VBAC
Options

Ah good. Convince me, ladies.

I found a doc who will allow me to VBAC this time.  I've done a ton of research and medically, I know this is the right plan.

Here's where I need convincing: with Kate, I was in labor for 55 hours and pushed for 4 hours before they determined that she was not going down the birth canal and that a c-section was the best plan.  The c-section was easy, the recovery was easy and the only sucky part was the labor (and the pushing!).

I cannot deal with this again. Part of me thinks that scheduling a c-section would be better/easier.  I cannot bear the thought of going through all of that again just to have another surgery in the end. 

I'm also worried because my ob has mentioned that once I go to the hospital, they will hook me up to monitors and I will be stuck in bed. I think this was part of the problem last time; over the two day labor, the BP monitor went off every 10 minutes and I couldn't move from my back because then the fetal monitor came off. I didn't sleep a wink, so I was exhausted by the time it was time to push.  Furthermore, I couldn't labor or push in a comfortable position (walking around, squatting, even on my side!)

Any ideas? Please convince me that this is the right play!

"Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut

Re: Ah good. Convince me, ladies.

• Options

I can't tell you what the right path is for you.  However, I will tell you that even though I didn't get my VBAC, I still wouldn't have planned it any other way - for a few reasons... the biggest being that I wanted to care for my older daughter the way she was used to being cared for (picked up, swung around, playing on the floor, etc.). 

Do you have a doula?  How comfortable are you laboring at home?   Would you be comfortable having a monitrice while you labor at home?  Since your OB would require you to be hooked up once you get to the hospital, your best bet would probably be laboring at home as long as possible.

Ultimately, I don't know that one decision is intrinsically any better than the other. I think you really have to weigh your desires against your fears to come to a good decision for you.

• Options

Like tlcS said, we can't tell you what is right for you.  There is never a guarantee that a birth will go the way you hope, and the possibility of having another unplanned c/s is something that everyone who considers VBAC has to weigh in their choice.  Personally, I know I would regret not trying for a VBAC, even if I have to have another cesarean, but you may not feel the same way.

I think the tip of having a doula is a great suggestion, as well as staying home a while in labor if you are comfortable with that.

Have you asked your OB about whether the hospital has telemetry (wireless) monitors?  I used those during my induction and I was able to walk the halls and even labor in the shower while still being monitored the whole time.  Many doctors don't even remember to tell clients about this option, so you may need to ask.

The value of continuous monitoring is debatable.  In low-risk labors, it often does not improve outcomes over intermittent monitoring, but has been shown to increase cesarean rates.  In high risk labors, it may help prevent adverse outcomes.  Whether it is helpful for VBAC labors over intermittent monitoring is up for discussion.  Some people having VBAC labors decide to refuse continuous monitoring and only consent to intermittent monitoring, which still allows them to move around.  I can't tell you what to do but that is something to think about.

GL! 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I totaly agree with the PP. They say that every labor is different so this one might be a brand new experiance for you. You just have to make a decision on what the doctors tell you and what you feel is best. Good luck though! I still don't know if  I will get my VBAC or not, and might not till the very end. 
  • Options

I guess my first idea would be to find a doctor that supports you moving around during labor - for me, finding a provider who would not only allow me to try to VBAC, but also support me in the way I wanted to handle my pregnancy and birth was very important to me.  I actually just had my first app't with my new doctor - you still have time to change!  Especially with your history, I'd think being allowed to try different positions, especially in pushing, would be something I'd really fight to get.  Ditto pp's suggestion of finding a doula, as well. They can help support you.  

That said, I can't say that what is best for you is a VBAC.  I think you're aware of the medical issues - the one thing I would think about is if you're planning on having more kids and the risks there.  However, if what you're most comfortable with is the repeat c/s - then that is right for you. 

