Houston Babies

Experiences delivering at Memorial Hermann in the Med Center or the Methodist hospital in Sugar Land

Hi ladies!

I am newly pregnant (7 weeks!) and am doing a little preliminary research on where I want to deliver.  My obgyn, Dr. Ohlemacher of Complete Women's Care Center in Pearland (they have an office in the medical center too), delivers at Memorial Hermann in the med center. If you delivered there, did you have a good experience overall? Are the rooms nice and comfortable? Several of my friends HIGHLY recommend the Methodist hospital in Sugar Land, which would be closer to our home and more convenient for all of our family coming in from out of town. However, I obviously want to chose the better hospital, but just wanted some feedback about the rooms and care, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Experiences delivering at Memorial Hermann in the Med Center or the Methodist hospital in Sugar Land

• i delivered at memorial hermann in the med center with both girls and had an overall good experience.  i do feel as though my nurses the 2nd time around were more attentive to me, so that was an improvement.

rooms are a decent size, and i was in a private room both times...  

food is good, and they have changed it now to where you can order your food when you are ready for it, kind of like room service. 

if she doesn't chime in, page kvinh546 - she has delivered at both hospitals you mentioned.

• Thanks, Alisa......I appreciate your feedback.  And by the way, you girls are adorable!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Aren't you in Pearland? If so, I think Med Center is closer and easier to get to. I delivered at Methodist in Med Center and loved it so I would think the Sugarland location is just as great. I know a friend chose not to deliver there because they only have a level 1 NICU or something so if something had happened to her baby she didn't want the baby moved to a different hospital than where she was. Another friend delivered at Mem Hermann Med Center and had a great experience.
  • I had my DS at MHMC (exactly 1 year ago yesterday!). My L&D room was enormous. The postpartum room was decent. Comfortable? Well, you're in a hospital bed no matter which hospital you choose and IMO no hospital bed is comfortable.

The only negative I can think of is that parking is expensive and the hospital itself is a maze to get to L&D if you're not familiar with it (my dad got lost and wandered a bit, but then again he wasn't following my directions, so it's his own fault)

I was happy with the care and with the hospital policies.

- Jena
  • imagejen5/03:

I had my DS at MHMC (exactly 1 year ago yesterday!). My L&D room was enormous. The postpartum room was decent. Comfortable? Well, you're in a hospital bed no matter which hospital you choose and IMO no hospital bed is comfortable.

The only negative I can think of is that parking is expensive and the hospital itself is a maze to get to L&D if you're not familiar with it (my dad got lost and wandered a bit, but then again he wasn't following my directions, so it's his own fault)

I was happy with the care and with the hospital policies.

One thing I like about Methodist (over Memorial Hermann based on the review above) is an all-in-one room experience.  You deliver and recover in the same room, and your baby automatically rooms in with you unless you ask him/her to be taken to the nursery so you can rest.  It is easier on family to be able to come in and set up a homey atmosphere when it's all in one room.  All the rooms are also private.

One of our bumpie/nestie photographers did a video of her birth story (nothing graphic) on her website.  You get a feel for what the experience is like at Methodist, but again this was in the med center and I do think she had a suite.  I had a room that was smaller, but never a "tight" feel.  Even with over 15 clinical practitioners in there and 4 family members when I had my 10 lb 5.4 oz baby vaginally.  Here is her video, which will probably make you cry it's so sweet:

https://www.kdloftisphotography.com/category/birth-photography

"If you can't say something nice, shut the hell up!"
    - Paula Deen to 104.1 KRBE's Producer Eric 9/17/2011
  • Congrats!! :) I delivered at MH med center and had a great experience! I had a C-section and was holding my baby in the recovery room within 30 minutes. The only negative part was I had an awful post-partum nurse the first night. But after that all the nurses were great and so helpful.

I see Dr H-S at the med center location but I've heard great things about Dr Ohlemacher (and I've met her a couple times since our kids go to the same school). I would feel very confident about any of those doctors delivering my baby.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"