Military Families

My husband got his orders.

I was almost certain we were going to stay in Jacksonville but I guessed wrong. He got orders to New Orleans. I have family an hour close so I've been there before but it's not somewhere I am thrilled about moving to. Anyone stationed there? Or been there? Or know how the base housing is?

Re: My husband got his orders.

• That's good you'll be close to family.
  • We find out in the next 2 weeks if we have to leave our home of 14 years in San Diego to go to stenis Mississippi :( I looked online and couldn't find any military housing for it. I did find one closer to the other base just google military housing and your base name and see what comes up. I've heard from some of the wives that all the housing was wiped out when Katrina hit and all they have is mobile homes! I'm guess by now they've rebuilt some at least right? There is also another site that is really great for military wives at www.msos.com and I'm sure the ladies there will know for sure
  • Loading the player...
  • Hey! Yeah we just moved here from NY in August. We live on NASJRB in Belle Chasse, hubby is at 4th MAW. No complaints thus far though. It's bigger than the base we came from but smaller than most I'm sure. The house itself is a lot smaller than the one we came from b/c it was a smaller housing dev. and only had 3 and 4 BR duplexes and I think the smallest unit there was like 1600sq ft, the one we're in now is 1467 or something like that. I think it's just more of a culture shock for me moving from the northeast for the first time in my life!!!!  We were not thrilled about moving here either (we were suppost to go to Ft. Worth).  I don't know how much help I can be since we've only been here a couple months but let me know :) When are you moving?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageswrlygrl:
    I've heard from some of the wives that all the housing was wiped out when Katrina hit and all they have is mobile homes! I'm guess by now they've rebuilt some at least right? There is also another site that is really great for military wives at www.msos.com and I'm sure the ladies there will know for sure

When we moved in I asked how it weathered Katrina. Here there was only wind damage here. The housing I live in was built in '03. Also, we are one of the first areas to be evacuated. My assumption is because it's a military base and it's so far south but I don't know for sure.

• My husband has to be there no later than February 4th. We will most likely be moving around mid January. Are you living on base housing?
  • Yes, this is the link https://www.patricianmilitary.com/navalairstation/Default.aspx.

I think when I was looking the wait was like 2 weeks or something but they ask for 30-60 days. My husband had to check in Sept 30th and we left NY on the 21st of Aug. I've heard of wait lists of like a year so I was shocked at that. Also, I don't know if it tells you this on their website or if it matters to you or not, but you can be married or single active military, civilian DOD employee or retired to live here.

• The housing looks decent. Camp Lejeune has mainly brand new housing that has just been built and it is sooo nice. I will be sad to give up our home. Hehe. Looking forward to the move. We have been in Jacksonville for 5 years. May I ask what the area is like outside of base? As far as food and shopping goes. We have been to Slidell which is about an hour away and they have lots of nice places to eat and tons of shopping. But I was wondering about the area closer to base. And girl, thank you so much for all of the information!
  • OMG no problem!! Glad I could help :) As far as food, I have yet to find a grocery store that I'm in love with (the comissary is moving from Algiers to here and is supposed to be done this Feb). I usually go to WalMart, but to WinnDixie for my meat. The restuarants in the area right outside the base are more like "mom&pop" cajun places, but if you don't mind driving 20min or so there's Applebee's, BK, McD's. There's a small mall (Sears, Old Navy and stuff) before you hit the freeway to get to the city. To get to the really good shopping and restaurants the closest place I've found is Metarie (which is like 30 or 40 min dpending on traffic). There's a couple good malls, a Whole Foods Market (btw that's where the only Dunkin' Donuts is in the area Super Angry). But it makes for a nice day out.

PS- When you live here (on base) you are restricted to the base clinic for your medical. They told us when we got here that children under 3 go out in town... then no they don't that hasn't been passed yet... but whatever we got it waived for my son and he goes to a pedi out in town and I have my first appt @ the clinic tomorrow morning so we'll see how it goes.

If you have any other questions PM me and just let me know :)

• imagemandapie:

imageswrlygrl:
    I've heard from some of the wives that all the housing was wiped out when Katrina hit and all they have is mobile homes! I'm guess by now they've rebuilt some at least right? There is also another site that is really great for military wives at www.msos.com and I'm sure the ladies there will know for sure

When we moved in I asked how it weathered Katrina. Here there was only wind damage here. The housing I live in was built in '03. Also, we are one of the first areas to be evacuated. My assumption is because it's a military base and it's so far south but I don't know for sure.

I'm a lurker, but we are currently stationed here. He works on the smaller Algiers base and we moved off almost immediately after getting married (but they're not putting many people in housing over here anymore since they're changing the base around & making it government, off-base housing). If you're planning on living on base, definitely try for Belle Chasse. Personally, I hate Patrician Management who runs housing, but I know a lot of people have no qualms with them. The housing (on BC) looks nicer from the outside than it does from the inside, but that's just IMO. Don't know if you have kids, but Belle Chasse Academy is great and right on base.

As far as hurricanes (and any bad, potentially flooding storms) we are the first people to evacuate out of the entire city. We get orders from the CO before the town officials do and are sent out to Ft. Worth. I don't know that it necessarily has anything to do with being so south because we are so far up the Mississippi, but it is because we're military and we're the ones that need to get out first, just in case they need to come back in after the major damage. The past 2 seasons have had no evacuations at all though even though this year was predicted to be "one of the worst hurricane seasons ever".

Belle Chasse is somewhat far away from everything else, but it's a better place to live than near the Algiers base on the westbank. It's pretty fun to live here at first, but it definitely gets old very fast and it's a very small base. But if you do have kids, there are tons of fun things to do with them around here and quite a few military (and non-military) mommy groups.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"