Working Moms
Options

Need help deciding about a job

I have a new opportunity but I am having a hard time deciding which is a better situation. Maybe you ladies could help give me some perspective.

Current job:
Small company
Great title and pay
Boring location in a warehouse - 45 min commute
Only work 4 days a week and get lots of vacay time
Horrible benefits - none for LO (DH has), no 401k, no paid ML etc
High stress, unorganized company and don't like coworkers
Not my favorite kind of work - in my field, but 50% stuff I dont enjoy
Travel required 3-4x per year

Proposed job:
Medium sized company - voted one of best in the state
Fun location in city downtown - 1 hr 15 min commute
Work 5 days a week, 1 week less vacation time
Great benefits for whole family, matching 401k, free transit pass, paid ML
Seems more organized, better work environment
Work is very focused on the area of my job I really like
No travel
Same pay range

Obviously there are a lot of things to like about the proposed job. I have a hard time giving up my Friday's home and having a longer commute though.

Re: Need help deciding about a job

• Options

All you have to say is 'commute' and I'll tell you to run the other way.  I have 1 hr and 30 min commute one way and it's so tiring on me and my family.  I was able to handle it before baby came along (9 years actually) but it's way too hard now.  Job is great, pay is wonderful, co-workers are okay, no travel required, and one work at home day a week--I still can't handle the commute. 

I'm up at 4:30 to feed baby, dress, make bottles because I run out of time at night, pump, try to do something with my hair, cook hubby breakfast, and I'm out the door by 7:00.  I get off work at 5:30 and I'm home around 7:00.  Baby in bed by 8:00 and I'm in bed by 9:00.  It sounds like a lot of time to get things done but trust me, it's not nearly enough time even with a wonderful/helping husband.  I can't workout, spend time with baby, spend time with hubby, or just spend time with myself. 

I know this doesn't help your situation but I thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth.  Best of luck making your decision!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My Angel Baby -- BFP 12/28/10, EDD 09/07/11, D&C 02/28/11 -- I miss you everyday!

• Options

I think if you don't enjoy 50% of your current work, it's high stress, and you don't like your coworkers, it might be worth the extra hour a day you'd spend in the car and extra day a week in the office.  Would you ever consider moving?  Tough call! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Is moving closer an option? I would negotiate the extra vacation, companies are very willing to negotiate vac time.
    BFP # 2 9/25/14
    Official Due Date 5/29/15 & HB 143 on 10/13; 11/25 Harmony Results perfect & it's a Girl!

Pregnancy Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickersimage

Off BCP 5/2009
    TTC since July 2010
    DH's SA = Normal!
    Hysteroscopy 2/2011
    50mg Clomid / Progesterone 77.5 April 2011 = BFN
    25mg Clomid / Progesterone 53 May 2011= BFN
    25mg Clomid / Progesterone 44.3 June 2011= BFN
    5mg Femara / Progesterone 15.7 July 2011= BFN
    5mg Femara / Progesterone 14 August 2011= BFN
    5mg Femara + Crinone / Progesterone 32 September 2011=BFN
    5mg Femara + Crinone / Progesterone 14.9 October 2011=BFN
    First RE Appointment 11/2011
    Hysteroscopy 11/2011 & on Med break
    12/2011 Diagnosed with PCOS (Insulin Resistant)
    12/2011 Adding 1000 MG Metformin per day
    12/14/11 BFP
    Beta #1 664 Beta #2 3330 Beta #3 6160 Beta #4 19546
    Official Due Date 8/18/12 & HB 147 on 1/3; HB 171on  1/19
    Pre-term labor @ 29W bed-rest till Emergency C-Section

IT'S A GIRL

• Options

imageemu0013:
    Is moving closer an option? I would negotiate the extra vacation, companies are very willing to negotiate vac time.

Nope, we are upside down on our house. Bought at the wrong time and we probably won't be able to sell it or even refinance for at least 5 years, if we are lucky. It is really tough because 90% of the jobs in my market are in the city which is at least an hour away.

I have thought about checking with them about working from home 1-2 days per week, which might make it doable.

• Options
    For sure do the work from home but start your negotiations at 2 or 3 days so you can settle on 1.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Having never worked fewer than 5 days per week and living in a metro area where a 1hr commute is normal, I see nothing wrong with the proposed job. I see lots wrong with your current one though. Try to negotiate vacation or something, but I'd definitely take it.
  • Options
    I almost never advise to take a longer commute but the new job sounds like a good environment to be in.  Maybe there could be a future possibility of you working from home on a Friday once you've been there a while.  The no travel helps too.  Did you negotiate yet on vacation time?  If they can't match what you have, maybe you could ask for them to allow you some work from home time to compensate? 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"