Special Needs

second laryngeal cleft repair

Aiden is having his second repair surgery on the 12th.  The surgeon called me today.  The plan is that he will first put tubes in his ears and do another bronchoscopy.  If the original repair did not hold up then he will be doing another repair at the same time.  But, the difference this time is that he will keep him intubated and sedated for several days in the ICU to let it heal (we should have done this the first time to let it heal.)  I am sooo nervous about having him intubated and sedated for this long! Of course I dont want him to have to have the repair again, but in a way I am hoping his lack of swallowing improvement/continued aspiration is caused from the first repair not holding up.  Thinking this way lets me think that his swallowing problems can still improve and be "fixed."  If his original repair is still intact- then there is a good chance we will be dealing with swallowing issues and aspiration for his whole life.  I am nervous thinking about both possibilities. Sorry- just rambling....it helps to get it out.  :) 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: second laryngeal cleft repair

• DD just got a G-tube on Monday for swallowing/aspirating issues, so I understand your frustration and worry.  I know it will be very hard to have him "out" for so long, but if it helps, it will be worth it.  We are always here with an ear when you need to get it out!  Praying that all goes well for your little guy!
  • imageJustinlove:
    DD just got a G-tube on Monday for swallowing/aspirating issues, so I understand your frustration and worry.  I know it will be very hard to have him "out" for so long, but if it helps, it will be worth it.  We are always here with an ear when you need to get it out!  Praying that all goes well for your little guy!

Thank you!  I appreciate it!  Just trying to process everything.  I really dont like either scenario- but they both have their pros and cons.  If we could get his swallowing issues worked out it would be one less thing he has to deal with.  But, I am also very aware that some of his other dx can cause dysphasia as well.  I guess we will just wait and see.  Thanks for the support!   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"