Georgia Babies
Options

s/o present opening

So, do kids not open birthday presents at the party anymore?  What's the reasoning for that?  We don't have to worry about this quite yet, but it seems like a big change from when I was a kid (decades ago, I know).  We always thanked people in person as we opened the present.  Do kids now write thank you notes? 

Re: s/o present opening

• Options
    We do not open presents at the party.  It just turns into the biggest clusterf*^&k.  I like to snap a picture of all the kids at the party and turn it into a generic thank you card.  I know I certainly don't expect a long drawn out personalized thank you for a present I give so I don't feel obligated to do more than that. 
  • Options

imageK&P414:
    I like to snap a picture of all the kids at the party and turn it into a generic thank you card.  

Great idea!  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We do a combined party for the boys, so 2 boys+tons of presents+20 kids=disaster! We tried this year (because the boys were begging to open presents) and presents were flying, kids were screaming, and I had no idea who gave what...it was horrible. From now on we'll do like we did their first joint party, let the kids spend the time playing and eating and I'll send thank you's for the gifts.
    Grant Thomas 8.8.06 and Reid Alexander 8.11.08
  • Options
    We open presents and every kids party I've been to has had present opening. I personally don't mind the present opening because I love seeing what they get (I'm nosy like that) and seeing their reaction to our gift. But I can see how it can be an issue. Gift opening was chaotic this year and by the time we got to the present opening many people had already left. But we do thank you notes regardless if I thank the giver in person. (although, I have to admit, it's been over a month and I still haven't finished thank you notes).
    Abigail Taylor 09.18.2008

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We open presents but I can totally understand not wanting to do it- especially if you have more than 1 kid opening at the same time.  That is too chaotic.  Oh, and at my nieces 4th birthday party a couple weeks ago, the present opening was awesome.  She was so gracious!!!  I have never seen a 4 year behave so well during presents!  She made a huge deal out of every gift and personally thanked everyone as she opened them.  I asked my SIL what they did to teach her such good manners and she said she had no idea that she even knew what manners were- lol!!!  So that just goes to show that it's not always a total disaster... but yes, I think most of the time it is. 

• Options

As I said below none of my friends open gifts at the party. It takes forever, people get bored, kids get restless (and grabby) and it is just a mess. I would be annoyed if we had to sit and watch a child open all their gifts, keep ds entertained (and away from the new toys) and what happens if the birthday child doesn't like the gift? Or already has it? They have no filter and then it is embarrassing for the parents.

Also a lot of my friends have parties outside of their home and their is a time frame of the place, like 2 hours, and they don't want to spend an hour of it opening gifts.

Yes, kids write thank you cards! I would have my ds do a thank you card even if he opened the gift in front of the giver though.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think it depends.  We tend to have small birthday parties with family and a few close friends, so we always open gifts.  There are usually people in from out of town and they want to see them open the gifts.  As they get older and more kids are there, maybe we'll change that, not sure.
  • Options

imageMrs.Guz:
    We open presents and every kids party I've been to has had present opening. I personally don't mind the present opening because I love seeing what they get (I'm nosy like that) and seeing their reaction to our gift. But I can see how it can be an issue.
    I agree with Mrs. Guz.  Every party I have been to they open presents. I don't mind and like you said it is what we did as kids!

photo bigsister032_zps1fdfe81e.jpgLilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

We always open presents. My daughter is 2 1/2 and we have done this at each birthday. I think it's rude not to. I think it's weird to just say, "Thanks for the present, we are opening it later."

We don't have blowout parties, but we do have several people over. It has never been an issue, even with other kids there. You either have the other kids help open the presents, or bring the presents to the birthday kid, or actually have little party favors wrapped up so no one feels left out. No big deal.

And yes, we always write thank-you notes. Always! Even if you're thanked in person. Just what I do.

