Pre-School and Daycare
Options

need recommendations for 3yr. old computer toy/games?

So DS turned 3 in Aug. and he goes to preschool.  However, i keep hearing all these moms talking about DS's, mobigo, leapsters etc... My DS doesn't have any of these computerized toys/games but i'd like to look into getting him one for xmas.  He's always wanting to play w/ my laptop etc... so something along those lines and it has to be educational too, not just games.  Any suggestions would be great!!!  thanks!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic 8.15.07 NATHAN 6.13.09 - 6.14.09 WYATT born 32w3d Gone too soon, RIP. 4.21.10 BFP - missed m/c - D&C on 5.27.10. 1.31.11 BFP - 1st cycle IUI + Follistim + Trigger (2 mature follies)Beta 1 @ 13dpiui: 199 Beta 2 @ 15dpiui: 527 10.7.11 ELIANA(Ellie)ROSE (39w3d)Team Green turned Team Pink - VBAC & ALL NATURAL 6lbs 11oz 19 &1/2in

Re: need recommendations for 3yr. old computer toy/games?

• Options

We have the VTech Tote and Go Laptop but I have to admit, I don't really like it.  Annoying music, small screen with poor quality text and images, hard for kids to operate, etc, etc.

We also have the LeapFrog Scribble and Write and it's a big hit around here.  It teaches kids how to write letters and also has a few other play features as well.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageApril37:

We have the VTech Tote and Go Laptop but I have to admit, I don't really like it.  Annoying music, small screen with poor quality text and images, hard for kids to operate, etc, etc.

We also have the LeapFrog Scribble and Write and it's a big hit around here.  It teaches kids how to write letters and also has a few other play features as well.

I saw the leapfrog scribble at BJ's so that's good!  Thanks for the suggestions! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 8.15.07 NATHAN 6.13.09 - 6.14.09 WYATT born 32w3d Gone too soon, RIP. 4.21.10 BFP - missed m/c - D&C on 5.27.10. 1.31.11 BFP - 1st cycle IUI + Follistim + Trigger (2 mature follies)Beta 1 @ 13dpiui: 199 Beta 2 @ 15dpiui: 527 10.7.11 ELIANA(Ellie)ROSE (39w3d)Team Green turned Team Pink - VBAC & ALL NATURAL 6lbs 11oz 19 &1/2in
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

The scribble & write is a great toy. We have the leapfrog explorer & Fisher Price's Computer cool school(needs a pc). I reccommend both. Leapfrog's my own leaptop just came out not too long ago. I don't have that but I read good reviews on it.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagekada626:

The scribble & write is a great toy. We have the leapfrog explorer & Fisher Price's Computer cool school(needs a pc). I reccommend both. Leapfrog's my own leaptop just came out not too long ago. I don't have that but I read good reviews on it.

good to know thanks!

• Options
    well nevermind, my mom just called and told me she got DS the mobigo.  Guess that's taken care of now.  LOL  hopefully he'll like it. 
  • Options

DS1 just got the Mobigo last week for his birthday and he LOVES it :) Its super cool! The screen pushes up and there is a keyboard (which he obviously doesn't use yet!) and the game screen is a touch screen! Some of the games are more difficult than others right now, but there are several that he "gets" and he loves touching the screen to play the games!

He will love it :)

My friend's DD just got one too and she loves it as well!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

If you have an extra laptop you don't mind your son using, I highly rec this website - no ads, multiple languages, interesting for that age.

(It's a free site, so there is a donation request at the beginning, but that's it)

https://www.poissonrouge.com/

Also, Tux Paint is a free download - when the paint/doodloe program is running, it's impossible to click out of it accidentally.

https://www.tuxpaint.org/

Doriimage
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."

Miracle DD born 12.2005
    TTC #2 since Dec 2008 w/ PCOS
    ***P/SAIF Always Welcome***

Keep it Natural, Baby!
  • Options
    imageCMM05:

DS1 just got the Mobigo last week for his birthday and he LOVES it :) Its super cool! The screen pushes up and there is a keyboard (which he obviously doesn't use yet!) and the game screen is a touch screen! Some of the games are more difficult than others right now, but there are several that he "gets" and he loves touching the screen to play the games!

He will love it :)

My friend's DD just got one too and she loves it as well!

Great!!!  thanks!

• Options
    imageJMay:

If you have an extra laptop you don't mind your son using, I highly rec this website - no ads, multiple languages, interesting for that age.

(It's a free site, so there is a donation request at the beginning, but that's it)

https://www.poissonrouge.com/

Also, Tux Paint is a free download - when the paint/doodloe program is running, it's impossible to click out of it accidentally.

https://www.tuxpaint.org/

thanks for this info. i was thinking about going to some sites online for DS so i'll check these out. 

• Options
    My son never got into his laptop we got him, and we have a scribble and write toy that he could take or leave.  I got him a Mobigo a couple of weeks ago and he loves it.  It is very user friendly for little ones, and the games are great.  The one thing I liked about it over the new Fisher Price XL or whatever it is, is that it is very easy for them to put the game in and get it going all by themselves.  The XL just looked like it had too much going on for him to really be able to use it consistently without my help.   I say this because I was looking for a toy primarily for him to use in the car because we have long commutes everyday.
  • Options

imageamazingkel:
    My son never got into his laptop we got him, and we have a scribble and write toy that he could take or leave.  I got him a Mobigo a couple of weeks ago and he loves it.  It is very user friendly for little ones, and the games are great.  The one thing I liked about it over the new Fisher Price XL or whatever it is, is that it is very easy for them to put the game in and get it going all by themselves.  The XL just looked like it had too much going on for him to really be able to use it consistently without my help.   I say this because I was looking for a toy primarily for him to use in the car because we have long commutes everyday.

that's why my mom chose the mobigo too b/c she said it was very user friendly and she got lost on some of the other games she was looking into.  So she figured if she could get confused by the other games DS wouldn't figure them out but the mobigo was very easy to use. 

Thanks for the input.  :o)

• Options
    My DS like pbskids.org. Some games are too advanced, but he likes many of the games.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"