Military Families

Military pregnancy appts

So it seems in the civilian world everyone else goes for appt's every two weeks starting at 28 weeks.

why does the military not start this until 36 weeks? Is this the same everywhere. I know it was done like that in Alaska, and now in san antonio.

It seems crazy to me. I never made it past a 24 week appt last pregnancy due to being in labor and delivery and complications, but was wondering if this is standard everywhere??

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Military pregnancy appts

• Really??? I have never heard of this. That makes me kinda nervous and we have not even started ttc #2 yet.
  • I am starting my every 2 week appts. now and will go to every week at 36 weeks. I think it depends on where you are and where you are being seen. Even though I go to a MTF for my primary care, we do not have a hospital, so all maternity care is done out in town. If you have an issue with it contact your Dr. or go to the Tricare office to speak with the patient advocate and see if you can start your 2 week appointments at 28 weeks.
    Long time Waiting BFP 5/8/10 It's a Boy! 1/7/2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Graphics
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm wondering if anyone happens to know how this works at Camp Pendleton..?
  • I never had appointments every two weeks. Once/month up until 36 weeks when it switches to every week. I believe it varies from post to post. At first I was upset that I didn't get two/month, but now after going 4 weeks in a row I'm thankful. It gets old!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSarahTx5701:

So it seems in the civilian world everyone else goes for appt's every two weeks starting at 28 weeks.

why does the military not start this until 36 weeks? Is this the same everywhere. I know it was done like that in Alaska, and now in san antonio.

It seems crazy to me. I never made it past a 24 week appt last pregnancy due to being in labor and delivery and complications, but was wondering if this is standard everywhere??

Agree.  My daughter also came early and might not have survived had I been on the MTF appointment schedule.  

I'm sure driving an hour to my bi-monthly and then weekly appointments will indeed get old, but I'm grateful for the peace of mind. 

Sarah, are you with a civilian provider this time? 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • its gotta vary by the MTF...i will be going every week soon...they wanted me to start going two time a week for NSTs starting on week 32 here at Ft Sam...

when i was with a civi dr, i NEVER got to the every other week or every week appts, so i cant say that its only in the military world that that happens...ask your dr why you arent going more often

• Ft Hood starts every 2 week appointments at week 36 for Women's Health Clinic patients and at week 32 for Family Medicine Clinic patients.
  • Double post. Sorry!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagevlewis84:
    I'm wondering if anyone happens to know how this works at Camp Pendleton..?

It was the same for me at Camp Pendleton. I think they keep it that way unless you have complications.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagefrostyprincess24:
    I am starting my every 2 week appts. now and will go to every week at 36 weeks. I think it depends on where you are and where you are being seen. Even though I go to a MTF for my primary care, we do not have a hospital, so all maternity care is done out in town.

This is how it is at our base in FL. I saw a civilian provider for DS and will again for the new baby.

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSarahTx5701:

I would think since you delivered so early with your first that they would do things differently with you. I'm sure if you asked they would acomodate you
  • imageSarahTx5701:

Hmm... I don't know. I'm in Alaska, and where I am only do it every 2 weeks if you're high risk or 34 weeks+. I've been seeing my doctor every 2 weeks since 20 weeks though (high risk) and will go every week starting at 34-36 weeks. I know in Utah and Colorado they did every 2 weeks around 30 weeks until delivery. At least thats what they did for my friends anyway. Not sure if thats standard or if they needed the extra appointments though.
    New little one arriving in June 2015!
    No fertility care this time, and post cancer treatment! Hooray!
    Total Thyroidectomy for Papillary Thyroid Cancer in 2013
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Diagnosed with PCOS in 2004. 
    Kaylin Rose conceived in 2010 by IUI, DOB January 01, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My MTF does not do OB and I had to go off post to a doctor.  The offices around here have two week appointments starting at 34 weeks unless you had any issues.  If you do not like the care you are receiving you can request a referral to be seen off post, I believe.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP 2/17/12 EDD 10/24/12 MM/C 3/22/12 D&C 3/27, 4/4, 4/9
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Kristin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • It must be different every where, just like everything else with the Army. Im already 10 weeks and I have not been released to see an OB yet. So I feel you on the getting nervous thing. Seriously, I will be going to my Chain of Command next week If i can't get an appointment in my First Trimester. Maybe its because I am using an MTF, but that doesn't make sense to me really either. I dunno but good luck and you are not alone in this whole lack of appointments thing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"