Baby Showers

Shower Planners/Hostess come on in

We finally told family and friends that we are having a baby. A few of my girlfriends have already asked me about planning and hosting a shower. They told me they do want my input on some things also I want to know just for general knowledge. I have a lot of questions so here goes & TIA:

1. How much is the average price to rent a space?
  2. What is the most you would spend to rent the space?
  3. How many hours will you need the space?
  4. How far along should she be when you have the shower?
  5. What would or should the budget on food be?
  6. What time of day should the shower be?
  7. What day is best to hold the shower Sat or Sun?
  8. What items did you spend money on but you later found out was a waste of money?
  9. Would you do a cake or cupcakes (so you want have so much cake left over)?
  10. Would alcohol be ok for a shower (coed)?
  11. What type of food should be served?

P.S. Please add anything you think I've missed.

Re: Shower Planners/Hostess come on in

• We can't answer about cost of space or food.  Totally depends on what things cost where you live and it also depends on the budget of the hostesses.

Also, in my group, showers are usually held at someone's home.  To answer waht I can, though.

3 - depends on if you have to do set-up and clean up too. Despite what I just said above, my baby shower was actually at a restaurant.  My friends didn't have to do any set up or clean up, so we only needed it for 3 hours (and we were done well before that). 

4 - usually around 7 or 8 months is the norm.

6/ 7 - I personally prefer either brunch (11) or early afternoon (2) and I prefer either earlier on Saturdays or either time on Sundays. 

10 - alcohol is fine regardless if it's co-ed or not

11- depends on time of day, etc.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• How much is the average price to rent a space?

What is the most you would spend to rent the space?

No one here rents spaces to have showers in. They are always in someone's home or a church hall.

How many hours will you need the space?

Set-up to tear-down, 4-5 hours minimum. Most showers last about 2-2.5 hours.

How far along should she be when you have the shower?

I personally feel that about 2 months before the due date is best, but I have attended showers as far out as 3 months and as close as 3 weeks.

What would or should the budget on food be?

It depends on the number of people, the time of day, and the time of year. A party of 40 in the winter at lunch time is going to be more pricey than a party of 12 in the summer at 2.

What time of day should the shower be?

I prefer to host at 2. I have the whole morning to set up, the evening to clean up, and don't have to serve an entire meal. I do snacks and finger foods, a cake and/or chocolate fountain.

What day is best to hold the shower Sat or Sun?

Saturdays seem to have the higher attendance rates here, where people don't do much besides church on Sundays.

What items did you spend money on but you later found out was a waste of money?

Premade decor like lanterns, centerpieces, etc, that matched the theme and were mass produced. I can make nicer decorations for less, or buy them from Etsy.

Would you do a cake or cupcakes (so you want have so much cake left over)?

I have done both. I like cupcakes because I can do several flavor combinations.

Would alcohol be ok for a shower (coed)?

I can see the appeal for men, but it's a no-no in this area.

What type of food should be served?

Depends on the crowd, time of day, and season! See above. :)

• Loading the player...
  • I'm in Atlanta, and I've never known anyone to have a shower in a rented space. It's always at someone's home. Showers are generally about 2 hours, and are held when the mother-to-be is 7 - 8 months along.
  • 1.  Like ECB said it depends on the COL in your area.  Here many showers are hosted in homes but a lot of people have also used community rooms, church halls, senior center halls, VFW halls, parks (weather permitting) and some have been at restaurants but they tend to be more expensive so are usually reserved for a smaller crowd.  I've always been fortunate and only had to pay $100 or less to rent a community room.  I have some friends who live in complexes that have them and they can get them for just a deposit that is usually refunded.

2.  I would not spend more than $100 to rent a space.

3.  The shower will last 2-3 hours depending on the number of people in attendance (never more than 3 hours).  The extra time will be for set up and clean up.

4.  8 months is good.

5.  Food budget depends on the amount of people and the time you have it and where you have it.  Restuarants (even just desserts) are usually more expensive.  If you hire a caterer it is more as well.  I have always made the food whether it is light snacks, small sandwiches or a full-on meal.  You can do a lot (if you cook yourself) with a couple of hundred dollars.

6.  I prefer early afternoon if it is on a week-end day.

7.  My preference is Sunday because we don't do anything except attend church in the morning.  Our Saturdays are pretty booked up (sports, etc with the kids).  I know a lot of people prefer Saturdays.  I think it depends on if you have guests who are traveling...they might rather travel on a Saturday.

8.  One time I spent quite a bit to rent a chocolate fountain.  Hardly anyone used it.  They prefered the fruit plain.  LOL  I would not buy table decor...just make it.  Also, a lot of people spend a lot on buying pre-made favors.  Cookies, candies, anything edible is usually less expensive and much more appreciated.

9.  I don't like either so wouldn't want anything left over.  lol  I almost always get a cake and once I tell them how many I need it to "feed" I cut that amount by a 1/3.  You would be surprised how many people do NOT eat cake. 

10.  Mimosas are good (champagne and orange juice) and maybe a couple of wines (this is for a women's only shower).  If it is co-ed I don't see a problem with having wine and beer.  Keep in mind that it will increase the cost of the shower.

11.  I've served all kinds of things.  Mexican, Italian, Polish, (full meals) to chicken salad sandwiches, to just small appetizers.  You just need to know the people on your guest list and decide what most of them would like.  I live basically in the middle of nowhere so most showers I host at my house includes guests who have traveled quite a distance...sometimes up to 3 hours or so.  In that case I try to have a full meal.  I'd feel bad if they left the shower feeling like they needed to stop for dinner!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"