South Florida Babies

Scheduled Csection moms - please come in

Quick question - Reading some responses on another forum got me wondering... if you go in to hospital for a scheduled csection, after delivery (like the day or 2 afterwards) do they still check you vaginally?  If so, what for?
-- Jackie
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Scheduled Csection moms - please come in

• We don't do internal vaginal exams postpartum for anybody. But we do palpate your uterus while simultaniously checking to see your vaginal bleeding. The nurse really is only looking down there to check your bleeding or if you delivered vaginally she would be checking your episiotomy.
  • hmm, I didn't make it to my schedule c-section because my water broke...so they just did a test to see if what I was "leaking" was actually amniotic fluid (as supposed to pee or who knows!.  They also checked to see if I was dilated at all (which I wasn't).  They never checked me vaginally after that...the Dr just came to look at my incision from the c-section.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I was never checked vaginally after my c-section. They did as PP mentioned, palpated (pushed on) my uterus and watched the blood come out (I guess to see how much came out, etc. (sorry, TMI)
    Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Okay, thanks!  They were discussing hospital waredrobe, and someone mentioned that pants weren't recommended b/c of the amount of checking they do... that having to take them off so often would be annoying.  I guess it isn't a huge deal.  Thanks.
    -- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • oh...the only reason why I wouldn't recommend pants in because you will be in pain from the surgery and any additional movements you have to do those first couple of days (like when you go pee) will hurt like hell...

I also don't know if the area of the incision will be too tender for pants..

So I would get something with easy access! I don't know that I could have bent down to put/pull my pants while I was at the hospital!

• I'd stay away from pants because you will have a catheter for a bit, you might not want anything on your belly and you want to be as comfortable as possible.  I wore a nightgown for most of my stay and switched to dresses at the end.  I can't believe your big day is almost here!!!
  • imageRoseWhite:

oh...the only reason why I wouldn't recommend pants in because you will be in pain from the surgery and any additional movements you have to do those first couple of days (like when you go pee) will hurt like hell...

I also don't know if the area of the incision will be too tender for pants..

So I would get something with easy access! I don't know that I could have bent down to put/pull my pants while I was at the hospital!

I was fine with loose, cotton-knit pajama pants! I had a sanitary pad covering my incision so that helped keep the elastic band of my incision. Plus my incision was low, so the elastic was above it. I plan on buying a pant set again for this baby, esp being in december, in case it's chilly

Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • hehe, maybe I'm just a cry baby then :)

I know I couldn't bend if my life depended on it so I'm happy I didn't go with pants...but everyone is different :) 

• imageSnshine:
    I'd stay away from pants because you will have a catheter for a bit, you might not want anything on your belly and you want to be as comfortable as possible.  I wore a nightgown for most of my stay and switched to dresses at the end.  I can't believe your big day is almost here!!!

this was me too! 

• The pants I got are SUPER soft w/out elastic (drawstring).  I figured if they bother, I can just stay in the hospital gown, but would like the option of having something to change into if I'm up to.

-- Jackie
  • imageRNjack:
    We don't do internal vaginal exams postpartum for anybody. But we do palpate your uterus while simultaniously checking to see your vaginal bleeding. The nurse really is only looking down there to check your bleeding or if you delivered vaginally she would be checking your episiotomy.

They did that for me but that's it. They didn't check bleeding or my episiotomy at all...ever.

My friend who had a c-section 2 weeks before I gave birth they just checked the incision and her ute. It was minimally invasive and very fast :)

TTC #1 May/June 2008
    CP 7.19.08
    Dx with PCOS 3.27.09
    HSG 7.15.09 = All clear
    8.09 & 9.09(re-try) IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel=cancelled due to cysts
    10.09 IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel Crinone 8%=BFP!
    22mm Follie / 60mil & 48mil post wash counts Beta #1 (14dpiui)= 102 Beta #2 (18dpiui)= 714 12.3.09 HB 135bpm

Our baby boy was born on 7.8.10 @ 38 weeks 2 days! 2:17pm 6lbs 8oz 20" long
    TTC #2
    HSG 2.2013 - IUI 1/2, 3/4 = BFN - Took 4 month forced break
    IUI 5/6 Clomid 150mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel ( 11 & 15 mil post wash counts) = 2ww
  • The first night, the check you a lot and you will most likely have a catheter in until you are ready to get up and walk, after that I wore pants, for all three of my csections. I bought nice comfy drawstring pants.
  • I didn't get an internal, but the nurses came in and cleaned down there a few times the day of my surgery and the next day, I'm guessing because I was hooked up to the IV and catheter and couldn't get up to take a shower. Once I was able to walk around, they didn't go near the area.

Editing to add in that after they unhooked the catheter I wore a lounge outfit during the day and pajamas with pants at night and I was very comfortable.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"