Babies: 3 - 6 Months

formula question (flameful? we'll see...)

So maybe this should be categorized under fffc, but wanted comments/opinions so I'm just gonna throw it out there...(no pun intended)...

Formula feeders, do you REALLY throw away the remaining bottle after LO has drank from it (says on the packaging to either use within 1 hr of being used or thrown away).

Sometimes I make 4 oz., he takes a swig or two, falls asleep, and you'd better believe I stick that remaining 3.75 oz. in the fridge to use the next time. Although I only started this recently. Just seems like the formula companies' way of making you use more. Why would formula become bacteria infested from the baby's mouth germs but not breast milk?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: formula question (flameful? we'll see...)

• I don't know why bacteria from DS's mouth would hurt the formula, but I don't want to find out-I always throw out the rest if it's been more than an hour

View Full Size Image 
    View Full Size Image View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I think BM you should throw out too after you use it. I think its like backwash from the germs. I dunno, I don't take any chances with these things.

Its funny you say that about the formula companies wanting to make more $. My SIL use to give both her DS 1/2 cup of formula to make an odd # of oz and when I told her that the formula companies say not to, she goes "of course, its their way to make more $, they want you to use the full cup" perhaps, but I don't take any chances with these things!

• Loading the player...
  • I always throw it out. Usually it's only an ounce or two.
  • I don't know, the rule was always an hour with bottled BM, too.  When Logan took a bottle, I never wanted to throw out any remaining BM that was in there, but after an hour I did.  It was never worth the risk for me. 
  • if its been sitting out a while (which usually doesnt happen), i will throw it out. but if dd falls asleep or just doesnt want it, i will put the remainder in the fridge for next time. 

• I don't throw it out if he is going to bed, falls asleep eating but still has 4 ounces in his bottle.

But I don't save it anymore because it was too much of a hassle to try and heat up a freezing cold bottle when my LO refuses even room temp bottles.

As for the hour limit... I generally stick to that.

And to Jaclyn, that's actually not good for the baby. Constantly going against the amounts of formula per ounces of water excessively can potentally cause water intoxication in babies. Formula is expensive, and I'm not saying that formula companies don't want the most money they can get out of it, but there's an actual reason for the mixing instructions.

• imageboomersooner9779:

if its been sitting out a while (which usually doesnt happen), i will throw it out. but if dd falls asleep or just doesnt want it, i will put the remainder in the fridge for next time. 

This.  Do you have any idea how much formula I would waste if I didn't???  Think about it...if you drink from a soda bottle do you throw it away if you don't finish it in an hour?  Seems like the same thing to me. 

Photobucket

Bar tab = $156,000, Bus to Foxwoods = $0, Puking in the Stanley Cup = Priceless

• I go through a ton of formula because I always throw out whatever he hasn't finished after an hour. I don't want to chance what could happen if I gave him an expired bottle. My DS got salmonella posioning when he was 2 months old from something, still no idea exactly what it was from, and it was one of the scariest things I've been through in my life. I wont risk anything happening to him.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageemily0829:

I don't throw it out if he is going to bed, falls asleep eating but still has 4 ounces in his bottle.

But I don't save it anymore because it was too much of a hassle to try and heat up a freezing cold bottle when my LO refuses even room temp bottles.

And to Jaclyn, that's actually not good for the baby. Constantly going against the amounts of formula per ounces of water excessively can potentally cause water intoxication in babies. Formula is expensive, and I'm not saying that formula companies don't want the most money they can get out of it, but there's an actual reason for the mixing instructions.

I agree...I don't give the 1/2 cup of formula to DD b/c they said not to. My SIL use to do it and thought it was fine. I rather waste and oz and it is correct, than to save an oz.

• imageemily0829:

I don't throw it out if he is going to bed, falls asleep eating but still has 4 ounces in his bottle.

I had to read Jaclyn's a second time to understand, but I think she meant when making, say, 3 oz or 5 oz instead of 2 (1 scoop) or 4 (2 scoops). So it'd be 1.5 scoops to make 3 oz. of formula.  

• I'm not sure why formula would grow bacteria so quickly (3-4 hours in the fridge). Maybe it's a liability issue??

BM doesnt grow bacteria b/c it has antibacterial properties.  You can have fresh bm on the counter (room temp) for 8 hours and in the fridge for 5 days or so.  You can also reheat it once before throwing it out. 

