Pre-School and Daycare

allergy help

Both DD and DS have allergies, thanks to basically everyone in the family!  They are both on Claritin per pedi.  Problem is at night they have such posst nasal drip that they cough so much in their sleep and wake themselves up.  They both sleep with pillows, sometimes DS even requests 2 pillows.  I have the humidifier running also.  I don't know what else to do to help them not cough so much and sleep better....any ideas??

Re: allergy help

• I wish I knew!  Eva has been up coughing and crying every 30 minutes the last few nights.  We have a humidifier and she sleeps on her belly.  I hope someone has some ideas!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Just spoke with the pedi nurse this morning because we have been dealing with a nasty cough for weeks. Besides the humidifier, she told me to use a saline spray in his nose at least a couple times a day to flush the allergens out, and keep his nose as clear as possible (by having him blow it or using and aspirator - we've been doing both). Also, she said to change his clothes if he's been playing outside before he heads into his room so that the pollens don't get all over his things. Up until now, I've been doing everything she suggested except changing his clothes, so we'll see if that does anything. Oh, and the only thing to do give him to help the cough is liquids. Keeping him hydrated is supposed to lighten up the post nasal drip.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am rarely on here but I can help! I am actually a licensed nurse for an allergist and my DS has pretty bad allergies. Get allergy covers for LO pillows and mattresses (you can buy them at Target, BB&B, Ross, etc), also try and wash their bedding every 1-2 weeks in HOT water. You can toss any stuffed animals, pillows, curtains, etc in the dryer on a HOT cycle. I had DS on Claritin daily and have switched him to Zyrtec 1tsp daily, its a little stronger.  I had DS allergy tested and found out specifically what he is allergic to and that helps to try and eliminate his symptoms.

Hope this helps! GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"