Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Decongestants for 2.5yr old - Need help!

I know that the good old sudafed is best (Pseudoephedrine) but this new Phenylephrine is in all kids meds. Furthermore it says "do not use under 4" for most of them although Dr. Sears and tons of other sources document 15mg of Pseudoephedrine not only safe but REC'ED for children over 6 mo of age for congestion. How can I get her 15mg of Pseudoephedrine?  Thoughts?

Re: Decongestants for 2.5yr old - Need help!

• Options
    I have used Benadryl on my kids and it has worked wonders. I use Dr. Sears site for the correct dosage.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagemarriedchick06:
    I have used Benadryl on my kids and it has worked wonders. I use Dr. Sears site for the correct dosage.

It decongests? Does it make them sleepy? Do they make non-drowsy? Thank you for your suggestion!!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I thik so. Anytime they have had a nasty cough and stuffy or runny nose I have given it to them and it has worked wonders. It doesn't make them sleepy... unfortuantely. lol. (But it has never made them hyper either).

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I second the Benedryl.  My DD's doctor recommended it if they are horribly congested and are having trouble sleeping.  She doesn't recommend it on a regular basis, but when in need of something to help them breathe better.
  • Options

You really need to speak with your own physician about this, not strangers on the Internet. At least speak with a pharmacist about obtaining the proper dose.

Some other posters have mentioned Benadryl. Benadryl is an antihistamine, NOT a decongestant.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"