• Options
    People really think it is rude to not open gifts in front of everyone at the party? Do you not send gifts to someone at Christmas or birthdays? You don't get to see them open that. I guess I just don't get how it is rude.
  • Options

I don't think it's rude to not open gifts at the party. We have only had one bigger party for Cadence, on her first birthday. I set the gifts aside and intended to have her open them later so it wouldn't take forever. Several of the guests asked if she could open the gifts now. I would have felt rude refusing that request.

Pregnancy Ticker

DD- 9
    DS-6
    c/p- April 2016
    missed m/c- 6w5d; discovered 8w2d- September 2016

• Options

Selfish as it may sound, I think one of the best parts of watching presents get opened is seeing the joy of the receiver. I put a lot of thought into picking gifts and I like to see them opened.

If you're talking about a party with 20 kids, then yeah, I understand not opening gifts. But if it's a small crowd, go ahead and open them.

Lil' G was born April 25, 2008! Big C was born September 28, 2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

It doesn't really bother me to wait and watch presents being opened. I don't think we've been to a birthday party where the kids didn't open the presents and show appreciation for their gifts and get excited with their friends.

It wouldn't upset me though if the parents decided to just hold off opening presents though to avoid the chaos. I guess I'm fine either way, but I do like seeing that the reaction to the gift when they open presents.

Derek 6.30.09 & Parker 4.1.11
    Family
  • Options

We've always had larger parties with 20+ kids.  This is the big reason that we have never opened gifts.  Also, it wasn't until my child was 2.5 - 3 that he really got into opening all the gifts.  Before that, he would open one gift and get side-tracked.

Also, we've had issues with other kids opening gifts and playing with them before Alec even had a chance to see or play with the toy..as a result, we've lost pieces to toys and even lost a present.  This happened at Alec's first and third birthdays (and we didn't even open gifts)

I don't think it's rude to not open gifts or rude to open gifts.  For us, it's been a big cluster **** so we avoid this whole process.  For smaller parties, we would definitely open gifts.

• Options
    imagemaykat:

I don't think it's rude to not open gifts or rude to open gifts.  For us, it's been a big cluster **** so we avoid this whole process.  For smaller parties, we would definitely open gifts.

This is what I meant, we have big parties and for us it just isn't worth the craziness and confusion and I really do think people get bored watching. But I don't think it is rude either way, it just isn't our thing, or our friends thing.

• Options
    o.m.g.  we opened presents at Finn's first birthday party, there were  a good 60 people at our house (which is typical for our birthday parties), and a ton of kids and it was absolute mayhem.  it wasn't fun for me and it sure as hell wasn't fun for anyone else except all the older children who got to rip open every single one of Finn's presents for him.  then and there we said never again.  but we also request no gifts for every single party.  inevitably people bring gifts, not all, just a few, but we open them later and send a thank you note.  when I go to a party I personally don't want to sit and watch kids open presents either, I would rather chit chat and hang out with my friends.
  • Options

I think that if you have a huge party, it makes sense not to open gifts. It just sounds like a logistical nightmare. For us, we've only had small birthday parties with family and a few friends which made that part of the party manageable and fun.

All the kids gather around and help open the gifts. Audrey and Ethan couldn't have cared less that someone got to play with a gift before they did. Everyone felt included, it went quickly, and it wasn't chaotic. Just a bunch of kids sharing and playing with new stuff. Maybe last year was a magic year for that to have worked so well. I don't know. 

We had also toyed with the idea of asking people to not bring gifts, but we decided to have a gift-free Christmas and Eid and chose to keep birthdays as our universal once-a-year gift giving time.

They just thanked everyone in person and we didn't send thank you notes. But I do love the idea of sending thank yous with a group picture from the party. Great idea!

• Options

We do a family birthday for the girls together and we do open presents with it's just our extended, relatively civilized family.  But at a regular birthday party with a ton of kids, no way jose.

• Options
    Huh, interesting stuff.  I guess we will just decide based on the size and type of the party.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"