Pre-School and Daycare

A few activity PIPs

Some crafts and other things that DD has really liked lately. Do you have any to share?

(For the record, these were done over several weeks. It just looks like they all happened over a day or two because she picks out the same clothes all the time!)

Ripping practice to make an ocean. DD really liked this! She also cut up a birthday banner to make the shiny waves, and added a few sealife punches.

Q is for queen. DD had very specific ideas for how she wanted to make this collage. It was fun to watch how intense she was!

Bathing dolls in shaving cream and water. She spent 2 hours doing this, several days in a row! (You do have to disassemble the doll afterward so it can dry completely.)

New paintbrushes (in the orange container)!

Color mixing practice. We went out and examined how big a tree trunk is, then the branches get smaller. I provided her with 3 sizes of popsicle sticks. She didn't seem to absorb the "lesson," which is fine, but it does look very fall-like!

Probably DD's favorite. She thought it was hysterical that I traced her whole body. She LOVED painting herself in brown. I was going to do the leaves the second day, but she wanted to finish it all at once!

Marbles dipped in paint, then rolled down a paper-covered slide. (And then she got to clean off the slide, which she also thoroughly enjoyed.)

Painting the playhouse. I made a batch of homemade fingerpaint (this one was soap-based. It didn't have great coverage, but it washed off easily and didn't stain!) and let her have at it! Again, she got to clean off the house when she finished, which was half the fun.

I made a batch of plaster of Paris and stuck some toys in it. When it was dry, I popped it out of the container and let DD go to town with a hammer! Really fun!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: A few activity PIPs

• Wow, you are so creative!!  Can you come teach me how to do that, lol!  Your DD is a cutie too :-)
  • That tree is amazing!  You are just so creative!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Wow!!  I have no idea how you come up with all these great ideas.  That painted silhouette with the leaves is the coolest thing I've seen.
  • Your daughter is so lucky
    Love the one of her with the leaves
    Summer 2011
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers ~early M/C 4/09 ~ Ectopic 6/09~ BFP 11/09~
  • As always, I'm in awe.  I'm glad my DD isn't looking over my shoulder right now or she'd be packing her bags.  ;)

That brown silhouette with the leaves is worthy of framing.  It's gorgeous.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - (C6hS)

• Impressive as always! I too love the silhouette tree -- so much so that I'll probably steal that idea!

Last week we made simple Halloween decorations: I drew pumpkins, cats, and snakes (all per her request) with black marker, then she colored them in, and then I cut them out and hung them from our playroom window with string. We made ghosts out of tissues too. I haven't taken a picture of it yet, but it looks pretty cute, and DD loves it.

DH went to Hawaii earlier this month and brought DD home the book Limu The Blue Turtle, so in honor of that, we made our own Limu by painting a small paper plate green then blue, then we used glue dots to stick on his head and flippers.

Then this one was for DH's birthday, and I obviously did most of the work with tracing and then cutting out the girls' hands, but after I laid out the (sticky foam) letters in order on the table, DD placed them onto each finger.

Emily 11.29.2007 | Kate 4.3.2010 | James 8.22.2013
  • Love it, thanks!

A few questions:

I really love the one where you had her paint her tracing and did she glue the leaves from tissue paper above?  Is that just regular easel paper and tempera paint?  Tissue paper?

The plaster of paris...great idea!  However I am new to using plaster of paris.  Where do you buy yours, and does it have warnings on it?  Does it ever irritate her skin or eyes? 

Thanks!

• Praline:

The leaves are from Oriental Trading Co. It was a bag of cheap, fake leaves. Colorful pieces of tissue paper would have worked just as well. We glued them on with plain old white glue. The paper is from the easel (our paper is from Ikea) and the paint is regular brown poster paint from Crayola.

The Plaster of Paris is from Michael's - it came in a white tub. You just mix it with water. The warning label says that it could irritate skin so you should wash off after doing something like a handprint activity. She washed her hands after this activity, obviously, but it wasn't irritating her and it was also 100% dry. I wouldn't have let her mix up the plaster because it's a very fine powder and I wouldn't want her breathing that. I mixed everything up alone and a few days later we did the activity.

HTH!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"