Postpartum Depression
Options

Need help

I'm pretty sure I have postpartum depression.  It has been getting progressively worse and it's to the point now that I don't even want to care for my newborn.  He will be 3 weeks on Monday.  I have had a nonstop headache since a few days after he was born and it has been getting more and more severe as time passes.  I have no family near me, no support, and my husband works full time as well as goes to school full time so he essentially has no time for anything.  I am with the baby all day everyday, and my husband and I alternate nights.  Even though I have been getting a good night of sleep every other night, I still feel excessively tired.  I always want to sleep.  Every time the baby wakes I get extremely angry.  I don't want to breastfeed anymore because I really just don't care, and it's harder to breastfeed because the baby always falls asleep after just 5 minutes or so of eating, and then wakes up 30 minutes later screaming for more milk like I'm starving him or something.  And I feel SOO unbelievably guilty for feeling this way.  I just don't know who to go to for help.  I hate my OB with an utter passion. I know if I go to her she will just tell me to suck it up, just like she did with my working conditions and all the awful symptoms I had throughout pregnancy.  I'm to the point where I'm afraid I'm going to hurt myself or the baby and I don't know what to do.  Just had to vent, thanks for reading.

Re: Need help

• Options

Please, mama, please reach out for help. Call someone and tell them how you feel. If you can't breastfeed, give the baby formula. If you don't like your OBGYN, call another one and tell them how you feel. Don't give up! There is help. At the very least, tell your husband exactly what you just said here. Let him know that your health and your baby's care is extremely important right now and he needs to step up to the plate.

Here are some numbers to try:

Immediate Emergency:

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline:
    1-800-273-8255

1-800-SUICIDE

National Postpartum Depression Hotline:
    1-800-PPD-MOMS

Postpartum Support International (PSI)
    PPD Helpline: (not a 24-hour hotline)
    1-800-944-4773

GA Postpartum Support Network Warmline:
    1-866-944-4776

Please follow up here so I know you're okay!!!!

• Options

This is an emergency. Tell your husband how you feel and get seen by a doctor NOW. I am so glad you're able to be honest about how you're feeling and this is SO treatable with some help! There's no need to suffer and certainly no reason to put your or your baby's safety in jeapordy.

Please update us!

image Lucy, 12/27/2009
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I undertand yoir situation more than anybody...I had Postpartum depression myself. All my family is in Venezuela and I did not get any help from my fiances family....I hated my OB Too. however, when I saw her I did not mention how I really felt but I did ask to speak with a social worker. And then I told her...that I need it help. Ask for help....they are out there. I do not know if you had your baby at a private pratice but mine were born in MT Sinai hospital which made it easier for me too get a social worker.

Do not stay locked up in your house!! get out walk around with the baby....confintment only makes the situation worse.

take care,

Geral

• Options
    I just wanted you to know that you aren't alone.  Good luck, find another OB.  Can you call your family doctor in the meantime?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Please know that you can get through this. So many women have, including myself. You have taken the first step by reaching out. If you have health insurance, there is usually a lifeline number for mental health where you can talk to someone and get an appointment with a psychologist right away. The sooner you get professional help, the quicker you can overcome this hurdle. You can do it, just reach out to a doctor as soon as you can. And make sure your husband knows how you feel and to get as many breaks from the baby you can right now.
  • Options

Hi!  As I am fighting some depression myself, I can understand the distance and the anger and you'e right to ask for help.  One thing I have found that helps me is to stay reasonably busy whether it be switching wardrobes from one season to the other, working out, remembering an old hobby (for me--baking) and of course, being with other people. There was a site I was sent by name of SitterCity.com so if you do need to get out and just be be yourself.... See if anyone is around.

How much longer does your husband have to go with school?  Can you help him at all?  ASK! Can you watch a short show together?  My husband and I watch Cake Boss and some of the cakes on there are quite something!

Whatever you choose to do, sometimes just getting something done can do wonders for oneself. 

Hang in there,

Sarah

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"