Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

bad habits

I know my LO is still too young to form bad habits but what are some to try to avoid? Any you wish you had stopped before it was too late?

Re: bad habits

• Options
    No, at this point life is about survival.  We do what we need to do to get sleep and be sane.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagetwo-pink-shoes:
    No, at this point life is about survival.  We do what we need to do to get sleep and be sane.

THIS!!!!

Waffles are delicious
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm worried that LO is addicted to the swaddle but I'm not yet ready to 'break' him of this habit since it means sleepless nights!
  • Options

Holding her all of the time even when she was content. Lately she wants to be held and that is it she cries and if you pick her up stops. IMO this a habit since she is not wet, hungry or tired. Also she doesnt even have to be comforted to stop as soon as she is picked up she stops.

• Options
    imageJaimie01:

Holding her all of the time even when she was content. Lately she wants to be held and that is it she cries and if you pick her up stops. IMO this a habit since she is not wet, hungry or tired. Also she doesnt even have to be comforted to stop as soon as she is picked up she stops.

It makes me sad that you consider a baby wanting to be held a bad thing. 

• Options

I totally disagree.  I think your child is forming habits and that you need to not just think in the now, but think about what you want going forward.  My LO has both independent play time and play time with mommy and daddy.  She naps and sleeps in her crib.  She goes down drowsy.  We are working to instill habits that will make her a happy baby, a happy toddler and ultimately a happy adult.  We are by no means perfect, but we are seeing what we do as raising a child to adulthood, not just dealing with/raising a new baby.

AND I do think a baby who is over 3 months old wanting to be held all the time is a bad thing.  It makes me sad that people think only about what their child needs in the moment or what they can do to stop the crying rather than what will help their child grow into a secure, independent, happy, well cared for person.

• Options
    Chain smoking and the excessive drinking are probably his worst habits. Other than that, he's a baby, so he's okay.
  • Options
    imageMermaidNM:

I totally disagree.  I think your child is forming habits and that you need to not just think in the now, but think about what you want going forward.  My LO has both independent play time and play time with mommy and daddy.  She naps and sleeps in her crib.  She goes down drowsy.  We are working to instill habits that will make her a happy baby, a happy toddler and ultimately a happy adult.  We are by no means perfect, but we are seeing what we do as raising a child to adulthood, not just dealing with/raising a new baby.

AND I do think a baby who is over 3 months old wanting to be held all the time is a bad thing.  It makes me sad that people think only about what their child needs in the moment or what they can do to stop the crying rather than what will help their child grow into a secure, independent, happy, well cared for person.

Agree
  • Options
    imagetwo-pink-shoes:
    imageJaimie01:

Holding her all of the time even when she was content. Lately she wants to be held and that is it she cries and if you pick her up stops. IMO this a habit since she is not wet, hungry or tired. Also she doesn't even have to be comforted to stop as soon as she is picked up she stops.

It makes me sad that you consider a baby wanting to be held a bad thing. 

Don't get me wrong I love to hold my baby and do so whenever I can which is most of the day. I also have to get bottles washed and house work done so for the 2 or so hours that takes which I split up throughout the day I do not want her to feel that I need to hold her. It is important for babies to be able to develop and learn to play by themselves. If she was in daycare they would not hold her all day long.

• Options
    imageMermaidNM:

Yes

• Options
    imageMermaidNM:

I couldn't disagree more. Children who spend much of their baby time being worn easily grow into secure, independent, happy, well cared for people. 

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I don't know if it's a "habit" but I think the best advice I ever got was about only doing things (say during the nighttime routine) that you're OK with doing for a loooong looong time in case LO gets used to it/relies on it.  I mean once they're a few months old, not when they're a few weeks old.

I think the complaints here about people trying to shorten the two hour rocking, singing, dancing, etc bedtime ritual is a good example of this.

We always fed and rocked her but if she wasn't fully asleep that was OK, we put her down awake but drowsy.  We also did bath, books and bottle b/c we knew we'd want to do that for a long time.  Putting LO to bed now takes 5 minutes.  She doesn't feel neglected or unloved b/c we don't rock her for two hours because we never did and she doesn't need it.  She just......goes to sleep. 

• Options

imagehuber22:
    Chain smoking and the excessive drinking are probably his worst habits. Other than that, he's a baby, so he's okay.

LOL. My LO is down to a pack a day but I think he may self wean.

• Options
    imageMermaidNM:

ITA...well said! 

• Options
    imageMermaidNM:

Strongly, strongly, strongly agree.  I don't think anyone is doing their child any favors by handling them like a newborn for the whole first year.

Photobucket

Bar tab = $156,000, Bus to Foxwoods = $0, Puking in the Stanley Cup = Priceless

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"