Pre-School and Daycare

Shots at 3yo vs. as an infant

I took ds for his 3 year check up and he got the flu shot.  Wow- he screamed and cried and cried and cried.  And then when dh got home, he spent half the evening telling dh how the doctor "hurt" him by shooting his arm.  I can't believe how much easier it was when he was an infant.  He would cry for 2 seconds and it was over.  I was shocked by how much he dwelled on the shots now that he can communicate.

Of course, he ended up with a 102 fever -just like when he was an infant.  That hasn't changed at all of course!

Anyone else find shots as an infant are so different than as a toddler?

My ds was so excited to go to the doctor- I don't think it will be that way next time!

3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Shots at 3yo vs. as an infant

• I don't recall his 3 y/o shots being that bad but his 4 y/o ones were. Now everytime we go to the dr. office he asks if he will be getting a shot. Last time we went was for ds#2 check up and he was afraid he would get a shot until I explained to him that this check up was for his brother not him. He did end up getting the flu mist though but he didn't seem to mind that. I'm glad they had it otherwise he would have gotten a shot :(
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • OMG - yes!  My 3.5 year olds had their flu shots a couple of weeks ago.  I told them what to expect before we left the house so it wouldn't be a surprise.  They both kicked and screamed and were pissed about it!  The nurse had me hold their legs with my legs and I hugged them from behind to control their arms.  She seemedto think this was normal for the age.

Andrew didn't speak to me for about half an hour afterwards.  And Nicholas was like your LO, all pitiful when recounting the tale for DH.

The baby on the other hand, cried for about 5 seconds then was fine. 

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Loading the player...
  • OMG.....its 100% times worse.

DS1 just had his 3 year check-up yesterday and he had to get 2 shots (the Prevnar booster and his flu shot...). We had to literally restrain him and I think people could hear him screaming a mile away! Then, he whined and complained about his legs all day and all night.

This is another reason why I would NEVER delay vaccines. I cannot imagine going through all of those vaccines when they are older.......much easier as an infant!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageCMM05:

This is another reason why I would NEVER delay vaccines. I cannot imagine going through all of those vaccines when they are older.......much easier as an infant!

LOL- that is a really good point!

3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
    IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• Next time try the flu mist instead of the shot. DD doesnt mind it at all.
  • Griffin has always been pretty good about shots.... as a baby he'd cry for 20 seconds (that's what the twins do, too)... and then be fine.

He had 2 shots yesterday at his 3.5y/o well visit - and he didn't cry until right when he got the 1st shot- b/c it hurt... and stopped crying about 20 seconds after the 2nd one was done... he complained that it hurt for about  5more minutes, then said "hey mommy- it stopped hurting!" a few minutes later.

He's good about them- he knows they only hurt a little bit.  I tell him about it on the way to the doc- not before.... and i remind him that "it might hurt a little bit- but only for a minute - remember?" and he's good about understanding that and trusting me.

He has been there when I have received my flu shots- and holds my hand and I react by saying "Ouch- that hurt - but just a little!" and then smile... so he knows that I agree- shots suck and hurt- but only for a minute.

sadly- the pneumonia shot he got yesterday is still hurting - like a bruise on his arm (it did that to me last year) so he's reminded me a few times since last night that it hurts when he bumps it... but he's still OK with it.

• Our Ped nurse gave her shot in her thigh just like when she was a baby so I used my arm to block her view to it (while holding down her arms).  I just talked to her and had her look in my eyes and told her she'd feel a pinch but it'd be over quick.  She teared up and cried just a bit but it wasn't overly traumatic this year.  Maybe it hurts worse in the arm?  My neighbor (adult) has had hers this year and said it hurt worse than normal for some reason this year.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

DD1, Kathleen 9/15/2007

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"