Blended Families

Splitting medical bills.

For all medical, dental and vision court order is 50% each parent.  My husband takes the kids to all their appointments.  We haven't told bmom about us paying extras...we just have been paying it because she is having major financial problems and the kids are the ones who pay the consequences in the end when she doesn't cover their needs.  My question is, in the court order it does not give a timeframe of when bills must be submitted to the other parent or when it must be paid.  How long do you think we would have to tell her about them and request payment of 50%?  We don't plan to do this at all, but if she does something crazy, we'd consider it. 

Re: Splitting medical bills.

• I think DH's says that any request for reimbursement of medical expenses must be submitted with the proper documentation/receipts within 30 days.  We have never worried about this either. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Typically they have to be submitted in a "reasonable" amount of time, usually 30 days like the pp said.

I'm pretty sure if you hold all the bills and then try and submit them to her all at once saying, "pay up" a court will tell you you should have submitted them to her as they came up and you're SOL.

• Loading the player...
  • I don't know what the time frame is b/c the parent that takes the kids usually calls the other when they leave the appointment for an update and at that point the cost of the visit. Reciepts are provide at the following pick up/drop off.

I agree with PP that you don't want to hold them all and spring them on BM. I would give her copies as it happens but add the disclaimer that you understand her financial stress so she can take some time to pay you back. If you never need to collect you don't. If you do you have the date you provided the bills to her.

• I'd give them as you get them but let her know you dont expect it all at once RIGHT NOW.

Giving her a bunch later on could be overwhelming to her.

• I would read back a little further in your CO and see if BM has to approve the visitis.  If she has to pay 50% then you probably needed her prior consent.

If not then you should photocopy the bills and give them to her after each visit.  Unless the visits are regular then I would wait 30 days max.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagePhantomgirl:

I would read back a little further in your CO and see if BM has to approve the visitis.  If she has to pay 50% then you probably needed her prior consent.

If not then you should photocopy the bills and give them to her after each visit.  Unless the visits are regular then I would wait 30 days max.

we had prior consent for everything.  Nothing in writing though.  Hmm.  I wonder if I should just be nice and let them all slide, and if she does some crazy thing, then just start getting the 50% on future things. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"