D.C. Area Babies
Options

unable to hear HB on doppler?

Yesterday at my appointment, my doc couldn't hear the HB on the doppler, but could see it just fine on the US machine. Has anybody else had this happen? I have my 1st tri screen today and will have another US with it, but it just made me really nervous.

I also had a really discouraging conversation with her about my wanting a VBAC, but that's another post in itself...

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: unable to hear HB on doppler?

• Options

I heard the HB around 10 weeks, but (I'm searching way back to 1st tri days on this) I think if you have a tilted uterus or an anterior placenta, or if you are a larger build (ie, more belly fat) that can make it harder for the doppler to pick it up early on. If they are seeing it on the screen, I wouldn't be too worried.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We didn't hear DD's heartbeat at 12 weeks but heard it just fine at the following appointment.  If you saw it on u/s, I wouldn't worry about it.
    imageimage

TTC #1 Cycle 14 - IUI#1=BFN, IUI#2=BFP | TTC #2 Cycle 8=BFP!! imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My OB couldn't hear it either but saw it on our 12 week u/s.  The baby was just moving around way too much and everytime she put it on the place where she thought she would hear it baby already moved.  Maybe that was the case. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We heard it around 12 weeks with DD but this time around with DS (still weird to type that, ha!) they couldn't hear it at my 12 week appointment, but I also had a U/S where it was fine.  It probably just means the baby is moving around a lot.  I actually have to go back in a few days to continue my 20 week U/S because the baby flipped halfway last time and they couldn't get angles they needed.
  • Options

Once my baby was turned such a way that they couldn't get it until he moved.  That was the longest 90 seconds of my life

• Options

we had that happen frequently- DD would move and the doctor would have a hard time finding the heartbeat with the doppler but always could with the ultrasound. I remember it scared me everytime!

It was later explained to me that the doppler is loud in the womb and they move away from it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    At my 9 week appointment, they couldn't find the hb with the doppler, and they did an u/s and it was fine. Turns out I have a severely tilted uterus. Apparently they start untilting around 12 weeks, and from that point on, they coudl find the hb fairly easily. I was a little terrified, though. I think they took my blood pressure after that and it was sky high. It's been totally normal at every other appointment.
  • Options

Really late replying but just wanted to offer you more reassurance. They couldn't find the heartbeat at my 12 week appt. and I totally freaked out, even though we had seen it on u/s at 7 weeks. They got me in for another u/s the next day, just sped up my nt scan by a few days because I was so anxious, and all was fine. Always heard it after that, though I did find out at my 20 week u/s that I had an anterior placenta, which may have been part of the issue with not hearing it early.

Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks so much, everybody. I had my ultrasound today for the NT test and saw/heard the heartbeat clear as day. I think my doctor definitely had the doppler way way too low, because the US tech said the baby is actually pretty high up. Whew...relaxing a little bit now!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I think it just depends on where your uterus is and where the baby is.  With my first I didn't hear the heartbeat until about 12 weeks, with the second right away we could hear it and with this one, not until 14. 

It's always a little more relieving each time you get to see or hear it!

• Options
    I had my appointment yesterday and they could not hear the heartbeat with the doppler.  Saw it just fine on the ultrasound.  My first tri screening is next week.  My doctor said its not uncommon to not be able to hear it, and she assured me that everything was fine.  Try not to worry.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"