School-Aged Children
Options

My 5 year old still wets the bed

I have had trouble with my 5 year old wetting the bed.  I found this article, seems to have some good advice.

https://www.suite101.com/content/treatments-for--bed-wetting-in-you-child-a300355

Re: My 5 year old still wets the bed

• Options

My 6 y/o son still does too.  According to my pediatrician, it's true for many kids.  It's inherited; my husband struggled with this as a kid as well.  He's been struggling since school started because he's SO tired that he's sleeping very, very soundly and not waking up to pee.

We just try to remind him to empty his bladder really well at night before bed.  He hates wearing a pull-up, so we just put a waterproof pad under his sheet and hope for the best.  I've been doing a TON of laundry the past few weeks!

ETA: The article is interesting.  My pedi assures me that this problem will pass on its own between the ages of 8 and 12, even with no "training."  That's when my H outgrew it.

The one thing I have found that worked well has been making my son pee 2x before bed -- once when he starts getting ready, and once again (even though he only produces a bit more pee) right before we say goodnight.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options

My 8 year old still does on a nightly basis with out his medication. I dont know right off the top of my head what its called but its a nasal inhaler. It helps for the most part, but there are still accidents. His kidneys produce too much urine and the medication helps slow it down a bit.

I have 2 different covers on his bed, one that goes the entire way around the bed and zips closed, the second has a cotton topper (reduces the noise of the plastic) and if he wets I can throw it in the washer with his sheets and hang dry. Its normally dry by bed time. I then wipe down the second zip around cover with a clorox wipe.

We limit his drinks past 7pm but its hard on nights he has baseball or other activities. He drinks a lot all the time, but my mom and I are all the same way so I understand where hes coming from if hes thirsty. Nights he drinks past 7pm, I will wake him up before I go to bed to pee. Its certianly not an easy task but its better than dealing with more wash and that smell. UGH!!

I completely and totally feel your frustration on every single level possible.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My 9 year old SS still wets the bed.  We have tried a number of different things, pullups, alarms, medicines.  We have cut out any drinks after a certain time and get him up about two hours after he goes to bed to have him use the bathroom.  I get the frustration as well and the smell is horrible.
  • Options

Bed is wetting is considered normal since it is difficult for some children to interrupt their sleep to wake up when their bladder is full.. My ped had reassurred me it is normal for my 6 year old to continue especially if one or both of the parents had problems. 

For us, it was me who had the bed wetting problems.  I would have vivid dreams of waking and going to the bathroom in the middle of the night to relieve myself.  It wasn't until the rude awakening of cold, wet blankets that I would be aware that I had an accident.  I did this til I was 12 when suddenly  my brain was able to wake when my bladder was full. 

For my DS we limit liquids after 7pm, have him use the restroom right before he crawls into bed (after his story), have the mattress in a waterproof cover (we have two so there is always one on the mattress), he has to strip his bed (or atleast help me do so) when he has an accident, we do not make him feel bad about it since he cannot control this issue and making him feel bad could make things worse.  I soak all the peed items in some hot water and some white vinegar either in the tub or in the wash and jhave never had a smell issue.

I like to keep in mind that this is a lot like potty training in that it is not something learned over one night or even one year.  If his body cannot inform him of a full bladder at night, then its a lot like a trying to toilet train a baby; they are not physically able to do so yet.  GL to you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"