Pre-School and Daycare

american girl dolls

Does anyone on here have one? DD (almost 4) is asking for one and I see they have the Bitty Babies and Bitty Twins which are probably better suited for her age. I think they are adorable but am up in the air about which to get if any. Do all the clothes fit all the dolls?

Re: american girl dolls

• #6#6 member

I have been wanting to get my girls one but not yet.  To buy one it is $$ but to buy 2 it is just too $$$.  I dont think they take care of their dolls enough now and nor do they care about the AG dolls.  I dont think the Bitty Baby dolls are as cute as some of the cheaper dolls at WM and Target.  (plus my girls like a baby doll that cries and makes noise)  

WM does have a doll (Our Generation, I think) that is about the same size as AG and my girls cant tell the difference.  They saw them on TV (the AG dolls) and we were at WM last night and they said "mommmy!!! Look AG dolls!!"  So we are going with one of them instead.  They are $38.  Beats $96!  

Im not sure what size the Bitty Babies are but Im thinking around 18" so most doll clothes should fit them.  

• Both my girls have Bitty Babies.  Overzealous Aunt gave each one at their 1st birthdays.

They do NOT play with them.  I think it's because they are used to these dolls so they have no use for them now at almost 5 and 3 1/2. 

That said though, I do not like bitty Babies b/c they are not posable and so they cannot sit properly in strollers or high chairs or the like.  Kinda annoying.

I think the American Girl doll clothes all fit.  I think. 

• Loading the player...
  • We have a Bitty Baby and some of her furniture. She plays with her quite a bit. I may get Bitty Twins for her 4th bday.
  • Both my girls are getting AG dolls for Christmas.  I don't really know if DD#2 is ready for one, but she'll be upset if she doesn't get one.  If she doesn't love it, we'll put it away and take it back out when she's older.  If she loves it, great!  I thought about getting her a Bitty Twin (she wants hair) but then I'd be spending a fortune now and still want/need to get her a regular AG doll in a few years.  We got DD#1 a Target knock-off AG doll (can't remember the brand) for her 4-year-old birthday this year.  She loves it and it goes everywhere with her.  She does pretty well about taking care of it too.  Problem is the Target dolls' hair is disgusting.  Picture one giant dreadlock.  Gross.  Apparently, this is a normal problem with Target dolls.  And it does feel cheaper (as it is).  So I took the girls to the AG doll store to look at the dolls and pick out which one they wanted to ask Santa for.  I was hoping to figure out if DD#2 was really excited about the doll or not, but it didn't seem to help. 

Anyway, the clothes for AG dolls and any other 18" dolls fit any doll.  The Bitty Babies and Bitty Twins are 14" or 15" dolls (I can't remember which).  You can get clothes for either on Etsy as well as ebay and other places online so you don't have to get only AG clothes.

• Thanks for all the replies. I went shopping tonight and found Journey Girl dolls - $30 and they are really stylish and similar to the American Girl dolls. Lots of cute clothes which are $12.99. I am a lot more comfortable with this purchase for my soon to be 4 year old than dropping a few hundreds dollars between clothes and accessories. I wanted to pass the brand along in case anyone else is interested, I found them at Toys R Us.
  • My DD#1 got a "big" AG Doll at 3yrs old.  She still loves it at 6yrs old.  I am getting my almost 4yr old DD#2 one for Christmas.  She got a Bitty Baby for Christmas 2yrs ago--she loves it.  She has the stroller & highchair too for it.  I find that they are better quality than other dolls by & large.  We really enjoy all the accessories & stories that go along w/ them too.  
  • #6#6 member
    Not sure if you will see this.  But I was wrong.  The dolls from WM are not Our Generation (Target) they are Friends Boutique by Madame Alexander.   Also forgot to add that these dolls have all sorts of accessories/clothes and even a horse she can really sit on, bed, hair salon chair, bean bag chairs etc.  They are $28.  Cant find them on WM website but a quick google search brought up people selling them on Ebay for $60.  blach!  I hate when people do that!  Anyways, just thought I would share.  
  • imageLucky*Ducky:
    Not sure if you will see this.  But I was wrong.  The dolls from WM are not Our Generation (Target) they are Friends Boutique by Madame Alexander.   Also forgot to add that these dolls have all sorts of accessories/clothes and even a horse she can really sit on, bed, hair salon chair, bean bag chairs etc.  They are $28.  Cant find them on WM website but a quick google search brought up people selling them on Ebay for $60.  blach!  I hate when people do that!  Anyways, just thought I would share.  

Can you make your pictures a bit bigger?

• Have you checked out waldorf dolls on etsy? Check out: dragonflys hollow, bamboletta, rainbow dolls, petite poire, snicklefritz friends. All handmade with natural materials and SO cute!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DD1 has an Our Generation doll from Target. There's no way in the world that I'd get her an AG one. *Maybe* in a couple of years for Christmas if my mom chips in. Way too expensive! It's a shame because I loved the series when I was little.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • DD has an Bitty Baby. She got it for her first birthday from SIL. She has a million and one outfits to go with the baby. SIL buys them all for her. We are way to cheap to spend more on a doll outfit than we do on DD's outfits. The doll is naked 99% of the time anyway.

We will wait until she is much older and if she asks for a bigger American Girl doll we'll consider it.

IMG_5889 Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I took Liv to AG place it was great. She has a bitty twin. In the store you can buy just one twin. The outfits weren't as expensive as I thought. For leggings, a sweater, shoes and a hat together in a box was about $13
  • We have Kit one of the AG dolls and a bitty baby.  They are cute!  And I loved the experience at the AG store and bistro.  It was a ton of fun.

Not sure if the dolls are worth the $.  They play with them but not that often however they are guarenteed for life.   Maybe DD will get into the craze though ?!?! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Either for her 4th bday for for next Christmas, I think we'll be getting D an AG doll. The biggest seller for me is that the hair doesn't get icky.

• Both of my girls will have a AG doll and a ton of stuff to go with it, we are talking birthday sets, furniture, closets full of clothes the whole shabang. I can say this with total certainty because I already have it all for them, sitting and waiting in the basement.

Of course, they were mine when I was little. I have two, Samantha and Felicity, and look forward to giving them to my girls and seeing them enjoy what I fondly remember. My mom saved it all (my grandmother gave most of it to me to begin with)

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"