Special Needs

Swallow study

I haven't had a chance to look for info online or anything, but what all is involved in a swallow study and how long does it take?
imageimage

Re: Swallow study

• Ours took about 25 minutes.  They'll sit your kid up (our guy was 6 weeks) and they put a screen next to their head and i had to feed mine because he was so little and they watch him swallow.  He had to eat 2 oz straight of thin barium, no burping.  I don't know how old your LO is.  If he was aspirating or choking they would have increased to nectar thicknes, then honey, etc.  Our swallow study showed DS is doing great and he didn't need it any thicker, so it took them about 15 minutes to set up and the whole test took maybe 8 minutes.

• DD just had one done last Thrusday that she completely failed.  It is VERY fast.  They had LA sit in a carseat-like chair in front of an xray device.  The assistant made about 2 teaspoon full of barium in different thicknesses and purees laced with barium.  We began with the thin liquids and progressed on.  It took 15 minutes MAX. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with PP.  Ours usually lasts about 30-45 minutes.  I always have to bring the cups Aiden is drinking out of of learning to drink out of.  At first I had to bring bottles with different nipple flows.  Now I bring his straw cups. It usually takes us a while bc we have him drink different consistencies from different nipples/cups to find the "best" and safest way for him to drink (combo of different consistencies of thickened liquids with the different cups.)  GL! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"