Baby Names
Options

Girl's Name: Regina

DH and I have been thinking/disagreeing about girls names for a while now and somehow Regina (family name) got disqualified early. We are revisiting it, though, and I'm wondering what ya'll might think of it. We don't like the nn "Gina", which is a problem I guess... I haven't seen anyone post about this name recently, so I am wonderng if it is the equivalent of Flossie or Dorcas...something monumentally out-of-date.

Nicknames? Possible bullying? Do you like the sound of it?

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Girl's Name: Regina

• Options

My best friend in elementary school was named regina and she was never teased or anything. I always liked her name a lot.

A lot of people did call her Gina though...

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

For me, Regina is very dated to right around the age of my parents. I don't like it at all and don't see it making a comeback anytime soon (although maybe that is what you are going for?).

https://www.babynamewizard.com/name-voyager#prefix=regina&ms=false&exact=false

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Logan David 03.27.08
    Jacob Riley 05.18.09
    {Member since 2007}
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I really dislike that name, there's nothing nice about it. If you feel compelled to use it because it is a family name I'd use it as the middle name.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I think it's a fine name. It's nms, but I think it's much better than another Emerson, Harper, Olivia, etc.
  • Options
    I like a lot of out of date names, but for some reason this one sounds harsh. I don't think there's anything wrong with it as it's a perfectly acceptable name, but very much NMS.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I love it. I don't love the pronunciation we usually use though. I like Regina as in rhymes with vagina, the way a queens name is pronounced (Mary Regina/Elizabeth Regina) as goes with Rex (Henry Rex, James Rex, etc.). 

I also like Dorcas. From everything I have heard and read though, it is actually pronounced "Dorsey" not "Dorkiss". It is in the Crucible, so I kind of read into it a bit.  

• Options
    There was a catholic school in my town called Maria Regina and everyone called it Maria Vagina.
  • Options
    Love Regina and the woman I know with this names goes by Reggie
  • Options
    NMS at all. 
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options

"Raise your hand if you've been personally victimized by Regina George".

(From Mean Girls, the movie).

That's all I think of. 

• Options

I actually sort of like Regina. I think it's a nice name.

I did know a Regina in college, who went by Gina. You could also maybe use Rina or Rena as a nickname?

imageimage

• Options
    Its the name that Phoebe from Friends always used as her fake name. Regina Polanszky. So it has humorous connotations for me. 
    TTC since July 2009 ^Rosemary^ May 7, 2010 Holding my rainbow, Beatrix, since August 21, 2012
  • Options
    I have a friend Regina but we call her Ginny.  I do know she was teased when she was younger about a part of the female anatomy. However she still loves her name. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageb2b999:
    Its the name that Phoebe from Friends always used as her fake name. Regina Polanszky. So it has humorous connotations for me. 

Wasn't it Regina Phlalange?  

• Options
    I like it.  It's not trendy or made up, easy to pronounce, feminine name. I'm surprised at some of the responses you've received.  Go for it if you like it!
  • Options

For me, it's a city in Saskatchewan. I can't wrap my brain around the 'Reh-geena' pronunciation.

It's pretty, though. I like Regan/ Reagan too.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Thanks for the feedback everyone? I think DH and I had similar reactions as many of you. We don't HATE the name, but somehow can't come to love it and imagine a little girl called by it. It was my grandmother's name, but we already have a middle name picked out so maybe next time:)

Back to the drawing board :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My neighbors name is Regina and she said she gets called Vagina all the time at work... 
  • Options
    I like it and I think a nn could be Gigi.............kinda cute!
  • Options

There's a city in our province called Regina. Most people refer to it as "the Vag"

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagekristen230:
    My neighbors name is Regina and she said she gets called Vagina all the time at work... 
    Wow... inappropriate. LOL
  • Options
    I just can't imagine that name on someone younger than 60. Sorry, I do think it's really dated, especially with Gina factored in.
  • Options
    imageMommyNoelle:

"Raise your hand if you've been personally victimized by Regina George".

(From Mean Girls, the movie).

That's all I think of. 

I agree!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"