D.C. Area Babies

Dr. Note required for Flu Shot?

My employer offers the flu shot for free.  I just got my notice for scheduling, and it has a disclaimer at the bottom stating that if I are pregnant, a note from my physician is required prior to vaccination.  Is this common?  I thought that it was highly encouraged for pregnant women to be vaccinated.  I'm just wondering if I should be concerned about this.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Dr. Note required for Flu Shot?

• I had no problems getting one from my employer last year when I was around 28 weeks pregnant (without a note.) I have never heard of this.

I wouldn't be concerned if I were you. I got both the regular flu and the H1N1 vaccine last year and am glad that I did. I had a healthy pregnancy and healthy baby!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have heard from a couple of friends that they needed a doctor's note, so I asked Dr. L. for one at my last appointment. I do still need to find out if my work has the preservative-free flu shot, but if so, I'm getting it there. Dr. L was appalled that I would need a note since pregnant women are at the top of the priority list, but didn't mind writing it, of course.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Our flu shot consent paperwork has an additional line stating that if you're pregnant you are signing that you and your doctor agree that this is appropriate for you.  I did not need a note from my doctor.  In fact, flu shots are recommended for pregnant woman.  
  • It probably depends on who is giving it and how much you are showing as to whether or not you can get away without a note.  MedStar came to my work recently for a 1-day clinic, and I didn't know a note was required until I showed up for my appt and started to read the form they make you fill out. (Thank you HR!) Stick out tongue

I was 7 mos pg with no way to hide the belly, and they wouldn't let me get it.  I wound up getting it the following week at CWC at my next OB appt, and paying $25.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • When they did it at our office, they wouldn't give it to pregnant woman at all (even with a note) - I still need to get it, although I got H1N1 last year so I think if I miss it, I will be OK.

• In 2007, my work required a note and I was told that I would need to sign a consent form because 3 years ago the flu shot was NOT recommended for pregnant woman, according the the data sheets of the company who manufactured the vaccine. I believe it still is the same, the data sheets don't recommend it, but doctors do. I believe the nurses go by the data sheet.

This is from the current flu shot

"8. USE IN SPECIFIC POPULATIONS
    8.1. Pregnancy
    Pregnancy Category C: Animal reproduction studies have not been conducted with Fluzone. It is also not known whether Fluzone can cause fetal harm
    when administered to a pregnant woman or can affect reproduction capacity.
    Fluzone should be given to a pregnant woman only if clearly needed."

This is on all flu vaccines, so there has been no clinical trials, just population use. So it is up to you if you want it or not, but this is the reason why some nurses at certain places won't give it to pregnant women and why I was told I needed a note in 2007.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"