North Carolina Babies

Is Santa real?? and a poll

This morning at breakfast, C was telling me all the toys he wants to have (in general) and things he wants to get his friends.  When he mentioned b-o (video) games for his friends, I laughed and told him that his friends would be getting gifts at Christmas most likely.

He then says to me "From Santa??  Is Santa real or pretend?"

What??!!  He's only 3!!  Should he already be questioning Santa? :(

So here is my question:

When your kids start to question Santa, what are you going to do?  Do you even plan on 'letting' them believe in Santa, or will you tell them from the beginning that there is no Santa?

Re: Is Santa real?? and a poll

• When C asked me if Santa was real or pretend--I answered him with a question:

What do you think?

My H overheard and started telling C that of course Santa is real--didn't we see him at the mall last year?

• Only 3! How sad!

DH and I always said that when the kids flat out ask if he is real or not, we would tell them the truth. But three is SO little! 

Thankfully Chloe's questions about Santa over the past few years have not been direct "is he real or not" questions. She has said things like "well, I was thinking how he can be real if he can go down chimneys, etc.". My response was, "well, what do you think about that?" She then explained how she thought that he could do it and I would say "well maybe so!" and leave it at that. It worked well. And this year she asked my DH flat out and he told her the truth. She is 7 though. I was still hoping for a few more years, but now she can be apart of Santa for her two sisters. 

As a side note: I never believed in Santa as a child. My parents didn't want to lie to me and then have me question of God was real. I don't feel deprived at all and always had a really fun Christmas. I still got gifts from Santa but I knew from the start they were from my parents. I totally get not wanting to lie to your kids--even if it's all in fun. I got an Elf on the Shelf last year and Chloe was OBSESSED with it. She asked all of these stupid questions about the darn thing and it pained me to lie to her, even if it was all in make believe fun. Will Keira and baby girl believe in Santa? Probably so. :) 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers /">< imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • My mom always said "If you don't believe, you don't receive!"

So she never exactly told us that he didn't exist, but we knew that if we ever said that he didn't. That we wouldn't get anymore present from him.

So until I got married. I always got a pile of stuff "santa" left on the couch every christmas morning. Even though I knew for Years it was my parents.

• I don't plan on ever "breaking it to" my kids that he's not real. I'll let them figure it out on their own, like I did (I think around 8 ish). If they ask, I'll say something like "he's as real as you believe he is." I don't think that keeping up the myth for tradition's sake is lying to your kids...it's all in good fun.

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• imageCaroline422:

"If you don't believe, you don't receive!"

Amen! That is my story & I'm sticking to it :) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"