Alabama Babies

Still struggling with my decision....

I am still struggling with my decision to schedule a c-section.

I now struggle with the fact it's scheduled 8 days before my medical due date and 10 days before MY due date (based on when I am pretty sure I ovulated/conceived). What health risks am I imposing on Ryan? Any? will he be a gassy, sickly, colicy, reflux baby who doesn't sleep for the first 6 months? Will my milk not come in and affect my ability to breastfeed?

Avery was overdue and we had no eating/tummy/sleep issues - she was able to "cook" as long as possible. What IF that's the reason and that 8 days in the womb that she gets and Ryan won't makes all the difference???

I KNOW this is crazy and obsessive but I am just absolutely riddled with guilt....and confusion

If I try for a VBAC....what if I am unsuccessful and need another c-section? Or>.. what if I have a beautiful natural birth like I so wanted before Avery came? Is that what I really want? or what if I am that 1% where my uterus abrupts and I put my kid and myself in imminent danger?  or what if I attempt a VBAC and tear so badly I end up with a Vag-anus???  UGH!

I am driving myself insane over thinking all of this. I felt OK last week until the Dr called w/ the "date"...and now I am back to square one with feeling like it's not the right decision.

Re: Still struggling with my decision....

• Sarah - I understand that you are struggling. I would also be afraid of trying the VBAC and ultimately ending in a section.  After my failed induction, I'm pretty sure I will go scheduled c/s with the next one.

BTW, James was born at 41w4d.  And he had problems latching, my supply was horrible, he had reflux.  And I know my conception weekend so I really was that overdue.

And one of my good friends had to have a c/s with her first.  She was not able to EBF her daughter and ahe was born 2 days past her edd.  She struggled with whether or not to try a VBAC and ultimately scheduled a c/s.  Her son was born 2 weeks early and has BF like a champ.  Shocked Rachel to no end b/c she was all set to formula feed.

• I had Miller a week early and he was beyond healthy.  My Dr. said that little white boys are the worlds worst for late lung development, yet she felt confident that he would be fine coming a week early.  Even though I was begging to be taken a little earlier, (due to his overwhelming size) she made me tough it out and hang on until at least 39 weeks.  He does have reflux, but I don't think him being born a week early was the case.  If I remember correctly Amy's little boy, James was born late and he suffers from reflux, therefore I'm not sure if his "baking" time has anything to do with that. 

As for breastfeeding, I'm not sure.  I didn't breastfeed with Miller, so I have no experience in that area. 

I would talk with your Dr. and discuss your concerns and the risk factors of him having reflux, colic, etc.  I know it's hard, but I would try to relax, don't stress yourself out over these little "what ifs" that might happen. 

• Loading the player...
  • Oh Sarah,

You need to be ok with whatever decision you make.  If you feel better waiting then talk to the dr about it.  Stressing/worrying over it is not going to help you OR Ryan.

Hope you can ease your mind about it and take care of yourself.  You need to do what you feel is best and what you feel ok with and most comfortable with.

HUGS!!!

• Sarah I am so sorry you are feeling so confused, etc.  I'm like Amy in since my induction failed with Aubrey I am definitely going for the repeat c-section with baby number 2. 

As for the reflux Aubrey was born 1 day past her due date(and I am sure on the conception time so I know I had the correct due date), so she was fully baked, and she had acid reflux. I don't think when they are born has that much to do with that issue....some babies just have it and some don't.   

I'm sorry I can't help with the b/f stuff.  I didn't b/f so no experience.  

Basically I'd really discuss your concerns with your doctor (and maybe even the pedi?) and also have a good long think it over with yourself to make sure you are okay with your decision.  Good luck :) 

• Ok first...[[[HUGS]]] and deep breaths!  I know that you are really worried right now.  All I can say is that all kids are different and at this stage of the game, it's probably not really going to matter all that much.

Second, let me remind you....Caroline was (IS) and awful sleeper, always has been....probably always will be (until she's a teenager, I'm sure).  I'm sure you remember that she didn't come until 41 weeks on the dot.  "Cooking longer" didn't have a thing to do about the fact that she had reflux/colic....whatever.

You can do the "what if's", but it's just going to drive you crazy in the end.  There is no need to feel guilty at ALL!  You are a great mom Sarah!!!  Please quit being so hard on yourself.  <3  Love ya!

• Okay the bump cut out a paragraph out of my answer...weird. 

I also said to not let the what if's drive you crazy. It's not worth the stress on you or Ryan.  There isn't anything to feel guilty about if you do choose to have the c-section, and if anyone is giving you grief over it then they just need to step back.  You do what is best for you and for Ryan.  You are a great mother, and you'll make the right decision.  

Okay so hopefully the bump doesn't cut that one out this time.  

• Sarah you are an awesome Mom and whatever decision you make will be great, please don't stress over it. Alex came 9 days early and sometimes he STTN and sometimes he doesn't (but that is more time I get to spend with him), sometimes he's gassy and sometimes he's not (and we just do bicycle legs and laugh at all the farts he lets out). We had trouble with breastfeeding but that was partly because I had never done it and partly because my nurse told me she had just graduated (so she wasn't sure what to do either). I was happy that Alex came early because he had two huge poops right after he was born. Not sure if that was normal but I'm glad he wasn't in there any longer and could have swallowed it. So maybe this wasn't very helpful but a long story short. Alex was a healthy and happy baby and Ryan will be too!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • HUGS. Whatever decision you make will be o.k. and perfect for you and your baby.

If I had to have a c-section the first time around, I'd probably attempt the second time. But, VBACs aren't offered at my hospital, so I doubt I would have a choice if I were in your shoes.

If it makes you feel better at all, K was born a week early on the dot (not induced) and while her weight was lower than what we expected and my milk took forever to come in, overall she was perfectly healthy and we did successfully breastfeed for a year. I can count the number of times she's spit up (less than 5, probably.) She's never had reflux and has always been a great sleeper.

So, you just never know. I'm sure being induced early will be fine!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
    mmc and d&c at 8.5 weeks - 8/23/2010
    natural m/c and d&c at 10 weeks - 1/24/2014
    DX w/ hetero C677t and A1298C MTHFR - 3/4/2014

• I'm sorry you're struggling. I think if you  stick with what you're doing, you'll be fine-but at the same time, if you really want to go with the VBAC that would be fine too.

Maybe a good compromise for now would be to think about postponing the c section a few more days so he cooks a little longer.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • It's easier said than done but try not to stress. You made this decision with your doctor and you made it with yours and Ryans safety and health in mind. I know you did what you believed is best for you and Ryan! I'm sorry you are having to deal with this! ((HUGS))
    Erin~N~Gregg 6/30/07 Project 365 imageCafeMom Tickers
  • (((HUGS)))

Payton was born at 39w on the dot -- and was her birthmother's 4th c-section.  Her bm's milk came in the next day.  Payton was never fussy or had major tummy issues (we did move her to the gentlease formula b/c she had poop issues, but she was super happy and calm 99% of the time).

I think the things you fear are attributable to individual babies and not their birth method. 

Do whatever is right for you and I will 100% support you in your decision!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"