South Florida Babies
Options

Questions about Evening Fussiness and EPing (long)

Hi girls! I have a few questions and know you could help!

Elise has been an easy baby to read thus far.  She pretty much only cries when she's hungry, if you mess with her diapers/outfits, and when it's bathtime.  However, she seems to be getting used to diaper/outfit changes.  But...  DH and I have noticed that she has started getting fussy in the evenings from around 10 p.m. to midnight.  She'll eat around 9 or 10 p.m. and instead of falling asleep like she usually does, she stays up until the next feeding.  Sometimes she does after a morning feeding, but she won't get fussy.  I think it might be a growth spurt or just evening fussiness which I read was very common in newborns.  DH lets me sleep during that time and takes over, but he looks exhausted and goes back to work next week.  He told me that last night he pretty much ran around the house with her bouncing her around and singing songs to her.  I'm sure it's great exercise for him, but I know he can't keep this up.  We tried introducing a paci, but she just spits it out.  I was considering giving her a bath at this time after the feeding.  I also suggested to DH to put her in the swing or rocker while he's in his office at this time.  Any other ideas?  What worked for you?

Now, about the EPing... I started off EBFing and I thought it was going well, but MIL (which I now call Grandma MD) started getting worried about her yellowish complexion and the fact that she was only pooping once a day.  She was concerned that she wasn't getting the bilirubin out of her system and then, of course, DH and I freaked, supplemented with formula on the 4th night, and got a pump right away to start pumping and seeing how much BM she was getting.  Later, I found out that the EBF infants do stay a little yellow longer and don't poop as much as FF kids.  But, anyway, the EPing pattern had already been established and it's working out for us b/c daddy and the grandmas can help with the feedings.  My mom has to get used to taking care of an infant all over again anyway since she'll be taking care of her in January.  I've been pumping every 2-3 hours and every time she wakes up at night either while DH feeds her or right after I feed her.  I would like to get a freezer stash going b/c I won't be able to pump at work.  I figured that by January I will have to wean her on to formula but I would like to have a freezer stash to continue giving her some breastmilk.  If you were able to have a freezer stash, how did you do so?  Did it take a while for you to have an oversupply?  Right now, I'm only pumping about 2-3 oz each time which is more than I was pumping just a few days ago, but now her appetite has increased so I haven't been able to freeze any milk.  Any suggestions on how to increase my supply would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Questions about Evening Fussiness and EPing (long)

• Options

Matthew had "breastfed jaundice" for about 3 months!  The kid looked like a banana. I was a bit scared and even contemplated giving him some formula, but my pediatrician kept telling me that this was very normal for breastfed babies.   

As for the late night fussiness, I think it's very normal.  Remember that this could be considered the "4th trimester" for her.  Have you seen the Happiest Baby on The Block DVD?  If not, I highly recommend it.  It really does help you understand your baby and gives you easy tips to soothe them.  Swaddling and extremely high shhhhing (shhhhing to the point that my grandmother thought it was abusive) in the ear helped Matthew.   

As for pumping, I started my stash about 3 weeks before I went back to work.  I pumped in the morning after he nursed and then during his nap.  I didn't have a ton of milk saved, but Matthew never took a bottle and would wait for me to pick him up from school to nurse. 

• Options

Elise is a beauty. The evening fussiness is extemly normal. I think I saw it refered to as the witching hour, but in our case it was hours!  She will outgrow it. For now, defnitely rocking and shhing will help. But I promise, it will get better!

If I remember correctly, my pedi said it is completely normal for an EBF baby to only poop once a day and it is actually fine if he/she goes a couple of days without. My dr suggesting putting the baby by a window or walking around the backyard/neighborhood for a couple of minutes a day to help with the yellowness. Good job on EP'ing! That is very hard work. I never exclusively pumped so I'm not sure how much is normal. But I started a freezer stash a couple of weeks before going back to work. At that time, I would pump right after BFing and only got an ounce or 2. That would go into the freezer. I was able to pump at work and whatever I pumped on Monday, I would send to my mom's house for Nico on Tuesday, etc. I didn't have to go into the freezer stash for a while since this worked out.

You are doing a great job mommy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    thanks, ladies.  i put the dvd on my netflix queue and should get it in a couple of days.  as for the jaundice, i think im going to ignore the comments  she doesnt look yellow at all to me and we have been putting her by the window for 10 mins each morning as pedi suggested  .  if the pedi isnt worried, then im just going to follow her cues.
  • Options

Hi Adri:

The night time fussiness does sound like the "witching hour." Ethan is a great baby except from 8-11ish pm in which he cries and seems inconsolable. It is very normal in babies and you just have to find what soothes your little one. We tried the paci and it has a very short-lived response. We've also turned on the water faucet or vacuum when desperate and it works! Something else that works great for us is putting him in the sling! I know it can be frustrating but it does get better, I promise!

Ethan also had mild jaundice when he left the hospital. The pedi told me to put him by the window a couple of times during the day. He gave me the option of giving formula for 24 hours to make the bilirubin go down faster since breastfeeding can make the bilirubin linger a bit longer, but I chose to continue breastfeeding and the bilirubin went down on its own.

