Philadelphia Babies

Moving to Philly and have questions!

Hello ladies,

DH is being relocated to Philly from Atlanta, and I would like your input on where we should look for a place to live. We only know th city as tourists, so it's hard for us to know which areas to look into, and which to avoid.

We will be in Philly next week, and I would like to line up as many showings as possible, as the plan is for us to move the last weekend of the month! Unfortunately, rental companies are not being very responsive...

We would like to rent for a year, so we can know the city better, before buying. We would need enough space for 2 adults, 1 toddler and 2 large dogs. Ideally, we'd like to be in the middle of "everything", and have a playground nearby.

Which areas would you ladies recommend? Do you know of any *good* rental agencies?

I'm also looking forward to the answers to Stacy's post re: things to do in the city with a toddler :)

Thanks in advance

Re: Moving to Philly and have questions!

• Do you want to be 'in' the city?
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Ideally, yes. But we're open to suggestions if they would fit our family needs better.
  • Loading the player...
  • A good neighborhood for you might be Fitler Square.  There is a great playground, a dog park, and there's access to a multi-use path right along the river.

We rented in this neighborhood for 2 years and then bought a house.

I find craigslist is a good place for Philly rentals.  Also, if you just walk around the neighborhoods, you'll see for rent signs.  I don't have a particular realtor or agency to recommend.

Good luck with your search.

• If you're looking into a more quiet family neighborhood, you may want to look into far northeast philly (i.e. somerton area) or even bucks county, huntington valley area. Check out www.rent.com or craigslist.

Good luck

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would suggest anywhere along the mainline.  It is a super easy commute via train to the city, but it is more family friendly.

There are also great towns with shops and restaurants, so you feel like you are in the thick of it without having to deal with city noise, traffic, etc. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Outside of the city- Narberth would be awesome.  I would definitely look in the Main Line Times or on craigslist.  It is only a 20 minute train ride to city with a cute little main street, great park and more.  It is a great town.  Other surround towns on the main line would be good too- Wynnewood, Merion, Ardmore (certain sections), Havertown. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree w/pp about the main line--I grew up in Havertown. I also think Narberth is a great suggestion. Another area within city limits that is nice is Chestnut Hill. Safe, family-friendly, cute and busy main street, and lots of kids. I have no suggestions for rental places. GL and I hope you like it here! :-)
  • We just moved into the St. James in the Washington Square West neighborhood.  Lots of kids in the building, indoor pool, across the street from a lovely park.  
  • While the main line and immediate philly suburbs are great, they are not the city.  If you want to live in the city, ditto pp about Washington Square, that is my fave city neighborhood and there are tons of parents of young children around

I lived in Northern Liberties and loved it before we had kids.  We have since moved to Havertown, which is a great suburb

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • We live on the Main Line and love it.  We used to live in the city (pre-kids) and it's just so much easier in the burbs with parking and having  a dog.  20 mins train ride into the city, and it takes about the same driving.
  • We live on the Main Line and love it.  We used to live in the city (without kids) and it's just so much easier in the burbs with parking and having  a dog.  20 mins train ride into the city, and it takes about the same driving.
  • I live on the Main Line, Narberth area and love it. Close to everything, easy access to trains heading into the city and close to Lankenau hospital where I will be delivering. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

• QUEENS VILLAGE
    NORTHERN LIBERTIES-(THERE ARE GREAT PARKS, LIBERTY LANDS, AND PENN TREATY PARK)
    FISHTOWN
    RITTENHOUSE SQUARE
    OLDE CITY

I HAVE LIVED AND WORKED IN ALL. GREAT NEIGHBORHOODS. REALLY DEPENDS WHAT SORT OF CROWD YOU WANT THEY ARE ALL DIFFERENT. LOTS OF YOUNG FAMILIES IN NORTHERN LIBS/FISHTOWN . WOULD ALSO DEPEND ON YOUR PRICE RANGE-CENTER CITY AND WASHINGTON SQUARE CAN BE PRICEY.

SORRY FOR CAPS ON MY PHONE AND SHIFT IS LOCKED ON FOR SOME REASON. !!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"