VBAC
Options

Anterior placenta

Is anterior placenta something I need to worry about when it comes to VBAC?  When my MW found out I had one, she said that they prefer it not to be anterior but said that it really is fine.  I don't really know why anterior matters.  Does it?  Is there a bigger risk for complications?

I trust my MW, but I hear other VBAC moms (on Facebook) are afraid of finding out they have anterior placenta.  What's the deal, I keep wondering. 

Re: Anterior placenta

• Options
    They are concerned about it growing into your scar. As long as it is higher up, then it's not  that big a deal. It also delays when you feel the baby and when they can hear the HB. I had one with #1.
    The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)
  • Options

I had/have an anterior placenta.  It wraps around the back to the front essentially.  All it meant for me was that I would need a few extra u/s at 23wks and 33 wks to check on its location.  Mine moved from just above my scar line to the top of my fundus by 33 wks.  No where near the scar line.  The perinatologist that checked all of my u/s said in her experience placentas normally moved up and away from the scar line.

My MW told me it would not be a problem for my VBAC unless it was close to/on my cervix (placenta previa). 

She said the major complications with my placenta being near/attached to my scar were placenta accreta (where it has grown through the scar) and potential blood loss problems if I were to need another c/s.  I would also most likely (but not always) need to have a  hysterectomy.  Scary issues, yes.  But like I said... my anterior low placenta moved up just fine. 

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions Smile  HTH and GL. 

EDIT:  FWIW, I've never had any issues with fetal movement.  I started feeling random kicks/flutters around 16 wks, and then more consistent movement around 23-24 wks.  I was told by my MW it might be harder to feel movement, but that wasn't the case for me Smile.

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have an anterior placenta this time but my midwives have not expressed any concern at all regarding an attempt to VBAC.  I didn't feel this baby move until 17 weeks but felt DD move at 13 weeks.  Seventeen weeks is normal though and I feel him all the time now.
    imageimage

TTC #1 Cycle 14 - IUI#1=BFN, IUI#2=BFP | TTC #2 Cycle 8=BFP!! imageimage

• Options
    I had an anterior placenta with Charlie and no one seemed concerned about it. I went on to have a successful VBAC :)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"