3rd Trimester

Labor & delivery with a piercing...

I am 34 weeks, due in 6.

I have a hood piercing and when I asked my doc about it he said I should consider taking it out once I go into labor. I would prefer not to unless doing so is the wiser choice.

I am hoping to hear from those who have gone through delivery and also have a hood piercing... what did you do?

Thanks!! =)

Re: Labor & delivery with a piercing...

• Um...if your doc said you should take it out, maybe you should just take it out? I'd be afraid of it like ripping off or something haha. Can you not put it back in?
    A woman's life is nine parts mess to one part magic, you'll learn that soon enough...and the parts that look like magic turn out to be the messiest of all.
  • NSLNSL member
    Erm, yes, you should listen to your doctor and take it out.
  • Loading the player...
  • As a nurse, I would recommend taking it out. If you have to have an emergency c-section, you cannot have any metal piercings in (we use an electrical cautery machine to stop bleeding and if you have metal, it conducts electricity and can cause a burn where the piercing. Also, if you swell a good amount, it may not be comfortable to have a piercing in...(where is a "hood" piercing by the way?)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm sure there will be enough ripping and tearing without worrying about vagina accessories....
  • imageJLSmith124:
    As a nurse, I would recommend taking it out. If you have to have an emergency c-section, you cannot have any metal piercings in (we use an electrical cautery machine to stop bleeding and if you have metal, it conducts electricity and can cause a burn where the piercing. Also, if you swell a good amount, it may not be comfortable to have a piercing in...(where is a "hood" piercing by the way?)

On the hood of the clittoris.

~ Mrs. G
  • I am irrationally annoyed by this question.

lol 

• Between all of the swelling that happens down there and the risk that it could get ripped out, I would definitely remove it-- especially if your Dr. recommended it.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageJenM9:
    I'm sure there will be enough ripping and tearing without worrying about vagina accessories....

Hehehehehe

Yeah, I would take it out. My hubby told me my lady bits weren't recognizable while I was pushing from all the stretching and swelling down there. Better safe than sorry. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • ive had mine for about 7 years, so i just take mine out...i have nipple piercings as well that are newer, and i just took them out cuz of the boob swelling and it was going to be annoying takign them out and putting them in every feeding!  i would take it out, it might rip!  mine can stay out for insanely long amounts of time at this point and not close, so i wasnt concerned...

dr did my physical, and saw all my metal additions, and his face went Indifferent

• If your doctor recommended taking it out that's probably a good idea.
    BabyFruit Ticker

photo 1d770d91-53d1-4538-bdc8-2350dc996755.jpg 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

BFP #1 - 8.23.11 | EDD 5.4.12 | Natural MC 11w6d
    BFP #2 - 2.27.12 | EDD 11.9.12 | DD #1- 11.2.12!!
    BFP #3 - 4.12.14 | EDD 12.24.14
  • I delivered my DD vaginally with 2 hood piercings. They're plenty enough out of the way for the delivery and I had no issues with them at all. I was told if I needed a c/s that they'd have to come out.
  • I am with pp I would remove it just to be safe
    DD 11/5/10 born by c section DS 9/8/07 born by c section due to Pre-e/Hellp Syndrome m/c at 5 1/2 weeks 8/4/06 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker
  • I have nothing to add but *ouch*.

I'm no stranger to metal or ink, but that's one that I just don't think I could do!

Oh. Also. Probably listen to your doctor, I guess. ;o)

• imageJoAnn78:

I am 34 weeks, due in 6.

I have a hood piercing and when I asked my doc about it he said I should consider taking it out once I go into labor. I would prefer not to unless doing so is the wiser choice.

I am hoping to hear from those who have gone through delivery and also have a hood piercing... what did you do?

Thanks!! =)

I'm glad you clarified for the rest of us in our 3rd tri that if you're 34 weeks pregnant that would make you due in 6 Stick out tongue

And if it were me I would listen to your doctor.

• I had all sort of things going on down there; fetal monitor, catheter,vacuum, Dr.'s and nurse's hands etc.  If you can remove it then I would
  • Stupidest. Question. Ever.

ok maybe not NNO stupid, but pretty close.  Why even ask the doctor a question if you are just going to go ask a bunch of random chicks on the internet when you don't like his professional opinion?  

I mean...

Risk for infection

Risk for Skin impairment

That's just a start.

ETA:  You also might want to think about just leaving it out, because your junk is just not going to be as pretty after a birth...and the piercing probably wont have the same effect.

• Personally, I would take it out.  Not like you can't get it put back in after you have delievered & the swelling has gone done.  Wouln't you rather be safe than sorry?
  • imageeowynmn:

Stupidest. Question. Ever.

ok maybe not NNO stupid, but pretty close.  Why even ask the doctor a question if you are just going to go ask a bunch of random chicks on the internet when you don't like his professional opinion?  

I mean...

Risk for infection

Risk for Skin impairment

That's just a start.

ETA:  You also might want to think about just leaving it out, because your junk is just not going to be as pretty after a birth...and the piercing probably wont have the same effect.

oh, how i've missed you.

