Military Families
Options

Deployment book for toddlers

Any good ones for a 2.5 year old?

Re: Deployment book for toddlers

• Options

I use to work at the Child Development Center and we would read: Daddy, You're my hero.  There was also: Mommy, you're my hero.

https://www.amazon.com/Daddy-Youre-Hero-Books-Brats/dp/0972926410

I'm not sure how detailed you want to get, but it talks about being good while they're gone.  Doing special chores to help out, writing letters and making pictures, and planning a special party for when their parent gets to come home.

It's pretty cute. When I found it on amazon there were other books, but this is the only one I've actually read.

Good luck! 

• Options

"I Miss You: a military kid's book about deployment" by Beth Andrews LCSW

"You and Your Military Hero" by Sara Jensen-Fritz, Paula Jones-Johnson, and Thea Zitzow. (This one is for a slightly older child, but could still be used and has activities in it.) 

Long time Waiting BFP 5/8/10 It's a Boy! 1/7/2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Graphics
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Night Catch is a great book for this.  https://www.amazon.com/Night-Catch-Brenda-Ehrmantraut/dp/0972983392/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1287610548&sr=1-1 

On the Amazon page, they suggest other books too. A Paper Hug is a great book as well.   

• Options
    I really like the one we have called "Over There."  I think there is a daddy version and a mommy version of it.  They were giving them away for free when DH deployed.  It's such a simple level that even my 1.5 year olds can understand a lot of it.  They ask to read the "daddy book" almost every night before bed. 
  • Options
    We have one called "We Serve Too."  My kids really enjoy it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

These are not "deployment books" BUT they are all kinds of books that are recordable.  Your DH (and you or anyone) can record yourself reading the book and it plays back to the child page by page.  These things are awesome and your child gets to hear daddy's voice for story time.  I saw it on a TV show and it brought tears to my eyes so I had to have one...or three.  I told DH about them and we went to the Hallmark store to check them out.  He loved them too. 

https://www.hallmark.com/online/in-stores/recordable-storybooks/

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimage
  • Options
    imageBorn2Fly:

These are not "deployment books" BUT they are all kinds of books that are recordable.  Your DH (and you or anyone) can record yourself reading the book and it plays back to the child page by page.  These things are awesome and your child gets to hear daddy's voice for story time.  I saw it on a TV show and it brought tears to my eyes so I had to have one...or three.  I told DH about them and we went to the Hallmark store to check them out.  He loved them too. 

If you have a USO near you, they also have a program like this called United Through Reading, where they videotape the Service Member reading the book and then give you the book so your child can read along with them throughout the deployment. 

• Options
    imageSaraK1:
    imageBorn2Fly:

If you have a USO near you, they also have a program like this called United Through Reading, where they videotape the Service Member reading the book and then give you the book so your child can read along with them throughout the deployment. 

Just be careful with the video idea.  If your toddler isn't watching TV yet, or doesn't fully grasp the concept then this may back fire.  A friend of mine video taped herself reading to her son and it freaked him out hysterically.  Remember, he hadn't seen her so after not seeing mommy for a while, when he saw her inside a "box" it did not go over well at all.  Just something to consider especially if your kid isn't watching much TV. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimage
  • Options
    I know the USO has some stuff online, I think there is a DVD they can send you too.
  • Options

imageleslie13510:
    I really like the one we have called "Over There."  I think there is a daddy version and a mommy version of it.  They were giving them away for free when DH deployed.  It's such a simple level that even my 1.5 year olds can understand a lot of it.  They ask to read the "daddy book" almost every night before bed. 

And I'm Here For You Now

ISBN 0-943657-99-7

It has a picture spot for each page.

The number at the bottom for more Zero -Three books is 1-800-899-4301

or website  www.zerotothree.org

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"