3rd Trimester
Options

low platelet levels and prednisone

Has anyone else been put on prednisone to raise their blood platelet counts?? and if so did it help raise your levels??

Thanks

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: low platelet levels and prednisone

• Options

I will be starting prednisone in a couple weeks to try to get my platelet count up to a level that will be safe for an epidural and/or spinal anesthesia.  My platelet count was 55 as of today and the anesthesiologists require at least a count of 80 for an epidural, and depending who is on call, some of them require a count of 100.  I really, really hope that prednisone will get my counts high enough.  My concern is less about the epidural and more about if I need a c-section.  Yes, it would be nice to have the option of an epidural for labor, but I really, really, really don't want to be under general anesthesia if I need a c-section.

Why do you have low platelets?  I have ITP (was diagnosed a few years ago) and prednisone is the first treatment they try for ITP.  I haven't seen any other ITP ladies on here so I was just curious.  There are a few people with gestational thrombocytopenia who have posted though.

I know that prednisone is pretty effective at raising platelet levels in most people, but it does depend what is causing your platelet count to be low.  How low are your counts right now?  Hopefully they can get them up where they need to be!  Good luck!

Married to DH since 6/30/2007
    Me: 32  DH: 32
    BFP #1: 4/1/2010 DS born: 12/3/10
    TTC #2 since 5/2014
    BFP # 2 : 6/16/14 EDD: 2/25/15  Missed Miscarriage discovered 7/10/14 D&C 7/17/14 Pathology results normal
    BFP #3
    : 10/21/14 EDD: 7/6/15  11/24/14:  Saw heartbeat! 
    Missed Miscarriage discovered 12/22/14 at 12w0d D&C 12/23/14 Pathology: Partial Molar Pregnancy/Triploidy
    ~~Currently benched following PMP~~ 
    **all AL welcome**

image image
    TTCAL January 2015 Siggy Challenge:  Animals in the snow
    Scumbag Penguin

• Options
    I'm not exactly sure why my levels are low, I believe it's gestational because the blood work done early on in my pregnancy was 184.  When I did my GTT they were down to 140, so I was sent every few weeks for blood work and last I was told they were at 79.  I've been on the prednisone for about  a week, just went for bloodwork this past Tuesday and have my doc appointment tomorrow so I will find out them if they went up or not. I was just curious how prednisone has helped or not helped others.  I'm only on 5mg/day right now, if they haven't gone up or not as much as they need to I'm sure they will up my dosage to 10mg/day.  I'm not sure I want an epidural anyways but like you said it would be nice to have the option.  I told my husband if i need a c-section he can't tell anyone the sex of our baby until after I wake up from the anesthia.  I will be so mad if anyone besides him and the doctors know before me!!!!! Although I'm sure once I hold my little one I would be anything but happy!!! Thanks for the luck and good luck to you as well!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

5mg/day sounds like a really low dose to me. Usually I think the typical dose is 50-100mg a day to raise your platelet counts (1mg/kg of your body weight), but they might be wanting to start with a lower dose to see if it works.

Did your OB prescribe the prednisone or did they send you to a hematologist?  If you have time, and you haven't seen a hematologist yet, you might want to do so.  They are much more experienced with blood disorders and platelet levels and know more about different treatment options out there (especially if the prednisone doesn't work).

The good thing is that 79 is a very safe level.  But obviously getting them high enough for an epidural and to avoid general anesthesia is even better!

Married to DH since 6/30/2007
    Me: 32  DH: 32
    BFP #1: 4/1/2010 DS born: 12/3/10
    TTC #2 since 5/2014
    BFP # 2 : 6/16/14 EDD: 2/25/15  Missed Miscarriage discovered 7/10/14 D&C 7/17/14 Pathology results normal
    BFP #3
    : 10/21/14 EDD: 7/6/15  11/24/14:  Saw heartbeat! 
    Missed Miscarriage discovered 12/22/14 at 12w0d D&C 12/23/14 Pathology: Partial Molar Pregnancy/Triploidy
    ~~Currently benched following PMP~~ 
    **all AL welcome**

image image
    TTCAL January 2015 Siggy Challenge:  Animals in the snow
    Scumbag Penguin

• Options

I'm lurking from 3-6.  With my last pg, I was monitored for low platelets the entire pg - they slowly dropped throughout the 9 months. I also found out that I had low platelets with my 1st pg, although there weren't too low that I couldn't get an epidural - it wasn't an issue for me. 

They determined that the low platelets were not the result of ITP - it was most likely gestational.  At around 37-38 weeks when my levels were 95, I was put on a round of steroids (I don't remember the name though) and by the next week, they were up to over 100.  However, I was told by another doctor that platelet levels fluctuate during the day and that steroids weren't necessarily the reason for the uptick. 

I ended up being induced at 39 weeks and my levels in the hospital were just below 100 - I believe 90 or 95.  My doctor called the anesthesiologist down to talk to me (before I was in any pain - he said that once they start giving me fluids, my levels will drop and that if I want an epidural I needed to do it ASAP) and it was up to his discretion whether I could get an epidural.  He was comfortable giving me one at that level and I ended up getting one.

On a side note, I had postpartum blood work to check my levels and they were back up to 150.

• Options
    My OB prescribed them.  Hopefully tomorrow at my appointment if things arent' getting better we can discuss a plan, although being this far along I'm not sure how much more can be done.  This little one can come at anytime!
  • Options
    I did with my last pregnancy, and probably will this time too.  It's a steroid so it has some weird side effects, but for me (and maybe this is common) they put me on it only for about the last 12 days of my pregnancy.  It did raise my levels, apparently, because I was able to get an epi, which I wouldn't have been able to get if my levels didn't go up.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thanks for your replies!!  My doctor really hasn't said much to me other than I won't be able to have an epidural if they don't go up, which is scary and not at the same time.  In my head I'm thinking why is this happening and what can I do about it and on the other hand if the Dr isn't concerned why should I be.  It's comforting to hear that I'm not the only one going through this!!!  Now I can only hope my little boy/girl stays in long enough to get my levels up so we can have a complication free delivery!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"