Adoption
Options

Buying Baby Stuff

When did you guys start buying baby stuff?  We have just started the domestic process (like a week ago), but already I am going crazy looking for deals!  We have been researching adoption and agencies for a year, but we waiting until we felt it was time to actually commit to an agency.

(We are adopting without infertility issues-and we never really thought we would have kids until we got the call from God to raise one of His children.)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Buying Baby Stuff

• Options

I'm sure you'll get a variety of answers. It's definately a personal experience. Some people don't want to have to look at baby stuff while they're waiting, others don't care.

We signed with our agency in Apr, and went active in Jun. I'm completely fine with getting stuff ahead of time, and really wanted to make sure we're ready. I haven't personally bought anything, I wanted to wait until our homestudy was complete, which it is now. But, our family threw us a baby shower in Jul, and we got a lot of stuff.

After 2years TTC and 1yr,2mo waiting for an adoption match, our blessing is here!

"You may not have my eyes or smile, but from that very first moment you had my heart"Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Surprise BFP made our family complete!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Like pp mentioned, it is a personal decision. We went active last October and got all of our furniture in January as well as just a few clothing items. We have been matched and know the sex but I still am afraid to buy too much just in case. I have kept my heart guarded as I've heard lots of stories on here and know nothing is 100% until our baby is home and our 72 hours is up after BM signs. With that said, I will go buy a going home outfit this weekend and wait on the rest until she is home safe and sound.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Well, we are still in the paper work phase at the moment. I'm sure in the next month or so we will have our home study. After we are officially active and waiting for a match, I'm going to start with buying the crib and the stroller and car seat. If we don't spend to much on Christmas gifts I may buy more gender neutral things just so we will be ready just incase we happen to get a surprising call. :) Good luck!
  • Options
    We waited until we were "active" and officially waiting. We have been waiting for about 9 1/2 months now and our nursery is ready. We have a lot of baby boy clothes because my sister has 3 boys and we have had 2 failed matches both with boys. Everything else is pretty much gender neutral though! If we get a girl, we will have to rush out to buy lots of clothes but that's really all we would need ( besides formula, ect!). We bought a carseat/stroller combo before our first match failed but luckily we got a gender neutral one just in case so we can use it for a boy or a girl! I think it's a very personal choice! Some people can't stand seeing the baby stuff but no baby. I agree it's difficult at times but it gives me hope more than it makes me sad!!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

We are at the 'tail end' of home study and waiting to officially have that completed before buying anything for the baby's room.  I have, however, been looking at everything - getting ideas and such!!  And have purchased a ring sling so I can 'wear' the baby and keep them close to me.  Actually, I only paid for S/H because they provided a code to get one free!

GL!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

It's a personal decision. We were going to wait until later, but some people here got quick matches and encouraged having at least the basics to make life easier. We decided that we would get the Big 4 during our homestudy: crib, stroller, carseat, and Pack n Play. Once we finished the HS we started picking up things along the way.

The other thing to keep in mind is that someone may want to throw you a baby shower.

• Options

We bought things a little bit at a time!

We bought our furniture right away and made 3 payments on it.  We bought lots of gender neutral gear and stuff like that while we waited.  It was easier to spread out the $$ IMO.

• Options

Ours was IA, and we knew we would probably get a boy.

That said, I bought nothing until we received our referral. Had the crib (hand-me-down) set up well after our referral, and bought exactly 2 outfits and a blakie (which we sent to Korea in a care package) before we traveled. I did have a shower about 6 weeks before we went, and got some hand-me-down clothing.

And I hit Target within 48 hours of coming home, in an absolute fog of hallucinations.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"