North Carolina Babies

When did your LO move to a big bed?

Baby girl 2.0 is most likely going to be delivered less than a week after Keira's 2nd birthday. We are torn on buying another crib since Keira will be 2. BUT....this child JUST started STTN 3 months ago so I'm not about to mess that up. She's not climbing out and is sleeping great in it so I think we'll end up just buying another crib.

How old was your LO when they moved out of the crib? Why did you move them? Did they transition well and stay in bed? Did they sleep ok?

It's so hard to plan for the unknown. I just know we'll buy a second crib and a month later Keira will start climbing out of hers. haha 

Oh, and we plan to wait until the 11th hour to buy the second crib, just in case. Baby girl will sleep in our room in a PNP for the first few months anyway, so it will buy us some more time in guessing what Keira will do. 

WWYD?

TO ADD: K's crib is a convertible. We plan on buying her THESE bunk beds when she's ready for a big bed seeing as they two little girls will probably share a room down the road. So we don't want to buy another convertible crib. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers /">< imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: When did your LO move to a big bed?

• If you're planning on keeping #2 in a PNP in your room for a while, I would not buy a 2nd crib. K will be well over 2 by that point and should be fine moving to a big girl bed (LOVE those bunk beds by the way - have my eye on something similar). 

That said, J is still in his crib and I have no plans to pull him anytime soon, so what do I know :) 

• Ella's still in her crib and I don't plan on transitiong her until I have too.  She likes it and I think she feels secure in it.    We rented a cabin last weekend and bought her a toddler cot thinking - Ohhhh - she sleeps so well in it at daycare - she'll do fine.  WRONG - It was a complete disaster.  Anways - a few weeks ago - I asked that and here's the linky. 

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/43784674.aspx

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • We are moving Allie to a twin bed between Christmas and her 2nd birthday.  I know she can climb out although she hasn't done it yet.  She has throw her leg over the rail too many times.  And I would just rather move her before she fall sout.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We plan to move Jocelyn at around 2 1/2 or just before (if my pregnancy is healthy and the baby stays in my room until July or Aug). She has attempted to climb out and gotten her foot stuck, so if she starts climbing out before then, we'll probably move her for safety reasons.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We moved Natalie to a twin bed at 17 mo old.  She did great.  There of course was a transition period but very big change like that no matter what age you do it is going to have some amount of transition to it.  We moved her because we didn't want to get a second crib and Claire was born when Natalie was 18 mo. old.  I would do it this way again.  Personally, I don't get the theory of waiting till your child climbs out of the bed (and potentially hurts him/herself).  If we hadn't done it at 17 mo due to our situation, I would have definitely moved her by 2 yr old because she would have been fully capable of climbing out of the crib, whether she had attempted it at that point or not.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • we are moving DS between now and xmas cuz i've caught him trying to climb out but the way he does it isn't an easy way and so he hasn't gotten out yet but i dont want him trying it and falling either. we are working on getting things ready and getting him a new big boy bed!
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I had to just go back at pictures and look because I really couldn't remember.  I thought we moved him before he was 2 but according to pictures, we moved him right after he turned 2.  It wasn't a climbing out of the crib thing, in fact, he never tried.  It was more of a he still woke up a time or 2 in the night and I would always have to go get him and get him back to sleep so putting him in his big boy bed allowed him to come to me if he woke up, not me going to him.  It let me rest a lot better.

With that said, I would not buy another crib if you didn't have to.  Toddler beds are really inexpensive and it's definitely worth the $60 for a toddler bed vs. the several hundred for another crib!

image Connor Reeves - July 4, 2007 Naomi Raye - January 26, 2011
  • I commented in the previous thread that was posted.

We went with two cribs on our Pedi's advice and doing what we felt was right with our family.  You will more than likely deal with her getting out of a toddler bed so you just have to decide whether you want to deal with that sleep deprived with a newborn.  I didn't want to chance it so it was worth it to me to spend another $200 on a second crib.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Sweet Girls

• imageWendyNC:

I commented in the previous thread that was posted.

We went with two cribs on our Pedi's advice and doing what we felt was right with our family.  You will more than likely deal with her getting out of a toddler bed so you just have to decide whether you want to deal with that sleep deprived with a newborn.  I didn't want to chance it so it was worth it to me to spend another $200 on a second crib.

I read your post in Cate's link and I totally agree with you, which is why we're most likely going to do another crib unless something miraculous happens with her before new baby comes. I do NOT want to battle sleep with two kids, especially since she just started STTN in her crib. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers /">< imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • We are in the same predicament. DS will be 20 mos. when the new baby comes. I really want to put the new baby directly in the crib and not the bassinet but I don't think this will happen. I'll probably just have them in the PNP in the guest room for awhile until DS transitions to a twin bed. I just need a bigger house and more $$...lol

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"