Blended Families
Options

How do you handle the different rules at each house?

I know there is not much that can be done, so I guess this is more of a vent then anything. We pretty much have the same rules except BM is more laxed on the movies they are allowed to see. Now SO had his moments when they first divorced and let the kids what movies they shouldn't have to be the "cool one". But since we have been together he has been better.

The thing that I cannot shake right now is BM is planning on dropping SS11 and a friend off to see Paranormal Activity 2. I have huge concerns with this because of issues we are having here with SS and sleeping. Since we have moved into this house, SS has been afraid to sleep in his room alone. He is all about scary movies and such, but now has become uneasy that the attic door is in his room. I am worried that seeing the movie is going to create a bigger issue.Not to mention that the plot involves a baby and I am expecting.

SS had asked my DS17 to take him to see it, and SO and I both said no. His argument is BM let him see the first one at home, and SD12 told us that SS had issues sleeping for a few days. Now I know if either of us say anything to BM she will say it is her decision and her time. 

I know in the grand scheme of things it is just a movie. But if it is going to cross over and affect things here then I think SO should have a say in what he sees.

~Amy

Re: How do you handle the different rules at each house?

• Options

Yes, it's a movie, but if you and SO feel this isn't right, that it would be too much for SS11, and it's your DS17 who would take him, then (IMO) you have a say. 

I won't go see it-the previews freak me out, but I'm not a fan of scary movies to begin with...

GL!

• Options
    I think in this case, all you really can do is express your concerns to BM about it. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with mommydale, what else can you do? We have the same issue, BM let them watch I Am Legend with BMs sister, over the summer they would wake us up crying about vampires. A few times SD wet the bed, and we asked if she was ok and she said she was scared. Scary movies these dqys are much scarrier than the older horror movies and I have no clue why she let's them watch that stuff.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Personally I am one to believe that it depends on the kid and not the movie, I watched scary movies very very young but always had a good sense of reality and was not scared.  But if it scares your SS then talk to BM about the issues you are having and your concerns.  That said I think that you are in a bad situation b/c it sounds like your DH might have been the one to create this monster since he let them watch inappropriate movies to begin with and now the race horse is out of the stable.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Options
    Oh I know SO is partially to blame. He would allow them to watch certain movies that had sexual context to it, not so much the horror and scary ones. That is one thing we discussed when we got more serious. I told him while I didn't shelter my two, I know what they can handle and if we are going to watch movies as a family, then it needs to be something that is appropriate for DD9 too. He has gotten better about it, and I know it bothers SS and SD that they cannot watch certain movies here that they are used to watching (but they are complaining less too). I guess we will just wait and see how things play out. I want to be firm with SS when it comes to the sleeping in his room and I just hope SO will back me.
    ~Amy
  • Options
    Handle? I guess just by doing the best to your abilities. We've had major differences in different rules at each house, and it drives me crazy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"