School-Aged Children
Options

School-ager complaining of stomach aches or other ailment...

My daughter has been a daycare kid since 13 weeks old.  She started Kindergarten this year.  Right around that time of school starting she began complaining periodically of stomach aches at home.  It was always at different times of day, sometimes while playing and other times when just relaxing.  We took her to the doctor after a few weeks of her complaints and discussed it with the dr.  They just felt around and asked questions (didn't do an xray or take blood, etc.).  They said it was probably nerves with starting a new school in which her daycare friends would not be going, and with having a new baby brother on the way... just all the changes happening in her life.  She has always been so out-going and not one of the shy/clingy kids, so this has been a challenge for us to see her acting this way.  Anyone else have experience with this? 

Re: School-ager complaining of stomach aches or other ailment...

• Options

I haven't experienced this with either of my kids particularly, but I know a few other moms IRL who have gone through this with their kids.

My son's best friend has been having to pee a lot more frequently than he normally would since the week before kindergarten started.  They've done every test on him they can find, and there's no physical reason why he has to go to the bathroom so much!  His mom said the doctor is just chalking it up to the adjustment to full day school.

I have a friend whose daughter has stomach pain/upset at the beginning of every school year.  She's in 9th grade and it's been happening since kindergarten.  It's worse on years when she starts a new school (like 6th and 9th).

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    Is she pooping regularly?  Maybe the new schedule has her body messed up and she's constipated?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My son was complaining for almost 2 weeks of a stomach ache. His pediatrician had him get some x-rays as well but before we left the office he did a swab for strep throat. It came back positive. He said that it can present itself in the form of a stomach ache but we did the x-rays the same day before we got the results back a few days later on the swab test. 

Nerve wise, we had no clue that our son had any type of anxiety until he began playing soccer Spring of his Kindergarten year.  He would get so nervous he'd vomit and/or gag. :(  He's playing t-ball this year and his first game he did the same thing. But now he's gotten to the point where he can say to himself "I'm nervous but it's just a game. It's nothing scary, it'll be fun." We just reassured him there was nothing to be afraid of or nervous about.  

ETA: My son showed NO sign of strep, aside from stomach pain.  

• Options

imageali-1411:
    Is she pooping regularly?  Maybe the new schedule has her body messed up and she's constipated?

Ditto. My oldest son started kindergarten this year, and he had stomach aches for the first few weeks. Then, as he "reset" his schedule, the tummy problems vanished.

• Options
    imageblueshirt2003:

My son was complaining for almost 2 weeks of a stomach ache. His pediatrician had him get some x-rays as well but before we left the office he did a swab for strep throat. It came back positive. He said that it can present itself in the form of a stomach ache but we did the x-rays the same day before we got the results back a few days later on the swab test. 

Nerve wise, we had no clue that our son had any type of anxiety until he began playing soccer Spring of his Kindergarten year.  He would get so nervous he'd vomit and/or gag. :(  He's playing t-ball this year and his first game he did the same thing. But now he's gotten to the point where he can say to himself "I'm nervous but it's just a game. It's nothing scary, it'll be fun." We just reassured him there was nothing to be afraid of or nervous about.  

ETA: My son showed NO sign of strep, aside from stomach pain.  

When DS was around 1 1/2 or 2 years old, he had what I thought was a diaper rash and was having trouble passing BMs. I took him to the doctor and it was actually strep. The virus had settled and presented in his anus rather than his throat. I had never heard of this before!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"