Stay at Home Moms

How Did You Child Proof Your Coffee Table / End Tables?

We have an oak coffee table and end table  They have sharp edges but are oval-shaped.  I have thought about getting one of the leather, ottoman-style coffee tables as I like the style and it would be safe for DS to be stumbling around but hate to spend money on things we don't really need if there's a less expensive way of getting the problem solved.

I did find a padded custom-made cover (https://www.littletumblers.com/order/?view=all) but feel like if I'm going to spend $60 on this, I might as well invest in the ottoman coffee table.  Anyway, sorry I digressed... any recommendations for a cheaper way to child proof my coffee table?

TIA and sorry this is so disjointed! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How Did You Child Proof Your Coffee Table / End Tables?

• I didn't. I hated the covers and thought it looked so stupid. She only had a couple of crashes.
    Audrey Elizabeth 11-11-06 image
  • coffee table went in storage, and the end tables were set in a way that there weren't corners she could smash into.
    imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagejenifairies:
    coffee table went in storage, and the end tables were set in a way that there weren't corners she could smash into.

I was kind of thinking of just getting rid of the coffee table.  By the time the kids don't need the child proofing, we'd probably want a new table, anyway and it would free up a lot of "play space" in the living room. hmmm. 

• padded and upholstered: https://embrita.blogspot.com/2010/08/babyproofing-step-one.html

cost way less than $60.

• I too debated the ottoman-style coffee table you describe and still consider it for the future. I didn't buy one because I am a procrastinator and life is busy.  And here we are with a motorically responsible child...completely in tact.  We made it through without baby proofing the coffee and end tables.  I remember moments of "oh $*%#!" as she would fall close to an edge, but we had no more than a small bump here and there.  Sure there would have been fewer moments of worry and concern had we been proactive, but in the end, the close call times were few and we avoided any catastrophes.  I like those ottoman coffee tables quite a bit, but keep in mind that the unsteady mobility is limited and will be behind you before you know it.   
  • We didn't do anything with it. I don't know why, we have everything else baby-proofed, but not that. I really never worried about it, and it's never been an issue.
  • We never child proofed our coffee table.  All of my kids have fallen into it or on it at one time or another without any serious injury.

• I busted my head open and needed stitches as a kid so our coffee table went around 3 months old.

Our end tables are not sharp and everything is in the back where she can't grab it.

• We are getting rid of ours and just getting a regular cushioned ottoman.  Our table is glass/very sharp edges and she's already had a scuffle with it--to the garage it goes! ;)
  • imagejenifairies:
    coffee table went in storage, and the end tables were set in a way that there weren't corners she could smash into.

This.  

photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • ugh- DH baby proofed it for us.

He wound up buying a 65 inch TV. Which we use the coffee table as the stand. It is a low oak coffee table that his father build (he is a carpenter). So therefore we don't have a coffee table in our living room. We were going to move the coffee table down to the den anyway-

our end tables haven't been an issue.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • We're not. If she gets banged up, she gets banged up.
  • We removed our coffee table from the family room.  Now there is no chance she will hurt herself, and she has a lot more room to play.  The end tables are between the couches and entertainment center, so unless she climbs onto the couch, she can't get to them.
    BabyFruit Ticker On our way to 3 under 4! DD1 1/22/09 DD2 7/16/10 Baby Boy Due This Summer!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"