Best of luck with your decision!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Thanks ya'll. I know medically (my sister is an OB-GYN and I have a medical background) that a VBAC is the better, safer, more natural option.  I think I'll regret it if I don't try. I'm just so scared of a failed VBAC :(

I'm going to ask my doctor about the monitoring at the next appointment.   That will be a pretty important piece of my decision. I'm willing to labor at home for as long as I can. The hospital is about 30-60 minutes away.  I am concerned about the medical risks of not being in the hospital when the baby comes (Staying home too long!) but I know that's unlikely.  I'm not sure about a doula yet...I know my area has a ton but I haven't looked much into it. 

I just have a lot to think about.

"Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Options
    And if they don't have telemetry, at least ask about being out of the bed but close by so that you still have options for different positions and movements like being on the birth ball. Being confined to be could certainly have been a factor in your last outcome, and being mobile could help prevent it from happening again and keep you more comfortable. Having a doula would be very helpful in suggesting ways to move and position yourself either in or out of the bed. If you decide to hire one, be sure to bring up your concerns to anyone you interview and ask how they would help you with those specifically. Good luck in whatever you decide!
  • Options

My labor with DD was almost exactly the same as yours.  I was two weeks late and after 60 hours of induction and 3 hours of pushing, she wasn't coming.  I had the same experience with the monitor slipping and not being able to move.  Ended with a c-section

I was talking to a mid-wife in training this weekend and she was saying that even though it wasn't fun, there are a couple of good things about the process we went through.  By dilating, having contractons and doing some pushing, our bodies may have an easier time of it the next time.  Also, the contractions and everything gave the baby the signals necessary to know that birth was imminent.  Preparing the lungs and everything. 

So, even though it may end in another c-section, I will try for a vbac.

• Options
    imageerbear:

I think I'll regret it if I don't try. I'm just so scared of a failed VBAC :(

I hear you there - it's been tough at times coming to terms with the possibility that I'll have so much invested and not end up VBACing.  It's really helped me to just focus on what I can control, which for me has been my provider line up, doula, and just making sure I'm able to be a part of the decisions that are made, including how I can labor, interventions, etc.  It's still something I struggle with on occasion, though!

• Options

Only you can decide what the best is for you.  I had a VBAC with my second son, and I was very happy with it.

First, I would find a provider that is on board with you moving around durning labor.  Being stuck on your back in bed is not conducive to a good labor.  Ask about portable monitors.  My hospital has them, they are wireless and you can move around, walk the hall, ect with them on.

• Options
    Just remember that your second labor is most likely going to be very different.  I also had a 48 hours labor and 3 hours of pushing before they told me I needed a c/s- DS was also posterior.  My whole pregnancy with DD I was so nervous that it would be the same way- I didn't think I could handle having to be induced again or a failed VBAC attempt.  I ended up going into labor on my own the day of my scheduled induction and was only in the hospital for 2 hours before I started pushing... DD was also posterior but I got her out in a little over 2 hours with the help and encouragement of my MW and DH.  Labor start to finish with DD was 7 hours.
  • Options

I think you should get a 2nd opinion. My OB told me the same thing at my 1st appointment. We can try for a VBAC but you will be hooked up to monitors and wont be able to move around I cant get in the tub cant use a birthing ball nothing

Well for my last pregnancy I arrived at the hospital at 8cm i labored at home the entire time but once i was in bed and hooked up i stalled at 9cm given pitocin and baby went in distress and then emergency c section. So I am going to see a midwife to see what she says because I heard there is wireless monitoring where you can still move around but still monitor the baby. I dont see why I cant move that just makes the chances of having a c/s higher to me.

My appointment is on Monday so hopefully the midwife will tell me what I hope to hear. Which I am hoping to hear about wireless monitoing I believe for VBACs they dont offer intermittent as anything can go wrong anytime so they want constant monitoring which is fine but I need to move. Also a midwife will be more patient will not be quick to "speed things up" will be able to help me do different positions to keep things progressing. I feel as though if I settle for what my OB said I havent tried my best to have a sucessful VBAC and I will always wonder WHAT IF if I end up sticking with my OB

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"