Baby Names

Poll- What is the correct way to spell Elliott?

Re: Poll- What is the correct way to spell Elliott?

• I think this one is all about preference. 

This is also on our short list (I want a boy named Eli but hate Elijah, so he will be Eli/Elias/Elliot) 

• It's a surname, and surnames have lots of different spellings depending on how the name migrated. That said, I'm a firm believer in the Elliott spelling. I used to think Elliot was the given name version, but I have since become a convert.

I figured if Emmett and Garrett, had two Ts than, Elliott isn't much different.

And holy shiz, here's someone with way more time on their hands than me!

https://www.elliottmccrory.com/elliott.php

ETA: I forgot about Everett, Bennett and Barrett...Wyatt, Scott and Rhett.
    Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
    Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
    Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image
  • Loading the player...
  • imagebraveangel2:

It's a surname, and surnames have lots of different spellings depending on how the name migrated. That said, I'm a firm believer in the Elliott spelling. I used to think Elliot was the given name version, but I have since become a convert.

I figured if Emmett and Garrett, had two Ts than, Elliott isn't much different.

And holy shiz, here's someone with way more time on their hands than me!

https://www.elliottmccrory.com/elliott.php

I saw this website! I just stumbled into it. Wow, yeah this guy does have too much time on his hands.  He seems offended that anyone would even dream of spelling it differently.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Surnames don't have correct spellings. (Though my family thinks so. Whenever they hear of someone with their LN/my maiden name, they ask, "Is it spelled the right way?").

If I were you, I'd use the most common spelling. Or, I'd make it easy---either two L's and two T's or one L and one T. I don't know how many times I've stood over a thank you going, "Is it one L and two T's or two L's and one T?" (Not necessarily for Eliot, just for names that have similar spelling hang-ups).

VOTE on my Name List

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• It's a surname on DH's side of the family, spelled Elliot. If we were to use it, we'd use 2L's 2T's, I prefer the balance.
  • The Elliot spelling is most popular. I prefer the Elliott spelling, though.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DS is Elliott, although it was a toss up between that and Elliot, so I just let DH pick. 
    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm surprised so many people said Elliott! I've only ever seen Elliot and I think it looks so much nicer.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"