, or work), I just never knew what they did.

I just realized I never really answered your question...I also have no idea what they "do" but if they let me sleep I wouldn't care!  They could hang from the chandeliers with my babies as long as I got some shut eye! Stick out tongue

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"