Houston Babies

Veteran Moms Come in...

In your experience when does the "puts everything in their mouth" stage end?  I need a light at the end of the tunnel.  Big Smile 
My big boy is bounding towards 4! Baby brother coming in October!
Hipster dog is not impressed.

Re: Veteran Moms Come in...

• I almost didn't click this post, I was thinking "am I a veteran mom?"  I feel like a newbie these days with two kiddos with completely different needs. 

Amelia stopped around 14-15 months when she wanted to talk and couldn't have stuff in her mouth at the same time.

• Anyone whose kid is older than mine counts as a veteran in my book! ;) 

When language starts to develop makes sense, I expected it was somewhere between a year and 18 months, I was just hoping the stage ended sooner rather than later!

• Loading the player...
  • DS is 18 months and he doesn't do it nearly as much as he used to but there are still some things that catch his attention that he just has to give a taste.
  • imageSuzi-G-:

Anyone whose kid is older than mine counts as a veteran in my book! ;) 

When language starts to develop makes sense, I expected it was somewhere between a year and 18 months, I was just hoping the stage ended sooner rather than later!

It does slow down gradually.  DD wasn't terribly oral, she's always liked to rub things.  Her lovie (a piglet) gets his ears rubbed all of the time, it's her way of soothing.

His need to put things in his mouth is a good (albeit annoying) sign because he's exploring his world.  Give him plenty of things that are safe to suck/chew on and hopefully it will make it easier on you.  He's also getting to the age that he'll understand the word no.  I read an article once that said that 10 month olds have the same mental capacity as a dog...so the word no is definitely something he can understand so don't hesitate in telling him no if it's unsafe.  

• I had adult boyfriends who still couldn't stop putting things in their mouths...

but both of my kids stopped doing it around a year. On occasion I still have to tell them both to "take that out of your mouth" but neither of them still mouth everything just for the hell of it. 

• imagerayskit10:

I had adult boyfriends who still couldn't stop putting things in their mouths...

but both of my kids stopped doing it around a year. On occasion I still have to tell them both to "take that out of your mouth" but neither of them still mouth everything just for the hell of it. 

Bahahahahahaha 

Right after I posted this I pictured DH chewing on a pen cap and thought 'well crap everyone's going to laugh at me and say.... um NEVER!'  

• Kohen will be 5 in May and he still does it.  ALL THE TIME.  I am seriously going to speak with his pedi about it at his next appointment.  He constantly chews on his shirts, puts small toys in his mouth, etc.  I don't know what to do either.  Kamryn stopped around 18 months.
  • For Marion, it stopped when she started walking.  I guess she had better things to do with her time and skills at that point?  It was like when she was just sitting or crawling, she got bored.  (Or more likely, had limited exploratory opportunities.)
  • I thought that phase would never end!!! But it did. I'm not sure when - maybe around 18 months. I still occasionally catch him putting random things in there, which is bad because we're not on alert like we were when every single thing in the room went in his mouth.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have one that will be 3 years old in February and STILL wants to put most things in her mouth.  She's also a thumbsucker so maybe she's just got an oral fixation going on!  Our older daughter never was like that, never took a pacifier and never sucked her thumb.  They are opposites about everything so I'm not surprised.

• imagehoustonkdw:
    Kohen will be 5 in May and he still does it.  ALL THE TIME.  I am seriously going to speak with his pedi about it at his next appointment.  He constantly chews on his shirts, puts small toys in his mouth, etc.  I don't know what to do either.  Kamryn stopped around 18 months.

Connor is 3 and still doing this too. It stopped for a while between about 2 and 3, but has started again.

• imageKKMMex:
    I have one that will be 3 years old in February and STILL wants to put most things in her mouth.  She's also a thumbsucker so maybe she's just got an oral fixation going on!  Our older daughter never was like that, never took a pacifier and never sucked her thumb.  They are opposites about everything so I'm not surprised.

Your BABY is going to be 3 in January?!  No way!  Where did the time go?

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • There was a significant decline somewhere in her 2nd year, after we got her off the paci.

But she is comforted orally and at 3.75 yrs she chews her nails sometimes or if she's really upset she'll stick her fingers in her mouth when she cries.

She doesn't generally lick everything or figure out what it is by putting it in her mouth anymore, and that has been since about 18 months to 2 years.

"If you can't say something nice, shut the hell up!"
    - Paula Deen to 104.1 KRBE's Producer Eric 9/17/2011
  • Mia slowed down around 12months.  Stopped altogether around 18 months.  Started up again briefly when Micah was born.

Micah put a paintbrush with paint on it in her mouth today.  She's 21 months.  So... We're still working on it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"