Military Families

Fort Benning, GA??

My husband just received his orders and it looks like we'll be stationed at fort Benning, GA. I was just wondering if anyone else on here is located there and if they could enlighten me on how it is.. lol I've heard great things, and I've also heard some of the housing is horrible, just wondering, I hate to go into a situation blind.. :) thank you!!

Re: Fort Benning, GA??

• Hey there. My husband and I used to be stationed at Ft. Benning and it really isn't bad at all. The post has a great gym and the commissary and PX are decent. Most of the neighborhoods are good and there's been a lot of new housing built over the last couple years. There is a new walking trail and 2 huge dog parks. The city of Columbus has a lot to do. Lots of shopping and restaurants. Atlanta is only an hour and a half away and we've also drove to Florida quite a few times since it's close also. 
    TTC since 2007. Dx PCOS 6/2010
    4 unsuccessful rounds of Clomid
    Clomid 50mg - BFP #1 - February 7, 2010 Missed miscarriage March 25, 2010
    Clomid 100 mg - BFP #2 - October 28, 2010 Chemical pregnancy November 4, 2010
    IUI #1 - Gonal-F + Ovidrel = BFN
    IUI #2 - Femera + Gonal-F + Ovidrel + Endometrin = BFN
    IUI #3 - Gonal-F + Ovidrel + Endometrin = BFN
    IUI #4 - Gonal-F + Ovidrel + Endometrin = BFN
    IUI #5 - Menopur + Gonal-F + Ovidrel + Endometrin = BFN
    IVF #1 - Microdose Lupron Flare protocol = BFN
    FET = BFN - lost all remaining embryos
    IVF 2.0 - In progress. 20 retrieved. 16 mature. 10 fertilized with ICSI. 3, grade I embryos transferred, 7 made to freeze. Currently in the 2ww.
  • Just left and couldn't be happier! It's not the worst place but it isn't the best either. New housing is up everywhere but they're cheaply built. Some areas have bad bug problems. The hospital I didn't have to give birth thank God but my girlfriend did and she hated it. The baby was breech and didn't do anything about it so she had to have an emergency c-section. Get a referral as soon as you see a doctor so you don't have to go through that. If you can, live off post. We lived in Hamilton Station in the new section and it was great! You're right near everything, shopping, grocery, entertainment and restaurants. Good luck! And stay away from exits 1 through 5 off 185. Ghetto... Other than that it's not so bad... The gym on post is great though! I never shopped at the commissary though, I don't like having to push my way through people with their thumbs up their butts. :) Have fun in the summer! Make sure you have plenty of sunscreen and a pool! Very hot and humid.

Sorry if I'm a downer but I don't sugar coat. There are some positives like, the art museum is free and they have a nice collection and new things come in every other month or so. BBQ is yummy, and I recommend you and the hub go to dinner at Buckhead Bar & Grill, it was our favorite place.

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • thank you.. (: I love the fact it's so close to FL because some of his family lives there and we don't get to visit often..
  • i don't think of it as being a downer, I like to REALLY hear the truth.. lol If i'm going to be living there I want to know everything.. (: May I ask though, why did you suggest to live off-post?? :)
  • Ask me any questions you need!

I say live off post because, A: depending on your hub's rank you'll actually pocket more money then you would living on post, and B: more options and the on post housing is nice to look at but craptastic to live in.

• Hi there! I'm from the Fort Benning area (Columbus, GA is my hometown) and my husband is stationed here as well. Are you planning to live on or off post?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • P.S. There is a LOT more to the area than the ghetto parts PPs mentioned (the south side of town). I guess that's the first impression people get because those parts happen to be the closest to post...as it is at many Army bases. But you can go your whole time here and never venture into those areas and not miss a thing. Don't worry! Hope you like it here!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMrsFinn810:

P.S. There is a LOT more to the area than the ghetto parts PPs mentioned (the south side of town). I guess that's the first impression people get because those parts happen to be the closest to post...as it is at many Army bases. But you can go your whole time here and never venture into those areas and not miss a thing. Don't worry! Hope you like it here!

I'd like to live off post but I have no idea yet.. We don't have to report there until December 17th.. (:

• i am moving to fort benning when my hubby re-ploys from iraq! he wants us to live off post as well and now it make sense after reading some of the posts lol
  • i'll be in benning in august
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"