Military Families

Marine Corps Ballllll..... UGH!

I'm not looking forward to this year's Ball... Being Pregnant, wearing a LONG dress, and having to wear HEELS... Nope. Glad it's only for 1 night.

Has anyone ever been pregnant for the Ball ???

How the heck are you supposed to be comfortable?
I'm going to be 16wks.

Lord save me now!!!

Re: Marine Corps Ballllll..... UGH!

• I've never been to a mil ball (DH is AF and well, we don't do balls like the USMC), but I'd imagine if you get a floor length dress you could save yourself some torture and wear a pretty pair of flats under the dress instead.

I know on the Mil Nest board there were a couple of expecting moms who went to balls this year. I think they opted for empire waisted dresses for comfort and cost reasons, if you haven't gotten a dress yet. HTH. GL and have fun!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I went to Hawkeye Ball (the ball for DH's community) around 24weeks. I wasn't very big yet, so I got a regular (non-maternity) dress in a larger size with an empire waist and it worked out well. I wore heels for the formal dinner/ceremony part and changed into flats/flip flops for the dancing and fun after. I would recommend though, that if you have any kind of belly poking out to consider wearing either maternity pantyhose or spanx, by the end of the night my belly muscles were so sore because it was the first time my stomach had been supporting itself for a long period of time (I was only wearing a dress and undies). Although at just 16 weeks you may not need the extra support yet. 
    Long time Waiting BFP 5/8/10 It's a Boy! 1/7/2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Graphics
  • Loading the player...
  • You don't have to wear heels, as a PP suggested you can wear a pretty pair of flat shoes.
  • I went to one ball at 15 weeks and another at 32 weeks.  I wore flats to both.  Most of the pg women I have seen at ball also wore flats or kitten heels instead of high heels.  The only thing that bothered me was having to race to the bathroom when the doors opened.  We are only allowed to exit the ball room at certain times because of ceremonies.
  • Our ball in 6 Nov and I will be 28 weeks. I have a long dress and small heels, maybe an inch or so. This is my first ball but I'm looking forward to it. I was AD Air Force and we didn't have balls like they do here.
  • When I was pregnant with DS, I was still very comfortable at 16 weeks and wasn't even showing.  I doubt you'll have an issue.  It would be a lot different if you were 37 weeks at the USMC ball.
  • I don't want to even think of what further along would be like!

I'm just glad he can't dnace... ha!
    But I found kitten heels... I'm just too short and my dress is too long to try and get away with flats! I'm only 5'2" so floor length is 4" of material pooling on the ground. Stick out tongue

But I'll just sit there barefoot for a bit during dinner and such. We're not staying the whole night.

Thanks for the help ladies!!! Oh! and I bought support panyhose because my back already has been an issue, and the lady in Motherhood said they would help.

• I was about 4 months along with DS at a ball (it was like a Birthday Ball but for the NROTC DH was attached to)

I got my dress at Ross (there's usually a ton of empire waisted dresses that look great over a bump) and I took my heels off whenever we were seated at the table.  We waited for pictures until after the ceremony so I didn't have to wait in an incredibly long line.  And I was the first one up after the ceremony to get to the bathroom before everyone else  lol

Being sober sucked.  Other than that, I was perfectly comfortable  :)

Oh and cake!  Hells yeah!  lol 

CafeMom Tickers
    CafeMom Tickers
  • You don't have to wear heels.  BFF was hugely pregnant for our cav ball this summer and she found some nice flats that matched her dress, and was comfortable all night.

ETA - Get your dress hemmed if it's too long.  If you have a sewing machine you can easily do it yourself, if not it shouldn't be more than a few bucks to have it done by a tailor really quick. 

• I will be 31 weeks at this years ball and I was able to find a nonmaternity decent looking empire waist dress at Davids Bridal... I was barely showing at 16 weeks so you should be fine!  Have fun :)
    Pregnancy Ticker

Natural M/C 1.10 MMC 1.13 CP 12.13
    This is for all the caterpillars that never became butterflies. And for all the butterflies that never felt the wind in their wings. And for all the hearts that had hopes and dreams of a wondrous flight together.
  • I was that far along last year. It wasn't bad.  I looked fat and not pregnant but really it wasn't bad.  It also gave me an excuse to eat the 4 pieces of cake that I did.  haha.

I'm dreading this year!  I have a little under a month to find a dress and my body is just not tight dress ready so I'll be investing in spanx. :)

ETA: OP I'm in oceanside too. :)  we live on base.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I got mine at Mainside... It wasn't too expensive, but it looked amazing, and fit me perfectly (and will for the ball)

Oceanside is amazing, we live off base... Housing didn't want to give us a call back so we had to rush and find a place. haha.
    I've never been to a Ball before and I'm a little nervous... but If you say they have CAKE I'm more than willing to don heels and a dress for it!
  • I'll be about 18, almost 19 weeks for our ball and YUP i'm NOT happy! So annoying. Besides finding a dress, lets talk about how glorious preggo-acne has made my body unappealing on a whole other level.
  • I'll be 13 weeks with twins at the ball. I got an empire waist dress from David's Bridal and think it's complimenting but I'll have some sort of a bump by then. I ordered a pair of strappy flat dress sandals because I'm just not into wearing heels all night. 

We are also at Pendleton and live off base but more inland.  

IVF Twins...two boys! Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ohhh Pregnancy Acne... Nasty stuff... It's the one thing I can REALLY do without!!!

We're inland too. And a block from Carlsbad... No joke. I'm kind of glad we live off base... but the drive is another thing.
    13 weeks with twins, Hmm I would say a bump will be there. I'm 13 with one and I got a barely there bump. haha. It's more of a "Am I fat or is that the baby? Or both?" bump.

• Well I actually can't wait for the ball this year. I bought my dress two weeks ago and i found out a week later Iam pregnant! So I guess no drinking at the ball for me this year! I am Bloating like CRAZY though, i might have to go buy a dress one size up! haha
  • I was 38 weeks pregnant at a ball right before DH deployed. I wore a very cheap, very stretchy dress that I had also worn to a wedding at 14 weeks. We swing danced and did a death drop, which gave a few onlookers a heart attack. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image
    221_-6_Little Charlotte is.png" alt="baby" border="0" />
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"