I've been EBF since Ethan's been born but have been transitioning to pumping to get ready to go back to work next week. Right now, I've been pumping after I breastfeed for the midday and afternoon feedings - when I pump after breastfeeding I get about 2-3 ounces per breast, depending on how much the baby drank. If I pump without feeding him, I get about 4 ounces per breast. This is with pumping for about 5 minutes...I don't overpump because I tend to overproduce.

To increase your supply, I would make sure you pump for about 5-10 minutes after no more milk comes out...this signals your body to produce more at the time you are pumping. Breastfeeding/pumping is all about timing and consistency...if you want to make more milk at a particular time of day, then you have to breastfeed/pump more during that time of day. We tend to produce more in the mornings, so take advantage of that as well. Also, I know you are EPing now but actually putting the baby to the breast is the most efficient way to increase supply, there is nothing like the baby's suction. There are other alternative ways to increase supply...with medications, herbs, etc...you can check www.kellymom.com for more information on this.

From what you typed, it seems you were swayed to EP instead of EBF due to the jaundice; but you can definitely do both if you wish. It's never too late. I tell you this because I, like many other women as well, find it easier to BF once you get a hang of it. In my case, I will be going back to work, and luckily I will be able to make time to pump (since the whole process only takes me about 10 minutes max each time). I will have my mother tell me when the baby feeds to try and pump as close to that time as possible. But when I get home after work and on the weekends, I put the pump away and just BF. I realize you won't be able to pump at work but if you BF or pump in the mornings before work and once you get home, you may be able to maintain your supply during those times and still provide breastmilk to the baby. I know it sounds cumbersome at first, but it's all about developing a routine as I am sure you have experienced already. Not trying to change things up for you, just giving you another option that you may be interested in. ;) Good luck getting that freezer stash going...if you need any help let me know. Also, there are some good Lactation Consultants at Mercy Hospital if you need any additional help.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    BFP #3: 01/28/12, EDD: 09/23/12, MMC (BO), D&C 2/16/12 at 6.5 wks
    BFP #4: 05/23/12, EDD: 01/31/12, Early MC at 5 wks

RPL Workup: + LPD (7DPO Prog = 7.8, Endometrial Bx = out of phase)
    Elevated Alpha 2-glycoprotein IgA and antiphosphatidylserine IgM -->
    Hematologist said not to worry and no need for treatment!

Dx: LPD
    Cycle #1(08/2012): Clomid 50 mg CD3-7, Ovidrel CD13 + Progesterone = It worked!
    BFP #5 on 09/10/12 (11 DPO). HCG #1 @ 14DPO = 131.6 HCG #2 @ 16DPO = 509
    EDD: 05/23/2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    thanks for the advice.  i had been considering bf'ing again but hope not to have nipple confusion issues.
  • Options

imageMrsJOSEnADRI:
    thanks for the advice.  i had been considering bf'ing again but hope not to have nipple confusion issues.

If you are interested in BFing again, I wouldn't let nipple confusion deter you. It's definitely a legitimate concern but it can have resolution if it does happen. I was concerned about it but the other way around...I was afraid he wouldn't take a bottle after BFing for so long but luckily he's taken several bottles already and he interchanges well between the breast and a bottle. Good luck Adri, no matter what, Elise is very lucky to have a mommy that is so on top of things!  :)

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    BFP #3: 01/28/12, EDD: 09/23/12, MMC (BO), D&C 2/16/12 at 6.5 wks
    BFP #4: 05/23/12, EDD: 01/31/12, Early MC at 5 wks

RPL Workup: + LPD (7DPO Prog = 7.8, Endometrial Bx = out of phase)
    Elevated Alpha 2-glycoprotein IgA and antiphosphatidylserine IgM -->
    Hematologist said not to worry and no need for treatment!

Dx: LPD
    Cycle #1(08/2012): Clomid 50 mg CD3-7, Ovidrel CD13 + Progesterone = It worked!
    BFP #5 on 09/10/12 (11 DPO). HCG #1 @ 14DPO = 131.6 HCG #2 @ 16DPO = 509
    EDD: 05/23/2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    imageAlbah:

imageMrsJOSEnADRI:

If you are interested in BFing again, I wouldn't let nipple confusion deter you. It's definitely a legitimate concern but it can have resolution if it does happen. I was concerned about it but the other way around...I was afraid he wouldn't take a bottle after BFing for so long but luckily he's taken several bottles already and he interchanges well between the breast and a bottle. Good luck Adri, no matter what, Elise is very lucky to have a mommy that is so on top of things!  :)

Yeah, I wouldn't let that the idea of nipple confusion get in the way of nursing.  It's really more of a flow confusion and you can mimic breastfeeding patterns with a bottle to help with that.

I guess you'll be having the two week well check soon so you can check weight gain if you are worried.  Basically you want to see 5-6 wet diapers and 2-3 stool diapers a day for the first 6 weeks.  A stool diaper counts even if it's only as big as a quarter.

Most women say that EBF is easier than EP.  Pumping can be a lot of work and the baby is actually more efficient at removing milk than the pump is. 

Evening fussiness is so common.  :(  Hang in there, it does get better.   

Enjoy her!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Can't help you with anything that has to do with the BFing, but I can tell you that Happiest Baby on the Block will do wonders for the fussing.  I recommend getting the DVD instead of the book. It will teach you how to properly swaddle and calm her. Works like a charm!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"