Parenting
Options

Would you be too embarrassed to let your child wear this?

So I made the helmet last night.  It is... not good.  I cannot effing sew to save my life.

I literally worked on it all night so I am torn between letting him wear it anyway, and cutting my losses.  He'd go helmetless, because no way are we shelling out anymore $ after what we paid for the jersey (which is prof, thank goodness).  I might let him wear it Halloween night b/c it will be dark or use it as a ToT bag, but maybe not at the school's Fall festival and other events in broad daylight. H thinks it looks "great" because he would.

WDYT?  Honestly?

I don't think it's too bad from the side but the front is just way boxy; I think I can fix the crookedness.  I don't mind that it looks homemade... I just didn't want it to look BADLY homemade.    In my defense, the last picture shows a commercial costume, which I don't think fares much better.

Re: Would you be too embarrassed to let your child wear this?

• Options
    EMTEMT member
    I think it's great. I love that it looks a bit homemade. Doesn't look like a generic store bought costume.
  • Options
    Absolutely would let him wear this.  A for effort has to mean something, right?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I think it's cute! I'd totally let him wear it and your DS is adorable.

• Options
    I think it looks pretty darn great and I wouldn't hesitate to let my child wear it to all of the events... even in broad daylight! 
  • Options
    Another vote for yes. You did a great job!
  • Options
    I'm with everyone else - I think it looks great!  And he looks so happy, let him wear it.
  • Options
    SUPER cute! Not embarrassing at all
    Stay at Home Mama to 3 Beautiful Children by the miracles of Birth & Adoption
  • Options
    I think it looks awesome.  From the front it is a little off but from the side it looks great.  I would totally let him wear it and let him be proud!
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Options
    Late but it's fine & a much better job than I would have done. I attempted to make a costume once. Epic fail. He looks so happy in it with his cute self. :-)

• Options
    I think it's adorable.
    Kill all my demons and my angels might die too. -Tennessee Williams

You take my ovaries, I take your yarns.
  • Options
    I LOVE it!! You did a great job, you should be proud!!
  • Options
    Yes, have him wear it!  The side ATM logo looks awesome.  Fix the crooked part in front and it will be good.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options

I think it looks great! Sew some wiring into the seams so you can "mold" it into a more curve shape. Then sew a small wire over the crown of the helmet so it makes it more ball shape. Does that make sense?

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Katie: 1/16/08 2lbs. 15oz.
    Abby & Emily: 12/31/10 6lbs. 2oz. & 5lbs. 7oz.
  • Options
    imageIAM4UK:

I think it looks great! Sew some wiring into the seams so you can "mold" it into a more curve shape. Then sew a small wire over the crown of the helmet so it makes it more ball shape. Does that make sense?

Thanks for the advice; would that involve taking it apart?  I cannot emphasize enough that I spent ALL NIGHT working on this.  I thought someone needed to borrow the sewing machine yesterday morning so I stayed up, sewing, taking it apart, sewing, taking it apart, at least 8 times, and slept for 1 hour.  If I have to take it apart again, I will just have to chunk it ;o)

Thanks to everyone for the encouraging words.  My SIL said she'd help me try to shape it better.  My sisters (who are not as nice as you guys, but are brutally honest) all said, don't let him wear it, LOL.  So if I can't fix it, I'll just buy him a football ToT bag. Sigh.

• Options
    imageAggieCouple:

Thanks to everyone for the encouraging words.  My SIL said she'd help me try to shape it better.  My sisters (who are not as nice as you guys, but are brutally honest) all said, don't let him wear it, LOL.  So if I can't fix it, I'll just buy him a football ToT bag. Sigh.

See, I love the homemade costumes so much more than the cheaply made expensive costumes. You made something that your DS seems to love. Don't listen to your sisters!

And Belle, the one costume you made was fabulous. Don't stop making them!

• Options
    I love that its not perfect. I would look at that on a kid at DD's school and think "Wow, his mom must have worked so hard on that!" not "That helmet is crooked". Its a halloween costume, after all. If he's fine with it, I say let him wear it and show off all your hard work.
    Annelise 3.22.2007 Norah 10.24.2009 Amelia 8.7.2011
  • Options
    I would be embarrassed but only because it's A&M....Hook 'Em! Wink But other then that I think it's cute!  If you can fix the crookedness in the front a little I think it would work perfectly...if you really wanted him to be an A&M football player.  How about a Bevo costume?
    Liam is 5!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    NO WAY would I be embarrassed. I think it's GREAT! Let him wear it at night and to the other events.
  • Options
    I think you're being too hard on yourself; it is adorable!  Much better than I could do!
  • Options
    I think it's awesome! But, um, Rock Chalk, Jayhawk! lol
  • Options

imagestacynikki:
    How about a Bevo costume?

But then, we'd have to attach him to a roasting stick and carry it on our shoulders ;o) 

• Options
    OMG it looks great!  Go with it.
  • Options
    your obsession with texas A&M is all encompassing, huh?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I just have to say- the teachers will love you! Obviously you can't send him in a real helmet, he'd be head-butting all the kids all day!
  • Options
    imageAggieCouple:

imagestacynikki:
    How about a Bevo costume?

But then, we'd have to attach him to a roasting stick and carry it on our shoulders ;o) 

LOL!  Touche!

Liam is 5!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I think that is totally adorable, and would definitely have him wear it!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"