School-Aged Children
Options

who works m-f full time?

and how do you handle after school activities and homework?   I'm looking at switching jobs to a M-F 8-4 type job.  seems like a lot of the after school stuff starts at 4 or 4:30.  hoping dh's schedule will allow this to work.  

Re: who works m-f full time?

• Options
    I work 4 10's and sometimes we go, if schedules permit. Sometimes we don't go. Sometimes we have friends who help out. Like soccer- the neighbor takes her son and my son and my husband p/u on the way home from work. My mom watches the kids after school so sometimes she takes them to their activities. We have networked really well in my oldest son's class and he goes to things with friends who's parents pick him up. I have a Google calendar and it is packed. I put it all on the calendar as soon as we get it and try to plan way in advance. Like I said sometimes it doesn't work and it is ok. This week we missed book fair at Liam school because I was just to tired.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I do, but I WAH on Friday.  Unfortunately, I have to get DD to PS and she can't go earlier than 8:15, so my day starts around 9'ish.  But, I can leave early to handle after school activities (DH used to be able to help with these until he took a new job with less flexibility and 30 mins longer commute).  Since it's just me doing before and after school, though, I've decided to not enroll them in after school activities for awhile unless they're on the weekend.  DS is in FT KG and was too tired anyway.  DD doesn't nap and is too tired, plus she has dance and gymnastics at her school 2 days a week.  So, now we just have ice skating on Sat am, which is working nicely.
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I work FT Mon-Fri 9-5, DH gets out earlier and picks DS up from the after school sitter at about 4:30pm.  So far we don't have him in after school activities. I get home at 6pm and go through his back pack and we talk about the stuff in there during dinner and then if there is any homework he does it after dinner.
    Cheryl, Evan 4.25.05, Paige 7.2.07
  • Options
    I work M-F, 9-5. DH works M-F, 8-6. I get home at 5:30, DH 7:30. My son doesn't do after school activities - there's no way. I don't know any other parents of kids in his class. There are no other 1st graders on his bus that live in the immediate neighborhood. He was signed up for soccer on Sat mornings but hated it. There are very few options for families with 2 full time working parents. It sucks.
  • Options

I work M-F FT. DH works M-F FT and then also works M,W,F,Sat nights (and takes Thurs night as a night off for himself to do whatever). After school activities suck. DD has yet to be involved in a sport because we have yet to find one that practices after 5:30pm. Even religious education was a challenge--our church only offers 1 Saturday class (which filled up before we could get into it) and the others are all weekday after school... the LATEST one beginning at 5:30. We had to sign up for that one, and Tuesdays are HELL because of it!

DD is doing a music class on Saturdays, and an art class which is offered on-site at school afterschool, so I'm glad we've found SOME opportunities for her that work with our schedule.

As for homework--DD is in 1st grade and gets a packet on Monday to be returned on Friday. Usually when I pick her up from after school on Monday afternoon her homework is already done (and I just check it over)...

Hope that helps!

Mom to J (10), L (4), and baby #3 arriving in July of 2015
  • Options
    I work M-F 7am-3pm. DH works M-F 8-5. DH gets DS off to school in the mornings since I leave for work at 6:20am then I get him off the bus at 3:50 so it works out perfectly. Most activites dont start until 5-5:30. We normally do homework when we get home from activites so we have time to relax and unwind after school/work. He concentrates better if he isnt looking forward to whatever is going on that evening.
  • Options
    Thank you for posting this question. It has been helpful for me to read this too. I am going to be heading back into the work force soon (hopefully) after being a SAHM. So all help with how things run or can run as smooth as possible is welcomed :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    thanks to you all!  
  • Options
    I work 8:30-4:30. I've learned to get parent's numbers and ask for help when needed and we all help each other out. You are only human so you can only do what you can.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"