• imagejeune_mariee:

So maybe this should be categorized under fffc, but wanted comments/opinions so I'm just gonna throw it out there...(no pun intended)...

Formula feeders, do you REALLY throw away the remaining bottle after LO has drank from it (says on the packaging to either use within 1 hr of being used or thrown away).

Sometimes I make 4 oz., he takes a swig or two, falls asleep, and you'd better believe I stick that remaining 3.75 oz. in the fridge to use the next time. Although I only started this recently. Just seems like the formula companies' way of making you use more. Why would formula become bacteria infested from the baby's mouth germs but not breast milk?

I do this too, and I'm not worried. We mostly BF, but DS usually gets his one nightly formula bottle just before bed. Sometimes he'll take a sip or two and want the boob instead, and then I'll stick the bottle right in the fridge to use the next night (but if he doesn't want it for the next night either, I'll toss it).

• imageemily0829:

I don't think that's what she was saying.  I think she means using a scoop and a half to make 3 oz instead of using an even number of scoops.  I've never heard that you're not supposed to use 1/2 a scoop though. 

Photobucket

• imageJaclyn278:
    imageemily0829:

I agree...I don't give the 1/2 cup of formula to DD b/c they said not to. My SIL use to do it and thought it was fine. I rather waste and oz and it is correct, than to save an oz.

They're also not getting the proper nutrition this way either. She's basically cutting in half whatever the calories the baby needs according to the package. That makes sense in my head, but I don't know if it does the way I typed it LOL.

ETA: Ok I think I read the whole thing wrong now looking back. You can ignore what I say :). Its been a looooong day.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagejeune_mariee:
    imageemily0829:

I had to read Jaclyn's a second time to understand, but I think she meant when making, say, 3 oz or 5 oz instead of 2 (1 scoop) or 4 (2 scoops). So it'd be 1.5 scoops to make 3 oz. of formula.  

Oh! I get it now. I was thinking "odd number of oz" = 1 scoop (for ex) for 3 ounces of water, or something like that. "odd" being weird, not "odd" being a non even number! haha.... *gracefully hides in corner*

Sorry Jaclyn!

• Oh, I always keep it.  Flame away!  Most of the time I'll put it in the fridge, but sometimes at night I just leave it on the counter so I don't have to mess with re-heating. 

Neosure ain't cheap, people.

• imageJaclyn278:
    imageemily0829:

How is this possibly not ok???  The scoop is completely arbitrary.  As long as the powder to water ratio is correct it's fine. 

Photobucket

• imagejeune_mariee:

Because breastmilk has antibodies to kill bacteria and formula doesn't.  If you leave breastmilk sitting out at room temperature, even for several days, it will have LESS bacteria in it than it did when it was freshly pumped.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageDreamsicle23:
    imageboomersooner9779:

if its been sitting out a while (which usually doesnt happen), i will throw it out. but if dd falls asleep or just doesnt want it, i will put the remainder in the fridge for next time. 

This.  Do you have any idea how much formula I would waste if I didn't???  Think about it...if you drink from a soda bottle do you throw it away if you don't finish it in an hour?  Seems like the same thing to me. 

This exactly.  I won't keep it longer than 12-18 hours... but sorry, if I make 8 oz and he decides he only want 2.. NOT wasting it!

As for making odd # of oz.. I do it in almost every single bottle (DS is taking 7oz most feedings) and never had an issue.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers M: 31 DH: 34 Dx: PCOS, Endo, Uterine Septum Ovarian Wedge Resection - May 2009 BFP #1 - October 2009 = DS BFP #2 - June 2011 = DD (Total Surprise!) Tree nut allergy in DS diagnosed 4/2012. Currently working with EI for SPD and possible ASD.
  • imageDreamsicle23:
    imageJaclyn278:
    imageemily0829:

How is this possibly not ok???  The scoop is completely arbitrary.  As long as the powder to water ratio is correct it's fine. 

Similac specifically advised me not to use 1/2 scoops b/c you can't gauge 1/2 scoop correctly. They don't recommend it. If, for example, you were making 7oz, they suggest making 14oz and then just making two bottles and saving the one in the fridge.

Nevertheless, DD eats 8oz, so I don't need to worry about this!

