Hawaii Babies

so irritated!

can anyone recommend a good ob-gyn???!!! 

i live in honolulu, but i'm willing to drive if i have to.i have my own doctor right now but i just don't really feel comfortable with her. my first appointment she tried to convince me that i HAD to get a flu shot or i could die,after i was very clear that i wanted to do everything naturally, and not have any shots or medicine,  then she said the reason i was showing so much was "not from the baby" and i should "just eat healthier." i was so offended! my husband and i only eat organic, and i am by no means over weight. she also liked to use big medical terms, and then ask me, "if i knew what that meant." with a very, "im better than you" attitude. this is my first pregnancy, and i'd really like to have someone that i felt completely comfortable with, and who actually genuinely cares about me. thanks so much for any advice!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 1 Corinthians 13:13 Three things will last forever --faith, hope, and love-- but the greatest of these is LOVE.

Re: so irritated!

• yikes! sorry you had to put up with that.  I'm not local - hopefully somone who is will chime in - but I know a while back there was some talk of one of the Oahu hospitals offering midwifery services with the possibility of in hospital water births.  I would certainly look into another care option - you don't want to get nervous and stressed at every appt.

My first midwife dumped me at 15weeks so I know how stressful it can be, but looking back I'm so thankful I didn't have to deal with our personality clashes (hindsight is 20/20).  I did give birth at a hospital with no interventions (not even an IV or heplock) and being able to walk around, labor (and birth) in any position I wanted and sitting in the tub was bliss - probably how I got through the pain.  I wasn't allowed to actually birth in the tub but I'm not sure I would have wanted to.  My midwifery practice was wonderful but I'm thinking I would still like to explore other options for any future birth because I still wasn't comfortable with the entire experience.

eta - regardless of your feeling on a certain intervention or procedure (ex. flu shot) I don't think any patient deserves to be talked down to or bullied in a way that is not helpful or informative.

• imageMauiWedding08:

eta - regardless of your feeling on a certain intervention or procedure (ex. flu shot) I don't think any patient deserves to be talked down to or bullied in a way that is not helpful or informative.

This! I can't believe she did that to you! That's very unprofessional of her. I'm also not local but I hope you'll be able to find a good OB or midwife. GL!
    Sept 2008 Wedding | May 2010 & Mar 2012 Babies
  • Loading the player...
  • When I lived there I saw Dr Angela Pratt. Her office is at Kapiolani and she delivers there. She's the only one in her practice which I really liked, so you'd see her your whole pregnancy and then she would deliver the baby. I really liked her personality and the way she treated the nurses... which is a big deal to me since I was a nurse working with MANY of her patients!
  • No advice but I just wanted to say Good for you for finding another doctor, and eating healthy, and not second guessing your weight!!! Awesome!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"