Boston Babies

Newton Wellesley OBGYN in Walpole?

hi ladies,

Do any of you see any of the doctors at nw obgyn in walpole? I booked my first and second prenatal appointments there with dr. dolinger - i go to the first one in a couple weeks. when i was scheduling my appointment and asking the differences between this office and the one in newton, they told me there's no ultrasound machine in walpole - so at what point will the doctors there do an ultrasound?  i take it they don't do it at the first or second appt since both of mine are scheduled in walpole...?...i was hoping to be able to hear the heartbeat and see something by my second appointment, and wondering if the 2 different locations do things differently just based on what equipment they have.

does anyone have any experience with this practice? i'd love some info on what to expect!

thanks!

Re: Newton Wellesley OBGYN in Walpole?

• i don't see them but typically you don't get an ultrasound your first appt unless you need it for some reason (ie: a dating ultrasound, if you're unsure of the date you conceived) or if you have a past history of m/c they'll do one. At your 20 week I think they'd either send you to their Newton office or to the hospital.  You can opt to do the nuchal screening at 11-12 weeks, which would be done at NWH b/c it requires more sensitive ultrasound plus bloodwork.  I had a ton of ultrasounds my first trimester b/c of a miscarriage and then i had subchorionic hematomas, but I haven't had any after my 20 week ultrasound. Hope that info helps!
  • I LOVE Dr. Dolinger!  She delivered my first baby and I hope that she gets to be there when my 2nd is born.  She is AWESOME!  She is only in Walpole on Fridays though.  If everything is normal with your pregnancy and you opt to do the 1st Trimester screening, you will go to the Newton office for your 12 week ultrasound, your 20 week ultrasound, and possibly a 38 week ultrasound.  Other than that, if everything is fine, then you will just go to Walpole for your monthly visits.

I don't think you will get to hear a heart beat until your 12 week appointment.  You won't even be seen (if everything is normal) until 8 weeks and then your next appointment will be at 12 weeks.

Even though the Newton office has an ultrasound machine, always try to get your appointments in Walpole.  The Newton office is connected to the hospital, so if there is an emergency, the Doctor's will rush over to the hospital (obviously), which means you could be sitting for hours (or have to reschedule) your appointment- which happens quite frequently and is annoying.

• Loading the player...
  • thanks to you both! i've heard so many different versions of what to expect, since all practices are so different, that it's hard to know what to think!  what you say makes sense to me though.

mrsfoof, i'm glad for your good review about dr. dolinger. i basically took the doctor that was available on a day that i could go (a friday!), but i didn't know anything about her. i sooo prefer walpole than driving into newton and hassling with parking, etc., and good to know about the doctors sometimes having to rush out in newton. as long as walpole has what i need, i'll definitely continue to make my appointments there and hopefully everything will go well so that going to newton will be just those few times!

• I delivered one of my babies using this office and I LOVED THEM!!! I saw Dr. Konig through my whole pregnancy because my  baby's birth was going to be a scheduled c-section.  Dr. Konig is in Walpole Tuesdays and Wednesdays.  I saw Dr. Dolinger (?sp) one visit and I did like her. 

I also prefer Walpole because of parking, less of a wait, convenience etc.  As far as ultrasounds you will be sent to Newton.  Once you hit 12w or so you will be able to hear the babies heartbeat at every appt with a hand held doppler.  I *think* they have monitors there too so if you need a non stress test you can have it done right in the office.  I'm almost positive I heard it a few times when I was there. 

If you're planning on or hoping for a vaginal birth I would schedule your appointments so that you get to know a few of the doctors.  That way when it comes time for your delivery you know more of them.  Since it is a fairly large practice its better to meet more of them so you feel more comfortable.  

If you have any questions about NW OB or NWH please let me know!

• I am going to About Women by Women in Wellesley, and already had an US at 6w6d then have another scheduled for 12w, just as an FYI.  I'm 30 yo and this is my first pregnancy, and have no risks but they did US already anyway.  We heard baby's HB at 6w and it was amazing =)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"