• imagejlewis121186:

ive had mine for about 7 years, so i just take mine out...i have nipple piercings as well that are newer, and i just took them out cuz of the boob swelling and it was going to be annoying takign them out and putting them in every feeding!  i would take it out, it might rip!  mine can stay out for insanely long amounts of time at this point and not close, so i wasnt concerned...

dr did my physical, and saw all my metal additions, and his face went Indifferent

I used to have one a few years back, and when I went to my OB, I warned him about it.  He was totally unphased.  I think his words were, "Don't worry, I have seen it all!"

I would definitely take it out.  It's not like you can't put it back in!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Take it out!!  I was told to remove mine. And I made sure to do it, before being able to see it was impossible!!  Why risk it!! 
  • I've reduced the metal in my body quite a bit before I got pregnant, but I guess it's up to you, you'll see posters that haven't had problems and then like my BFF didn't take her lady bit accessories out and boy she had problems (It's really a TMI story to share but you can imagine). So really you got decided if it's a risk to you or not.

Good luck! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagePrincesseliss528:

imageJLSmith124:
    As a nurse, I would recommend taking it out. If you have to have an emergency c-section, you cannot have any metal piercings in (we use an electrical cautery machine to stop bleeding and if you have metal, it conducts electricity and can cause a burn where the piercing. Also, if you swell a good amount, it may not be comfortable to have a piercing in...(where is a "hood" piercing by the way?)

On the hood of the clittoris.

ouch! Yes take it out!
  • wow.. so I really wasn't expecting so much... hhmm rudeness!

It wasn't and isn't a stupid question... I feel sorry for those who are unfamiliar with this "not so usual" question, but calling it stupid only shows your intelligence and not mine!

I simply asked for those who have a piercing and have gone through delivery to share with me what they have done and why. The nurses or healthcare providers who answered I can understand their answering... those who just gave an "ouch" or an opinion similar to "ouch", again this shows your intelligence on the matter.

I felt this was an important question, at least for me, otherwise I wouldn't have asked it... I don't care what someone else had asked, I simply would not have replied the way that most have!

I didn't ask my question to get smart*** comments back about 34 and 6... I actually thought about that as I wrote it and left it, obviously, because I chose to.. Wth is wrong with that??

To those of you who put thought into your answer and acually paid attention to the question I thank you for your response... for those of you who find nothing better to do than put fellow women who are pregnant down, for you I feel sad. You would think most here, some who are parents and others who are soon to be, would find a more responsible way of spending their time than putting people down for the question(s) they ask. Good parenting skills are obviously out their!

An added note:
    This is my second child, my first is 15 years old and thankfully has more respect for herself than obviously most here. This isn't my first time down this road, but it has been a while.
    My doctor was giving me his opinion, professional and personal, and yes he did state it that way. When I asked why he simply said that - it's his opinion. He didn't give me any medical reasonsor the like which is another reason I asked fo EXPERIENCED (those women who have a piercing and gone through delivery) people's opinions. If he had givin me a medical reason I wouldn't then come here and ask.
    If it was such a "stupid question" I feel as though I wouldn't have gotten responses that included things like the one where her husband told her what it looked like during delivery (although I recorded my daughter's birth and know what my "area" looked like). I also know I wouldn't have gotten the response where one has piercings and left them in!!!! To you I thank very much for not only reading my question, but understanding it.

This is my first time posting here, asking or answering. It's ashame that I got this type of response and now do not want to involve myself with such childishness and rudeness. Why would adults, mothers now or to be, respond in such a manner that is so belittling?

Well thanks for answering my question and making me feel sorry that I expected respectful answers here... now I know otherwise and will go somewhere else.

• Wow, GBCB on post #2!  That's impressive.
  • Teachers always said "there is no such thing as a stupid question" but you have managed to disprove this theory.

If your doctor said to take it out then TAKE IT OUT. End of story. A medical professional advised you to remove it, and your first thought was to consult a bunch of strangers on a message board???? That is in fact the definition of a stupid question.  

• I really thought this was MUD when I saw it. I agree with the others, if your doc says take it out, take it out. Why would you risk keeping it in? And why does it matter what others have experienced with this? Every labor is different, so even if 3 people say "no problem," that doesn't mean you're in the clear. Just take it out. End of story.

BabyFetus Ticker

• imageJoAnn78:

wow.. so I really wasn't expecting so much... hhmm rudeness!

It wasn't and isn't a stupid question... I feel sorry for those who are unfamiliar with this "not so usual" question, but calling it stupid only shows your intelligence and not mine!

I simply asked for those who have a piercing and have gone through delivery to share with me what they have done and why. The nurses or healthcare providers who answered I can understand their answering... those who just gave an "ouch" or an opinion similar to "ouch", again this shows your intelligence on the matter.

I "ouched". But I'm not sure what that has to do with my "intelligence on the matter". Especially since it was followed up with "you should probably listen to your doctor."

It was my doctors opinion that I should take vitamins, drink plenty of water and overall, take care of my health. When, at my first appointment, she made these recommendations, I did not jump on a public forum asking a bunch of random strangers if her opinion was the right one.

I *am* sorry that you feel attacked or belittled in response to your question, but I also think you need to reconsider the nature of the question to begin with. You didn't come on here saying your doctor said "Meh. Whatever you want to do." - At that point, outside opinions would be validated. You stated specifically that your doctor recommended you consider taking it out. So... Why wouldn't you just do as your doctor recommends?  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"