• I was super anal about this with DS1 when he started getting formula.  If his lips touched the bottle, anything remaining after an hour was thrown out.  I'm a little more lax with DS2 though - I'll stretch it to 2 hours maybe...  If I heat a bottle and he falls asleep before drinking it, I'll refrigerate that for later use.  I know DC is very strict about the 1 hour rule.
  • We asked our pedi about saving left over and he said to treat it the same as regular milk. If it sits out for close to an hr (which never happens) we will toss it.

We make odd oz bottles also without any issues.

• If my LOs don't finish a bottle, I almost ALWAYS put it back in the fridge.  Formula is not cheap, and its especially not cheap for two.  I feel like as long as you use common sense and the formula hasn't been sitting out for hours and hours it's fine.  I'm not going to waste all that money because DS decided he only wanted 2oz of his 6oz bottle.  If it has been over 24 hours in the fridge though, I will dump it. 
  • my formula says 2 hours. (soy) and it's rare that LO doesn't have it all within 2 hours, but if it goes over the 2 hours... down the drain it goes...
    Taylor Leanne Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
  • For us, it really depends. If she *barely* drank anything from the 4oz bottle, I'll put it in the fridge and reheat it for later.

If she drinks at least 2oz then I'll pitch the rest after the hour is up.

We use Enfamil and I could have sworn it says to use within 2 hours? We never wait that long anyway, but I thought I've read that before. I could be wrong.

• I also will stick it in the fridge.  It almost always is used within the next couple hours anyway.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

My Blogs

https://littlebirdconfections.wordpress.com/

https://heismightyquinn.wordpress.com/

• I love this question!   lol

With Olivia (my first) if her lips touched the bottle and she didn't finish it - I'd throw it out.

Now.........If Dominic drinks only an once (sometimes two), I put it back in the fridge.    This is my third and I'm definitely more lax about some things...... 

eta:  I am anal about formula sitting out and/or being in the fridge - I follow those rules very carefully.   But, if only drinks an oz. out of the bottle - it's going back in the fridge.   

I wouldn't mess with formula/water ratios.     I usually mix it in a pitcher and then pour into bottles.

• DH put the kabash on the whole throwing it away thing.  We've been nursing the same bottle for about 3 hrs with no probs and no refrigeration. He says it takes a lot longer for something to grow than one hour and bacteria is his line of work so I trust him.
  • Yes, I toss it, and we use Neocate so it's not cheap.  I'm not a germophobe but I think this is a silly thing to risk.
  • I always make 3 ounces and use one and a half scoops, I never knew that was wrong? That's what you are talking about?
  • imageLJR 84:

We use Enfamil and I could have sworn it says to use within 2 hours? We never wait that long anyway, but I thought I've read that before. I could be wrong.

Enfamil does say that on the back.

But back to the original question, our pedi actually was the one who told us to put that bad boy in the fridge.  If there is a time he doesn't drink all his bottle, I stick it in the fridge.  He'll usually drink it no matter what temp it is.  

It makes sense that it would be ok since its cold and bacteria generally doesn't grow as well.  Thats the rationale for cold OR's anyways.  

• imageJaclyn278:
    imageDreamsicle23:
    imageJaclyn278:
    imageemily0829:

Similac specifically advised me not to use 1/2 scoops b/c you can't gauge 1/2 scoop correctly. They don't recommend it. If, for example, you were making 7oz, they suggest making 14oz and then just making two bottles and saving the one in the fridge.

Nevertheless, DD eats 8oz, so I don't need to worry about this!

So i guess Similac is okay with having formula made and in the fridge?  I keep any remainder as long as it is more than 1 ounce.  If it is less than 1 I throw it out.

• I will keep it if its only been 1.5 hours or 2 but i won't keep it any longer then that
  • Its not the bacteria- if spit gets into the bottle (which there's really not a definite way of knowing) the spit starts to break down the enzymes of the formula, and starts to take away from its nutrition.

If the bottle was in the child's mouth, it should be tossed after an hour. If they drank from it and didn't finish and you refrigerate it right away, you can save it for two hours, but shouldn't heat it (cold will stop bacteria from growing, but warming it could potentially cause and I guess "unkilled" bacteria to grow) If it was made and they didn't drink from it, it can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours.

Its late so if that doesn't make sense, oops. But those are the guidlines of the state for licensing our daycare center.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"